U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: How would you rate the climate of Biarritz?
A 3 20.00%
B 3 20.00%
C 8 53.33%
D 1 6.67%
E 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2019, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Top of the South, NZ
17,313 posts, read 13,946,824 times
Reputation: 5638

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
When I think of typical Cfb climates I think of places in the 500-800mm range. 1500mm+ is incredibly wet, wetter than most of the cities in the western UK.
Incredibly wet means they feel incredibly wet, while here would feel as dry as anywhere in the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2019, 12:58 PM
 
Location: New Brunswick
2,280 posts, read 1,623,031 times
Reputation: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Ya

Only the same rainfall as my climate, and people don't talk about here being a wet climate.

With the high rain days and lowish sunshine, Biarritz might be considered a damp climate.
I don't mind the climate being damp but I'm wondering about the summer rainfall. I can't decide if the rainfall that season has a tendency to be convective or frontal. Plus if the temperature is more likely to drop with the rain in the summer or stay the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Top of the South, NZ
17,313 posts, read 13,946,824 times
Reputation: 5638
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
I don't mind the climate being damp but I'm wondering about the summer rainfall. I can't decide if the rainfall that season has a tendency to be convective or frontal. Plus if the temperature is more likely to drop with the rain in the summer or stay the same?
I'm guessing the rainfall is mostly convective in Biarritz during summer.

The temperature doesn't really drop here during summer rain -I'm west of the divide, so rain here during summer is more likely to be from cyclones or convective -maximums might be cooler but 24 hr temperatures will be close to, or above average temperatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 01:06 PM
 
Location: New Brunswick
2,280 posts, read 1,623,031 times
Reputation: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I'm guessing the rainfall is mostly convective in Biarritz during summer.

The temperature doesn't really drop here during summer rain -I'm west of the divide, so rain here during summer is more likely to be from cyclones or convective -maximums might be cooler but 24 hr temperatures will be close to, or above average temperatures.
Your climate is different from a lot of mediterranean climates as from what I've read the temperature is more likely to drop with summer rainfall. That's why I'm wondering about Biaritz because in some ways it's meditettarrean like but most European meditettarean climates have dryer summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Top of the South, NZ
17,313 posts, read 13,946,824 times
Reputation: 5638
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Your climate is different from a lot of mediterranean climates as from what I've read the temperature is more likely to drop with summer rainfall. That's why I'm wondering about Biaritz because in some ways it's meditettarrean like but most European meditettarean climates have dryer summers.
Do you mean temperatures are likley to drop with rain in Mediterranean climates?

In NZ, temperature drops with rainfall are more of an east/west thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 01:28 PM
 
Location: New Brunswick
2,280 posts, read 1,623,031 times
Reputation: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Do you mean temperatures are likley to drop with rain in Mediterranean climates?

In NZ, temperature drops with rainfall are more of an east/west thing.
So if you get rain from the west is the temperature more likely to drop than from the east?

I'm thinking that most rain Biarritz gets is from the west because air masses usually move in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Top of the South, NZ
17,313 posts, read 13,946,824 times
Reputation: 5638
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
So if you get rain from the west is the temperature more likely to drop than from the east?

I'm thinking that most rain Biarritz gets is from the west because air masses usually move in that direction.
It's S or SE rain systems that bring the big temperature drop with rain, and the mountains stop those west of the divide.

Cyclones bring the big rains here in summer, and the average temperature remains stable. Convection rain will see a short lived drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Olympia, Washington
1,324 posts, read 733,840 times
Reputation: 1178
I like it. Seems very similar to where I am though we get more rain in winter and less in summer. No clue how sun hours compare...gotta imagine they are fairly close though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Washington State
19,160 posts, read 9,883,136 times
Reputation: 16327
I said C...temps are very good but that is far too much rain and associated humidity for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Bologna, Italy
6,406 posts, read 3,647,817 times
Reputation: 2844
not really my type of climate. Too lush and wet and I don't like 24c muggy days in the summer with lots of rainfall and little sun. The most interesting part is the really mild days in mid winter.



There's much worse of course, but no thanks


D+ I guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top