Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Atlanta 23 41.07%
San Diego 33 58.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 07:50 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
My work office in San Diego was right on the water overlooking the bay, about a mile from the Airport and yet does not have AC, not needed because on the rare days it hits 80, humidity is very low and still pleasant. Snow is less than an hour away and alpine skiing is a couple of hours away if want it.
The "skiing" in Big Bear consists of mostly wet hardpack and, because of the increasing tendency of drought, machine-made snow. I'm amazed at how people will drive there every weekend to ski in that slush during the winter when they could just save their money and take a two hour plane ride for an annual week-long ski vacation in Utah.

As for not needing AC in the summer in San Diego, that's only true until you get to Escondido/Rancho Bernardo. (And yes, I go back to Rancho Bernardo all summer long). Everyone visits coastal San Diego where it's cool in the summer but they don't know that just 20 miles inland it gets hotter, much hotter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
Rain in summer after a hot day is more pleasant in my opinion than rain in winter or cool seasons, short warm convective summer rain is actually quite enjoyable compared to cool chilly rain that really make you unconfortable.
Yes--give me a rain where you can just slosh around in your flip-flops than having to wear rainboots because the rain is cold.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

But being a native Californian, I've never understood why people love rain in the summer so much. Summer is for vacations and outdoor activities. Who wants a constant threat of rain interfering with beach days, hikes, bike rides, swimming in the pool, picnics, barbecues, summer camp, etc. etc.?
Admittedly, rain keeps the air fresh. Maybe not so much San Diego, but many parts of Southern California have the poorest air quality during the summer because of the complete lack of rain.

Also, having more consistent rain year round, especially during a hot summer, helps reduce fire risk. Southern California has very high fire danger come fall, because it's still very warm, and for the past 4 months all the vegetation has shriveled up into fire fuel.

And no, it is not a constant threat of rain, not even on the Gulf Coast. As many Floridians have said, the thunderstorms come and go very quickly and the sunny weather comes back very soon. And you'll have several consecutive days of no rain at all. As for swimming, you're already wet. As long as it's not a thunderstorm, feel free to swim in the rain.

I too, am a native Californian.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:22 PM

152 posts, read 96,040 times
San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather