U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 06:24 AM

95 posts, read 20,069 times

Advertisements

Well, this is a rather unconventional question, but let's give it a shot.

The fashion capitals of the world (London, Milan, New York, Paris) all seem to be located in mild four-season climates. Here, you can have a distinctive fashion style for spring, summer, autumn, and winter. You can dress for four seasons, and you can dress well in each of these four seasons. Fashion designers are able to showcase separate spring/summer collections and fall/winter collections.

Some climates are just horrible for dressing well. Places with long hot summers, for example. Although Singapore and Bangkok do have a fashion scene, anyone who's been there knows that wearing a suit or a nice overcoat would lead to sweat and rapid heat exhaustion.

Places with extremely cold winters are also not ideal--dressing for a winter in Minneapolis or Winnipeg means you're limited to a heavy parka or a fur coat.

Both extremes in precipitation is not ideal. Heavy monsoon downpours means you're limited to galoshes and oilskin jackets. If there's no rain at all you won't even get to show off your nice umbrella.

So in your opinion, what places have the perfect climate for a fashion capital? Any four-season climates? Mild tropical climates? How about in the Southern Hemisphere? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 01:01 PM

3,748 posts, read 2,070,330 times
Just about anywhere, I would think, except tropics and extreme
arctic/Antarctic climates.
Most people who dress “well” won’t be outside very long, so
cold, snowy winters as found in MSP shouldn’t be a problem for the
fashionable.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:48 AM

19,494 posts, read 10,094,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micahdebrink View Post
Well, this is a rather unconventional question, but let's give it a shot.

The fashion capitals of the world (London, Milan, New York, Paris) all seem to be located in mild four-season climates. Here, you can have a distinctive fashion style for spring, summer, autumn, and winter. You can dress for four seasons, and you can dress well in each of these four seasons. Fashion designers are able to showcase separate spring/summer collections and fall/winter collections.

Some climates are just horrible for dressing well. Places with long hot summers, for example. Although Singapore and Bangkok do have a fashion scene, anyone who's been there knows that wearing a suit or a nice overcoat would lead to sweat and rapid heat exhaustion.

Places with extremely cold winters are also not ideal--dressing for a winter in Minneapolis or Winnipeg means you're limited to a heavy parka or a fur coat.

Both extremes in precipitation is not ideal. Heavy monsoon downpours means you're limited to galoshes and oilskin jackets. If there's no rain at all you won't even get to show off your nice umbrella.

So in your opinion, what places have the perfect climate for a fashion capital? Any four-season climates? Mild tropical climates? How about in the Southern Hemisphere? Thanks!
Most ideal would be San Francisco or LA if you want to wear a bit less.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:17 PM

225 posts, read 45,104 times
For someone with a temperature tolerance similar to mine, it'd probably be either a year-round mild climate like San Francisco and Auckland, or else a low-humidity desert with warm winters like Las Vegas, Phoenix and Yuma.

None of these cities have an average high below 56F in the coldest month. Generally, the coldest I'll tolerate in short sleeves is the mid 50s F, although I may be more tolerant of low 50s/upper 40s if it were a dry cold like the minority of cold Las Vegan days. I'm able to comfortably wear short sleeve shorts and shorts simultaneously on most 54F+ days, all but a few 56F+ days (the remaining few being very windy) and virtually all 58F+ days.

Also, I would definitely prefer the mild summers of San Francisco or Auckland over anything else, but I'd never actually move there because SF is insanely expensive and Auckland across the Pacific. My second preference summer-wise (winter preferences matter much more to me) would be a low-humidity climate, even if it gets extremely hot like LV, Phoenix and Yuma do. The summers here are so humid that afternoons can be uncomfortable as late as early October, evenings are even worse with extremely little evaporation, and mid- to late morning often sucks too in late June to early August; most of our drier heat is in May, and it's much better (even if it gets into mid or upper 90s F) despite still not being desert-dry (which would be even better).

Nashville may be good for pretty much anything warm-weather related except natural winter scenery, citrus farming and tropical fruit farming, but as for a good fashion city climate, it sucks. The summers are long and miserable as I've said, and although the winters average several degrees above freezing (enough to grow Southern Magnolia, Winter Pansies, Crimson Clover, Needle Palm and Dwarf Palmetto easily), the same humidity that ruins our summers also makes January, December, the first half of February (the second half is usually quite nice) and the last week of November (most of November is more like late February/early March) feel colder than they truly are.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:01 AM

6,458 posts, read 3,712,971 times
I don't think Milan is that great for fancy clothing. The humidity kinda ruins it. Summers are gross and sweaty, winters are so damp that most people wear puffy down jackets to fight the cold, and the shoulder seasons are not that great either. It's often clammy so it either feels too cool or too warm, often both at the same time.

Or maybe it's just me not adjusting to the humidity.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:54 AM

4 posts, read 643 times
I think a permanent temperature in the 20s C would be good, for jobs where you have to dress in a suit and tie year round.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:12 PM

1,358 posts, read 461,165 times
European fashions fit European climates. Many nations around the world are starting or restarting their own fashions and dropping Euro suits. Loincloths could be fashionable if some tropical nation gets enough influence.

Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM

93 posts, read 258,474 times
Interesting thread. It makes sense that fashion capitols can showcase all seasons!

The following cities have good potential based on climate alone:
Santiago, Chile
Seoul, South Korea
Sofia, Bulgaria

Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM

4,461 posts, read 1,793,753 times
Toyko?

Old Today, 10:14 PM

598 posts, read 469,526 times
Tokyo is too hot in summer in my opinion.

The interior Bay area is good for the US. Something like San Jose allows summer and fall clothes, or even jackets if you like to dress warm. I would never wear winter clothes in San Jose personally. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Jose,_California

San Francisco does not have enough summer weather to wear summer outfits, but if you have to wear a suit for work it's a great climate.

Paris or London are good four-season climates. Winter is cold enough that winter clothes don't look out of place but not too cold. Summer is mild but warm enough for summer clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or