U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM

17,405 posts, read 14,039,338 times

Advertisements

Depends on what is meant by hot -even in the middle of winter, there are days when the sun can feel distinctly hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM

4,030 posts, read 1,712,492 times
I'd say the sun starts to feel uncomfortably hot starting at ~16 to 20 C, pending other factors like winds, the exact angle above the horizon, humidity.

I consider myself lucky to have a lot of tall buildings around. Even at noon in June I can avoid it to a great extent.

Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM

10,870 posts, read 9,627,822 times
It's weird but a 80 degree day in the winter here in Austin doesn't feel that hot compared to an 80 degree day in spring, assuming they are both sunny. It's all because of the sun angle even though we're more acclimated to 80 degrees in the spring than summer.

An 80 degree day in summer would feel very cool because of the fact that we're acclimated and that would be 20 degrees below normal.

Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM

107 posts, read 43,765 times
I'd say February to November. But I remember many days in December and January where it's 75F/24C and it feels hot even though the sun is at 33 degrees in the sky.

Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM

2,607 posts, read 1,224,280 times
Being in the sun can feel distinctly warmer than not being in it any time of year so long as the Sun is more than about 10° above the horizon. But it can only feel unpleasantly hot once the temperature gets above 70F/21C and not usually until it gets above 80F/27C.

Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM

799 posts, read 238,907 times
I was told by our Safety manager at work, that direct sunlight adds between 10 to 15°F to whatever the thermometer says, that's why the weather service always reports the temperature as taken in the shade. Obviously, haze, altitude, and time of day affects that. So, on a cooler day, the sun feels "welcome", not so much on an already warm and humid day, and why you see more carports as you head south. That's also one reason winters are considered less severe say, in Denver, than in Chicago, because it's much sunnier (more time with clear skies) in Denver than Chicago. If you're referring to "time of day" in your question, OP, I'd say within an hour after sunup and an hour before sundown. Before and after that time, the angle of inclination of the sun makes it feel much less severe.

Old Today, 07:23 AM

1,143 posts, read 610,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackierudetsky View Post
'Cause I have experienced early-mid twenties temperatures that felt hotter than they were, especially around the head because the sun was shining on my head. Then again, it was also really humid.
Does humidity also make a difference?

Old Today, 02:20 PM

2,607 posts, read 1,224,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackierudetsky View Post
Does humidity also make a difference?
I think it makes the sun feel less intense, but it also makes the air more uncomfortable in general, so I think the two effects roughly balance out in terms of apparent temperature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or