Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 09:44 PM

427 posts, read 245,829 times

Advertisements

I lived in Montana, and looking at the average temperatures in Yakutsk, they sound brutal. If you want really brutal, check out Oymyakon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 04:42 AM

219 posts, read 481,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
No in fact Yakutsk (like most of Siberia) is infamous for its mosquitoes. So are other places in the far north, like interior Alaska which has 36 known species of mosquitoes. Mosquitoes in Alaska: How to Avoid the Bugs
Mosquitoes usually breed in standing water and are thus synonymous with above-average rain. (excellent examples, are 2006 and 2011 in the northeast U.S.)

And the mosquito activity, according to the web site, occurs in rare circumstances. Usually no wind and near a stagnant pond, interior forest or a moist tundra.

And that's why I'm usually fine, because I stay away from the interior of a forest, especially these days!

Old 05-12-2019, 04:51 AM

61 posts, read 40,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
I lived in Montana, and looking at the average temperatures in Yakutsk, they sound brutal. If you want really brutal, check out Oymyakon
Indeed. In terms of permanently inhabited places in the world, you can't get any more brutal than Oymyakon. Its January low is literally -50C. Other towns and villages in Yakutia that are virtually equally brutal are Khonuu (January low of -49C), Delyankir, Verkhoyansk, Ust-Nera, and Batagay-Alyta. Yakutsk is quite a bit less cold than these places during winter, although it is still colder than any permanently inhabited place in the world outside of Eastern Siberia.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:54 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
I grade it a 31.0% / F.

That makes it pretty bad, but for comparison, I've never rated a desert climate that high and equatorial climates are typically worse than 31% as well.

The obvious biggest problem of Yakutsk is the winters. November, December, January, and February are torturously cold; the rest of the months look livable enough. I've heard that due to the light winds and sunlight, early spring in Yakutsk often feels warmer than it is. Yakutsk is also far too dry year round. Summers are amazing by the standards of the latitude and it would definitely be an interesting climate.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John345 View Post
Indeed. In terms of permanently inhabited places in the world, you can't get any more brutal than Oymyakon. Its January low is literally -50C. Other towns and villages in Yakutia that are virtually equally brutal are Khonuu (January low of -49C), Delyankir, Verkhoyansk, Ust-Nera, and Batagay-Alyta. Yakutsk is quite a bit less cold than these places during winter, although it is still colder than any permanently inhabited place in the world outside of Eastern Siberia.
I'm heading to Tomsk in Siberia in a few months to study abroad so I've been researching these things! I wanted to go to Yakutsk!/Irkutsk but they were both far more expensive than Tomsk.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:49 AM

61 posts, read 40,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
I'm heading to Tomsk in Siberia in a few months to study abroad so I've been researching these things! I wanted to go to Yakutsk!/Irkutsk but they were both far more expensive than Tomsk.
Oh that'll be nice. I'd like to travel to Siberia too one day .
Tomsk definitely has a mild climate by Siberian standards. It is much, much less cold in winter than Oymyakon or Khonuu.

Last edited by John345; 05-12-2019 at 10:58 AM..

Old 05-12-2019, 11:54 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
The variety is unique and mathematical

5 months: Sub-zero with variations in solar daylight
Nov Dec Jan Feb March

2 months: Normal mid latitude winter
October April

2 months: Maple Syrup season: Cool days/cold nights
September and May

3 months: Outdoorsy summer weather
June July August
its a very bad climate in my opinion.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John345 View Post
Oh that'll be nice. I'd like to travel to Siberia too one day .
Tomsk definitely has a mild climate by Siberian standards. It is much, much less cold in winter than Oymyakon or Khonuu.
It's not far off from the climate I experienced in Missoula, Montana.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:37 PM

219 posts, read 481,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post

The obvious biggest problem of Yakutsk is the winters. November, December, January, and February are torturously cold; the rest of the months look livable enough.
In my book, except for being used to living in a North American place that coincidentally starts with letter "Y" as well, it would still be real bad. (Yellowknife)

Unless you're a Yellowknife'r, LOL. (Canada, north of Calgary, IIRC.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather