Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 06:28 PM

5,195 posts, read 1,867,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy z View Post
Which hardly ever happens, even in the North.
Kept weather records for 12 years and had below 0--5 temps with snow many times often all in the same year, 30+ days with lying snow to 15", several blizzards including in April. How temperate. Anyway please don't degenerate the thread any further by arguing about what people think is temperate in their idea. It is a subjective question afterall. We don't all have to agree so leave it.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:28 PM

38 posts, read 21,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
Somewhere that rarely falls below 5-6 in winter and rarely exceeds 30-32 summer.
Yeah, sounds like the North UK. Move to the South UK, hell of a lot warmer.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah, sounds like the North UK. Move to the South UK, hell of a lot warmer.
Nope. It goes below 5-6 degrees almost every night between November - April here with many day temps in low single figures in winter and many nights below freezing. Please learn about the climate of the UK before posting nonsense about it.

Secondly, the only place in the UK that sounds anything like that is the Scilly Isles, which have average lows about 5-7 degrees in winter, and have never reached 30 degrees.

Thirdly, you know this is a subjective thread about what people feel to be temperate, so why do you care so much about my view of it? Who cares?

Old 05-03-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Kept weather records for 12 years and had below 0--5 temps with snow many times often all in the same year, 30+ days with lying snow to 15", several blizzards including in April. How temperate. Anyway please don't degenerate the thread any further by arguing about what people think is temperate in their idea. It is a subjective question afterall. We don't all have to agree so leave it.
Then, remember to look at the whole perspective, not only the extreme worst case scenarios, while ignoring the other side of the scale.

This is a case of not glass half empty, but glass nearly empty. Very negative bias, not how science works - to fit around somebody's negative bias side only.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Nope. It goes below 5-6 degrees almost every night between November - April here with many day temps in low single figures in winter and many nights below freezing. Please learn about the climate of the UK before posting nonsense about it.

Secondly, the only place in the UK that sounds anything like that is the Scilly Isles, which have average lows about 5-7 degrees in winter, and have never reached 30 degrees.

Thirdly, you know this is a subjective thread about what people feel to be temperate, so why do you care so much about my view of it? Who cares?
You were probably dreaming, LOL.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Then, remember to look at the whole perspective, not only the extreme worst case scenarios, while ignoring the other side of the scale.

This is a case of not glass half empty, but glass nearly empty. Very negative bias, not how science works - to fit around somebody's negative bias side only.

The cold in the Uk can kill people, in the Azores places like I listed it's far less likely to. Still not sure why you have such an obsession with one person's opinion on a forum. How interesting.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Is that with your thermometer placed inside the fridge when you read the temperatures?
Well by your fantasy temperatures, I know infinitely more about this subject than you, most surely.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Is that with your thermometer placed inside the fridge when you read the temperatures?
I think this post says it all. The Central England Temperature in winter (4.4°C in January) is actually slightly lower than the average temperature in a refrigerator, so that shows what little you know. I'd actually get milder temperatures than outdoors if I "put my thermometer inside the fridge", in half of the winter.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:43 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,648,659 times
Quote:

Would you say the that Scilly Isles is temperate, while Motueka isn't?

Old 05-03-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Would you say the that Scilly Isles is temperate, while Motueka isn't?
I'd say Motueka is more temperate for most of the year, except winter. Its nights are quite consistent and it rarely gets snow so that would be in its favour, whereas England has unstable temps in winter a lot with mild and cold alternating periods (though not so much in the Scilly Isles).

This question reveals that temperate is a matter of degree and not a blanket term for all but a few climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.