U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM

153 posts, read 30,350 times

Advertisements

In order for a climate to be classified as Dry-summer/Mediterranean in Koppen's climate system, it must have:
--"...a month with less than 30 mm (1.2 in) of precipitation and as a month within the high-sun months of April to September, in the case of the Northern Hemisphere and October to March, in the case of the Southern Hemisphere, and it also must contain exactly or less than one-third that of the wettest winter month."

However, this only applies to C (subtropical and oceanic) or D (continental) climates. A (humid tropical) climates may have dry summers on rare occasions, but I've not found a classification that separates Tropical Monsoon climates into dry-summer and dry-winter types, and Trewartha is the only one I've found that does it for Tropical savanna climates (As, as opposed to Aw).

Also, a place can still experience summer drought - sometimes severely so - without being either a Mediterranean, Desert, Dry-summer Tropical nor Steppe climate. Where I live has a Humid subtropical climate, but droughts in August and September are becoming increasingly common and severe in recent decades, and my weather station has literally registered just 0.07 inches of rain so far this month. I sometimes wonder whether Tennessee may be headed for a future of Hot-summer Mediterranean climates instead of Humid subtropical, due to climate change creating more and more of these droughts... 2019 Drought in Tennessee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:19 AM

3,153 posts, read 1,888,709 times
Pacific side of Costa Rica, West Coast of Africa and Ecuador Coast may have cool and gentle breezes that even feel a bit chilly in the shade, but they're are tropical. It's only feels like Mediterannean because of the cool breeze blowing but still relatively warm year round. No, it's not Mediterannean climate at all since it's very tropical at lowlands with mild conditions at mid to highlands. Yes, Coastal Costa Rica was relatively cold on both side several times due to horrendous arctic outbreak in Central U.S. It's still rare for it to actually be chilly. Most of the time: constant temperatures year round with only wet in the summer/fall and dry in the Winter. Exactly the same thing applies to other tropical locales like African Coast: mostly warm and humid with a freak cold snap once every 20 years, though water temps in Coastal Nigeria insulates the immediate coastal areas from going below 59 even though it's still relatively very chilly since inland areas have seen 40's for low temps by equator. Ok, low 50's in Lagos case. Still, it's not to be confused with Long Beach, CA weather or Mediterannean climate.

Last edited by the topper; Today at 01:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or