U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

17,117 posts, read 6,110,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Use statistics. From gross population ...landscape and survival ability.
If man loved the cold so much ...more places of such would be populated. It's the species way of migrating for populating.
. Haven't had tea in awhile with east antarctic plateau folks...
Exactly, the vast majority of the worlds population lives between 35N and 35S latitude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM

12,930 posts, read 8,807,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It's subjective, most people here seem to hate my climate, but aside from summer, I think it's one of the best in the country
I would hate yours in the core summer months and i guess you get even less rain than i do.

Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

404 posts, read 91,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It's subjective, most people here seem to hate my climate, but aside from summer, I think it's one of the best in the country
Summer is great to. It represents the power of the most legendary fire bird

Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM

259 posts, read 46,297 times
I love rain, and hate long stretches of no rain. It's tolerable to an extent in summer, but recent summers here are just bone dry, often going 30-40 days without rain. 2017, although a rather extreme case, went 57 days without a single drop falling, then less than a tenth of an inch fell, then another 30 days without rain. I personally think that we don't have enough rain in Portland - even in winter, there are often decent stretches without rain, and when there is rain, it's rarely hard enough to satisfy a rain lover. Portland is surprisingly dry considering its wet, cloudy reputation - the average is 36" which is not that wet, and last year we had 27". Luckily there are much rainier Cascade foothill microclimates not far away from here.

However, there is a reason the LA metro has 17 million people. Different people like different climates. I find the winters in the Midwest and summers in Phoenix miserable, but some people actually like them. Conversely there are a lot of people who can't stand the winter overcast here, but I don't mind it.

Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM

404 posts, read 91,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaraptor View Post
However, there is a reason the LA metro has 17 million people.
True. Same goes for why the largest cities on the planet are all in China and India.

Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM

2,155 posts, read 780,095 times
old, old, old TV weatherman's line:

enjoy today's weather.
it's the only weather you've got.

Old Today, 06:14 AM

223 posts, read 35,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
True. Same goes for why the largest cities on the planet are all in China and India.
Hmm, I'd say the reasons are rather different. China and India have climates and soils capable of growing a lot of food, which in turn has enabled large populations to build up. The USA does too in parts, but LA is not in its agricultural heartland and its early growth has a lot more direct connection with the weather, which attracted movie production.

Let's not forget soils too as they're often overlooked. Many tropical and especially equatorial climates have the heat and water for excellent plant growth, but have soils that are very poor and traditionally could only support shifting slash and burn agriculture. If you looked just at climate, large parts of northern Australia could be very productive agriculturally, but in reality exceptionally poor, old, deeply weathered soils from which most nutrients have long since been leached away by the rain, severely limit its potential. Where much more fertile volcanic soils occur there can be much more agriculture and a lot more people, eg Java.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or