Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate this climate?
A - Perfect 0 0%
B - Great 0 0%
C - Good 1 6.25%
D - Okay 6 37.50%
E - Fair 3 18.75%
F - Poor 6 37.50%
U - Unliveable 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 03:22 PM

88 posts, read 46,962 times

Advertisements

Hello guys. So it’s my first post today. I have come across this site because of my interest in the weather and climate, and I noticed that nowhere in the north east England region seems to have been featured yet in the “rate the climate” threads.

So I thought I would ask you guys to rate the town of Tynemouth in the north-east of England as I have been there quite a few times as it’s the area where my mum grew up.

Here is an extract I found on Wikipedia:

Tynemouth has a very moderated oceanic climate heavily influenced by its position adjacent to the North Sea. As a result of this, summer highs are subdued and according to the Met Office 1981–2010 data around 18*°C (64*°F). As a consequence of its marine influence, winter lows especially are very mild for a Northern English location. Sunshine levels of 1515 hours per annum are in the normal range for the coastal North East, which is also true for the relatively low amount of precipitation at 597.2 millimetres (23.51*in).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tynemouth#Climate

Average Temps

Jan: 7/2
Feb: 7/2
Mar: 9/3
Apr: 10/5
May: 13/7
Jun: 16/10
Jul: 18/12
Aug: 18/12
Sep: 16/10
Oct: 13/8
Nov: 10/5
Dec: 6/3

Average annual high: 12.1
Average annual low: 6.7

This climate gets a lot of fog, especially in spring with an easterly wind and this results in very chilly temperatures in the spring. Autumn is much warmer as the North Sea has warmed up by then.

I went on holiday here at the end of May last year and well most of the country was hot and sunny with thunderstorms it was cold and foggy here for a few days with temperatures struggling to get above 12 or 13° and with that cold easterly wind coming off the North Sea it felt more like winter! Brrrrrr... I dread to think how it must feel up there with an easterly wind coming off the sea in winter! :O The last two days were much warmer and sunnier with temperatures around 17 or 18°.

I have been on holiday there in August in past years but I never remember anything particularly warm, it is always quite cool or even chilly there even in the middle of summer and heat waves are rare so this would be a great climate for anyone who hates hot weather.

The average sea temperature in winter is around 8°C and the average sea temperature in summer is around 13°C. So you have to be the very brave type if you want to go swimming!

So as you can see, it is generally cool or chilly throughout the year thanks to being right next to the cold North Sea. However, it is also very dry as it is well to the east of the Pennines so not much rain gets through. It’s rainfall levels are similar to many places down in the south-east, though with much lower temperatures.

As it is a coastal climate, is it is relatively sunny (by British standards) with around 1500 hours per year, thanks to less convection on sunny days so less clouds bubble up.

Also, looking at the climate chart, it appears that December is the coldest month, which is very unusual, usually January or February is the coldest month for places in the Northern Hemisphere. Not sure why that is.

Last edited by Mr Burns; 05-14-2019 at 03:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 05:04 PM

1,877 posts, read 677,231 times
By global standards it's **** poor, maybe 3/10. At least being on the East Coast there isn't a huge amount of rain but that rain will be spread out with a lot of days and hours of light drizzle but not many heavy downpours.

It's not quite as bad for cloud/drizzle/never getting warm as Torshavn which would be a 0.5/10 climate but I don't think anybody would move to Tynemouth for the climate.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:21 PM
tij

453 posts, read 336,895 times
This is a C-, near a D+, on my grading scale, but I voted D since I thought it was merely "okay" rather than "good." I like oceanic climates in general, but I strongly prefer ones in France, like the Dordogne, that get pleasantly warm summers. Admittedly this place would frustrate me for the lack of heat and probably sunshine as well, so it would be poor in many ways, but its not severe compared to many other places. At least the winters aren't brutally cold, but they last quite a while. I'd also favor more precip here. You should post this in the weather subforum.

Last edited by tij; 05-14-2019 at 08:39 PM..

Old 05-15-2019, 02:00 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
For me it's a poor climate as it just never gets warm. I do think the precip total is nice but the low sun hours would drag me down.

p.s. You should have this put into the climate section of CD.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:04 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,073 times
While it’s winters are much warmer than my winters, the rest of it’s seasons are too cold. I prefer 75-85F for
Most of the year with maybe a month of snow to break it up.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:23 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
It's an okay climate, with mild winters and cool summers.

Tynemouth itself is an attractive coastal town.

Ridley Scott - film director, was a pupil at the nearby King's School as did his brother Tony Scott and Stan Laurel of Laurel and Hardy fame, whilst Andy Taylor therlead guitarist with band Duran Duran was born in Tynemouth, and raised in the nearny town of Cullercoats.

Rudolf Ivanovich Abel real name William August Fisher, the famous spy portrayed in the the Hollywood film 'Bridge of Spies and who was exchanged for U2 pilot Gary Powers during the cold war,' was also from the area and attended the nearby Whitley Bay High School and Monkseaton High School.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-15-2019 at 02:39 AM..

Old 05-15-2019, 02:31 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It's an okay climate, with mild winters and cool summers.

Tynemouth itself is an attractive coastal town.

Ridley Scott - film director, was a pupil at the nearby King's School, whilst Andy Taylo ther lead guitarist with band Duran Duran was born in Tynemouth, and raised in the nearny town of Cullercoats.

Was going to rep you but I've been told to spread it around a bit, stop posting such informative and interesting things!

Old 05-15-2019, 03:17 AM

88 posts, read 46,962 times
Thanks for the replies guys. Being new to the forum I am not familiar with the different sections and accidentally posted it in the wrong section but didn't realise until I had already posted it!

I can't see any way to move the thread so should I re-post this in the climate section or just carry on with this thread?

Old 05-15-2019, 05:23 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
This is one of the worst inhabited climates in England. D- to E+.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:51 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
This is one of the worst inhabited climates in England. D- to E+.
In terms of the climate it's not that different from other areas in Northern England and Southern Lowland Scotland.

As for inhabitants Tynemouth is part of the area of Tyne and Wear, which has a population of 1.13 million and is home to the cities of Newcastle Upon Tyne and Sunderland. Tynemouth has a Tyne and Wear Metro station and is well onnected, whilst the Tyne Tunnel and Shields Ferry are close by. Whilst the area is close to many beautiful rura areas including Northumberland, as well as many rural parts of County Durham.

Tyne and Wear - Wikipedia

Tyne and Wear Metro - Wikipedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather