Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which UK Climate is best?
Bristol 6 23.08%
Dalwhinnie 4 15.38%
Cardiff 2 7.69%
Other 14 53.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 04:50 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The sites I cited all average over 1900 hours. I have a copy of a table of 1981-2010 averages compiled by an expert on a UK forum - Portsmouth isn't on the list, perhaps because of incomplete data.
The Portsmouth averages on wikipedia are from 1976-2005. I think they have closed the station now (like they do with all the city stations - Greenwich, LWC and Camden Square are all gone too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 06:44 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolik View Post
Exactly. Don't know why people are acting like the channel islands are anyway comparable to bloody Bermuda which I didn't even know was part of the commonwealth. I'm pretty sure everyone in Jersey and the Isle of Wight considers themselves British. The Isle of Wight even more as they actually vote in UK elections. Channel islands seem more British to me than somewhere like Northern Ireland too lol.
It was only being pointed out that the Channel Islands are not actually part of the UK & as it was then noted that "mainland" places would be picked I simply mentioned that Shanklin is on the Isle of Wight, not the mainland. Of course it is in the UK.

Quote:
Surprised its that sunny (for the UK) in the summer but all that sun isn't worth how windy it is making the temp much cooler than it already is.
Portsmouth isn't that windy in the summer, at the most you will get a cooling sea breeze. The weather station in Southsea was at the end of the common, only a few hundred yards from the sea, once you start getting a bit further inland you feel no sea breeze at all. As it is a densely populated city the shelter & radiation from the buildings makes it actually feel warmer than it is.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:06 AM

376 posts, read 240,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Portsmouth isn't that windy in the summer, at the most you will get a cooling sea breeze. The weather station in Southsea was at the end of the common, only a few hundred yards from the sea, once you start getting a bit further inland you feel no sea breeze at all. As it is a densely populated city the shelter & radiation from the buildings makes it actually feel warmer than it is.
Yeah that is true its much breezier right by the seaside, but if Portsmouth is the same as Brighton then it still is rather windy even some miles inland.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Yeah that is true its much breezier right by the seaside, but if Portsmouth is the same as Brighton then it still is rather windy even some miles inland.
I lived in Southsea, just a 10 minute walk inland from the beach & I didn't feel a noticeable sea breeze during the summer. Yeah it can be windy in the autumn & winter, gales are common, but not during the summer. Don't forget also that Portsmouth is sheltered by the Isle of Wight.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:44 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
The weather station for Portsmouth was right on the beach. Go inland a mile and the temperature is warmer with less of any breeze.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:54 AM

8 posts, read 3,825 times
London I think has the best UK climate. It has warmer summers than anywhere else and although is very cloudy, still has more sunshine hours than a lot of other places. Also being further south, the winter days are still very short, however at 8 am the sun comes up whereas north of England it is still dark at that time. Only thing is I like variation, London has very mild winters, never cold enough to snow. However if you go 15 miles outside the city, although still mild, is usually slightly above freezing in mornings unlike London which is usually around 6-7 degrees in mornings. The suburbs also have the same amount of 25 degree + days, albeit it cools down at night more in the suburbs due to the urban heat island effect. But if I had to pick I'd say Hounslow near Heathrow or Croydon or somewhere outside of the city centre that has slight more possibility for snow in winter and still maintains similar summer temperatures.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:15 AM

2,850 posts, read 1,970,984 times
Quote:
Literally all UK climates are basically the same, there are hardly any differences between them, especially in the South. It has nowhere near the climatic differences found in the US. Driving to Cambridge to London you will see absolutely no difference in climate.
Cambridge is about 1°C colder than London year-round. But yeah the UK obviously has a lot less climatic variation than the US.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Literally all UK climates are basically the same, there are hardly any differences between them, especially in the South. It has nowhere near the climatic differences found in the US. Driving to Cambridge to London you will see absolutely no difference in climate.
Whilst most UK climates are virtually the same, there are obvious parts which can get much colder & others that are much milder. The hardiness zones of the mildest areas are able to grow plants that wouldn't survive an average winter in much of the rest of the UK.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:37 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaminaby Angler View Post
Dalwhinnie, by thousands-upon-thousands of leagues.

No British climate yields even the slightest notion of "summer", owing chiefly to lack of sunshine, storms, heat, or just their boring stability in general; thereby, Dalwhinnie takes my easy vote with its properly snowy winters.
The summers are the same as where I am, so I'm pretty sure they do have summers, just cooler summers.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:25 PM

376 posts, read 240,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Whilst most UK climates are virtually the same, there are obvious parts which can get much colder & others that are much milder. The hardiness zones of the mildest areas are able to grow plants that wouldn't survive an average winter in much of the rest of the UK.
Yes I understand that winters in say the Scottish highlands are colder than in the southeast but much of the UK isn't really that different. Idk it just irks me a bit when people talk about how places such as Ipswich are somehow superior to London because they're 'continental' when there's only a degree difference between the two. I mean we're on a weather forum and even the slightest climatic differences are noteworthy but I think some try to imagine something that largely isn't there (especially comparing climates in the South).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather