U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 03:44 PM

13,938 posts, read 8,758,005 times

Advertisements

The quiet.
Around here there are cicadas everywhere and mosquitoes in your ear. The summer heat has a sound to it that has gotten old by August. Night time is a little worse than day - insects and frogs all night long, not to mention the owls.

Winter is quiet.
That's the good part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 03:55 PM

260 posts, read 125,948 times
I live in Alaska so my definition of "colder months" is different. Most of our winter days are -10 to +10 and that is pretty doable for wearing a reasonable amount of clothing/layers and getting outside. -20 and down starts to crimp my style a bit, although at -40 and colder it becomes a bragging point and "badge of honor" to get out the door and go for a walk or look up for a chance to see the Northern Lights overhead or a Moose munching on a low hanging birch branch in my backyard.

I have felt the effects of S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder) in previous years unless I get out of the house and do some physical and mental activities. In a way the winter is good for me in that I make sure to stay active, no drinking and no overeating also a chance to catch up on sleep after the 24 hours of daylight manic phase of summer.

The shortest day at my house in December has about 3 1/2 hrs of light. It is literally a sunrise for about an hour and a half up to a whole 2 degrees above the horizon followed by a sunset.... beautiful.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:08 PM

1,297 posts, read 750,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Seeing less and less of that in FL.
Yeah unfortunately. That's why I want to move out somewhere with more of a defined seasonal climate. If only most of my family wasn't down here in FL, I'd left a long time ago.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:22 PM

13,966 posts, read 9,528,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Yeah unfortunately. That's why I want to move out somewhere with more of a defined seasonal climate. If only most of my family wasn't down here in FL, I'd left a long time ago.
Within 30 years FL will avg 85 + year round.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:23 PM

17,313 posts, read 13,946,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The quiet.
Around here there are cicadas everywhere and mosquitoes in your ear. The summer heat has a sound to it that has gotten old by August. Night time is a little worse than day - insects and frogs all night long, not to mention the owls.

Winter is quiet.
That's the good part.
There are still crickets and cicadas here during winter, although much quieter - there are crickets just outside the kitchen window right now.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:30 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,316,551 times
I like the colorful foliage and cooler days/nights when the temperatures start to drop in the fall. I also enjoy the fall colors for clothing since I hate summer colors. So stereotypical but I do also love the fall seasonal flavorings they come out with too.

I really enjoy the cloudier weather we get here from fall to mid-spring.

Winters are especially good since it snows very frequently from November on through the first couple of weeks of April--and we usually get around 10 feet of it a year

I love the way the snow looks and like the quietness of winter days. I like to be outdoors when it is winter since I don't get hot, the sun generally isn't out and I can always put on more layers to stay warm.

What do I like about cooler weather--pretty much everything.

The only things I like about warmer weather are lush greenery, rain, and being able to swim in the lake.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:52 PM

6,704 posts, read 2,485,817 times
You feel more refreshed and energized - the hot and humid summers make it harder to get things done.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:58 PM

37,389 posts, read 46,100,281 times
Today, in coastal GA, it was 71-73 but the humidity was 96%. Still, it was a welcomed relief.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:30 PM

6,704 posts, read 2,485,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Today, in coastal GA, it was 71-73 but the humidity was 96%. Still, it was a welcomed relief.
It's the humidity that is hard to take but if it was 71-73, not so bad. The combination of a high temp plus humidity will keep you running to your shower every few hours.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:30 PM

787 posts, read 164,854 times
Flowers, leaves changing color, and the cool, refreshing air in spring and autumn are great; don't get me wrong. The dead of winter just feels uncomfortably cold with nothing I like really like though. I'm not a big fan of snow either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or