U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rating?
A 5 19.23%
B 3 11.54%
C 1 3.85%
D 2 7.69%
E 5 19.23%
F 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 04:40 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,809,012 times

Advertisements

Terrible climate, but those dark green colours in the Pp lane look rather sexy, shall we agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 06:00 PM

10 posts, read 871 times
F. Vile all year!

Too much rain
Too much snow
Cold all year round

Old 09-22-2019, 06:08 PM

39,122 posts, read 57,017,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorDark1031 View Post
[mod cut]

Whittier, Alaska

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whittier,_Alaska

Yes I know this is most people’s climactic hell but I have finally, finally found it. This is, by all means, my dream climate. This is not a a joke. Rate and discuss if you please.

I’ve actually heard they have insane winds which might bring it down but I’m not worrying about that right now.

Reason for it being my dream climate: TONS of both rain and snow (200 inches of rain, 250 inches of snow), super cloudy, and it never gets hot. This is my favorite.

Preparing for Fs all around

I have to say, it's pretty close to a dream climate to me. Strong B from me!

Love cold and snowy, gray days, rain and wind doesn't bother me. I am even fine with the Summer and Winter solstice.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:09 PM

10,218 posts, read 12,125,430 times
F-. Way too cold, snowy and rainy.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:40 PM

3,704 posts, read 2,051,441 times
Pretty much all of southern coastal Alaska is like that, especially the panhandle where I live.
Usually overcast, cool and abundant precipitation. I love it for the long daylight and warmest
months. Summer is fantastic. However, would rather be in the wet part of Hawaii during the dark season.
Keep in mind that the snow doesn’t always
stick around during winter, there will be periods of thawing and rain. Of course, no where in Panhandle has quite that much precipitation except Yakutat is close with both rain and and snow.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:22 AM

202 posts, read 38,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Horrible climate in every way. 198" of rain? That's more than most tropical locations yet it does this with colder temperatures. That means the rain is basically non-stop and heavy most of the year. A tropical downpour can produce copious rain quickly but you can't get that lift that far north so it means longer periods of rain, albeit still heavy, just not tropical heavy. Summer is anemic, very pathetic. Yuck.

F-
This, except I'll be generous enough to give it an F. What saves it from an F- are lack of extreme cold, summers warm enough to support trees and not having the eight-months-long snowpack Norilsk does.

This climate is so disgusting that I'd have to curse repeatedly and mention the names of horrible people to fully explain it.

I'd be surprised if the ground isn't always mushy, or if it can even support any clay soils at all. That's not even talking about the humidity (which I hate hot or cold) and low winter sun. Plus, it most likely has a snowpack despite the high rainfall, so ice would surely be awful. No wonder the whole town is indoors!

Old 09-23-2019, 08:52 AM

3,704 posts, read 2,051,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Horrible climate in every way. 198" of rain? That's more than most tropical locations yet it does this with colder temperatures. That means the rain is basically non-stop and heavy most of the year. A tropical downpour can produce copious rain quickly but you can't get that lift that far north so it means longer periods of rain, albeit still heavy, just not tropical heavy. Summer is anemic, very pathetic. Yuck.

F-
Not entirely true. Whittier averages 211 precipitation days a year. Juneau has 222 yet has half the total rainfall.
Same with Ketchikan in SE. They average 155 inches yet have less wet days than Juneau. In Whittier and Ketchikan it can come down real hard. Not quite so much as the heaviest tropical downpours but fairly hard!

Old Today, 10:21 PM

8 posts
Handsome climate, which I therefore award with A+.

Snow and chilling rains with high wind speeds are the healthiest and best weather.

That is why Norway is a very healthy country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or