U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 04:43 PM

4,064 posts, read 1,608,568 times

Advertisements

"Are you on the heat side or cold side of the ratio.."
heat. do not have to shovel heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 05:06 PM

108 posts, read 23,356 times
Heat, very much. I don't like either in humid conditions, but I can deal with the heat (unless it gets to like 100F combined with our humidity) and may like it if it were dry. However, I'm extremely uncomfortable either losing heat rapidly or wearing more than a single layer.

My temperature tolerances here in Tennessee (note that it has high humidity year-round, so I could probably handle heat much better in a desert climate):
--Anything below freezing is insanely cold for me. Our winters do usually get that way at night, but those are only light frosts on average and avoid 0F or lower readings in most years.
--32F to 40F is nearly unbearable, but if I stay moving and focused, the air is still and it's sunny, I can marginally handle it. I still, however, avoid going outside if possible because I'd either lose heat rapidly (I'm skinny), have to wear more than one layer or tire rapidly (I'm not physically fit for my young age).
--40F to 55F can be handled. I generally prefer to stay indoors until I feel too confined or depressed, and when I do go outside, I switch out my T-shirts for long sleeves and wear gloves to protect my extremities (more effective and comfortable than wearing a jacket). I may also wear a scarf and/or tall socks near the lower end of this range, while I may remove the gloves if I'm exercising and near the upper end. Our typical December and January highs are in this range.
--55F to 70F is my ideal, somewhat warm temperature range. I make spending time outside a priority when highs are in this temperature range, and I can wear short-sleeve T-shirts and even shorts near even the lower end of this range. Most highs from Valentine's Day to early April and late October to Thanksgiving are in this range.
--70F to 85F is comfortable in the summer, but after months of not being exposed to these temperatures, I have to re-adjust in April by spending extra time in the sun on these days.
--85F to 90F is slightly to moderately uncomfortable with high humidity. Usually, I'll avoid going outside if I easily can, but I'll take ice water in an insulated cup with me if I can't avoid it. Almost all highs in June, July and August are at least in this range, as are many in September and May plus a few in early to mid October.
--90F to 95F is quite uncomfortable with high humidity. Usually, I'll avoid going outside if I easily can, but I'll take ice water in an insulated cup with me if I can't avoid it. Half of the highs in an average July reach or exceed this range.
--95F+ is nearly unbearable with high humidity. The only cases I'd ever go outside in these conditions are if a pride event is planned that day, I need to work outside and/or I need to check on my plants, all three of which are unavoidable without potentially severe repercussions. However, this would probably be 110F+ or 115F+ if it were dry heat.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:25 PM

5,542 posts, read 2,839,466 times
I hate the heat. Unless I had a large pool I could live in, I'd never have the temp over 70 degrees and I'd want it to drop to 60 every night. And no humidity. And no bugs. And no crawling things on the ground, either.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:45 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,318,302 times
I like 4 season climates that are on the cooler side and like the cold. Winter is definitely my favorite season and I appreciate cold and snow. I absolutely hate hot weather and if it were up to me, it would not get hotter than 72 F. It should also be humid and plenty of rain or something or another falling from the sky all year round

Old 08-17-2019, 07:04 PM

87 posts, read 13,628 times
Count me as a "cold lover" - I don't mind -3C temperature in the winter but I don't like multiple days of 30C+ temperatures. My favourite time of year weatherwise is between early September to early October.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:07 PM

10,195 posts, read 12,037,848 times
I like tropical climates

Old 08-18-2019, 11:17 AM

7,036 posts, read 3,905,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzorock0012 View Post
The heat lover to cold lover is very extreme meaning that there are Much Much more heat lovers than cold lovers

Also, Are you on the heat side or cold side of the ratio
I prefer the cold MUCH more than heat. (But I prefer to be comfortable! Comfort, to me, is between 70 and 75 degrees.)

I was born and raised in the heat and humidity of the deep south. It was hell...and full of insects of the most horrific variety, and mosquitos the size of bread boxes (okay that's an exaggeration, but you get the idea). Days of sweat that never goes away. People never look good...red faced, sweaty, baggy shorts, smelly t-shirts that cling from the sweat. Sun damaged skin. Greasy hair from all the heat, humidity, and sweating.

At least in cold weather you look good and have nice outfits to wear. I get that it's dangerous or impossible to travel safely, if there's a lot of snow and ice (esp for people like me). But just as a matter of comfort, I'd go for the cold every time. It's much easier to bundle up than try to stay cool (which is impossible to do with clothing).

Old 08-18-2019, 11:20 AM

257 posts, read 41,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I like tropical climates
Would you be okay with humid summer heat all year long?

Old 08-18-2019, 11:25 AM

1,978 posts, read 643,407 times
I’m old now and don’t like extremes of either. I used to love hot weather, when you’d walk out of an air conditioned building and the heat would blast you and make you skin prickle. Now it just sucks the life out of me, especially the humid heat here, and the cold makes me want to find a cozy warm spot inside. I’ve turned into a weather sissy.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:38 PM

71 posts, read 10,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I like 4 season climates that are on the cooler side and like the cold. Winter is definitely my favorite season and I appreciate cold and snow. I absolutely hate hot weather and if it were up to me, it would not get hotter than 72 F. It should also be humid and plenty of rain or something or another falling from the sky all year round
Agree big time, I love wintertime and snow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or