U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 08:31 PM

97 posts, read 17,682 times

Advertisements

In Toronto:

September pre-equinox is the green stage. We get some of the nicest weather of the year with plenty of sunshine without the high humidity and thunderstorms.

Post-equinox until around Canadian Thanksgiving (Oct 8-14) is the gold stage. Weather remains dry and sunny for the most part.

Sometime around or shortly after Thanksgiving a switch flips rather suddenly - no more beautiful leaves and it starts getting chilly, overcast, and drizzly. This brown stage lasts until around Christmas. Winter will try to have some 'false starts' but it's usually mild enough to not accumulate too much snow until after the New Year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 10:12 PM

3,709 posts, read 1,724,638 times
Denial: "Nonsense! It's still summer. Heck, it was 74*F this afternoon. I didn't even wear a jacket today. See? See?"

Anger: "Damn it! Where's that global warming the chicken littles promised? I hope they all freeze to death this winter!"

Bargaining: "OK, fine. At least I didn't have to wear fleece and long johns today. Plus, please, please, keep it above 40*F."

Depression: "I hate winter. I hate outerwear! I hate raking leaves! Life sucks. And it won't stop sucking until June 2020."

Acceptance: "I ate too much at Thanksgiving dinner again. Let me go outside. Maybe the brisk air will freshen me up."

Old 09-26-2019, 10:19 PM

3,709 posts, read 1,724,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleward Lockyer View Post
Excuse me kind sir, but you are getting too much into the political here...

Please stick on the topic.
The whole "global warming" remark was tongue-in-cheek. In other words, a joke. As you were.

Similarly, angry "I hate X!" statements can be just as symptomatic of depression as sad statements.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 09-26-2019 at 10:27 PM..

Old 09-27-2019, 06:11 AM

16,760 posts, read 6,625,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
and a fourth bonus stage: White Stage: Any part of meteorological fall when long lasting snowpack and consistent freezing temps has settled in. Many places don't have a "white stage" but colder climates do. However, if it's a warmer autumn, they may not have a "white stage" at all.

What do you think of these classifications? When do you experience them where you live and what weather do you personally associate with 'em?

Up here, the green stage lasts from September 1st through maybe the first week or so of October. The gold stage from about mid October through late October, maybe right before Halloween, and the brown stage from late October through November. If we get a white stage, it'll be the week of or after Thanksgiving, most likely.
I think that's pretty good. I'm in New York City area. Meteorologists generally consider fall to be September, October and November. Others use September 6 to December 5, the definition I prefer. That segments out as "summer" the warmest 91 ir so days on a mean basis and winter as the coldest such days. New York City doesn't usually have a lasting snowpack. However, historically, deep, accumulating snows that linger for a week or two on the ground usually starts around December 6. In 2002 we had one such snow the day before. We have had substantial accumulating snows as early as October 29, 2011 and November 7, 2012, the so-called "son of Sandy." And last year, November 15 brought over 6". Those are rare enough to be memorable, and don't linger.

Ditto snows after March 6 or so. 1996 and 2018 brought a batch of later snows. Memorable later snows were the "Storm of the Century", March 12-13, 1993, the Blizzard of 1888 and April 7, 1982. Those fall in the category of "rare enough to be memorable.

As far as warmth, there are hot post-September 6 days. However, New York's latest 100 is just before then. And 90's do happen but very rarely take the form of three-day in a row periods necessary for heat wave classification. That, of course, leaves spring and fall, the latter of which is the subject of this thread.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:36 AM

3,769 posts, read 3,654,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
When the cocaine bales are dumped from planes. Can happen any time of year...
Lolol

Old 09-27-2019, 09:19 AM

15,994 posts, read 27,182,290 times
So glad I live in a place that the trees are alive all year long. So glad I can go to the beach or sit by the pool when others are trying to stay warm.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:35 AM

11,807 posts, read 6,580,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
So glad I live in a place that the trees are alive all year long. So glad I can go to the beach or sit by the pool when others are trying to stay warm.
You are aware that deciduous trees are still alive after they drop their leaves right? And I'm sure there are plenty of deciduous trees in southern California anyway.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:32 AM

4,129 posts, read 1,793,142 times
Inland valleys of California:
Gold stage--July-September, when everything is dry
Green--October-November, rains are back
Gray--December--January, tule fog

Old 09-27-2019, 01:55 PM

12,700 posts, read 12,868,706 times
In the PNW, autumn begins when the summer drought breaks. The weather will be mild with showers. The weed seeds in your lawn sprout. The first storms start rolling in off the Pacific, usually in early November. That will knock the leaves off the trees and flood all the gutters and storm drains.

Leaf color depends on how dry the summer was, since trees will shed leaves to conserve moisture. This week I compared a photo from three years ago, when the leaves were a riot of color, to the verdant green of today. The difference is that three years ago was an extreme drought, and this has been a normal water year.

Weather here normally trails the calendar by about a month. If you expect spring to begin on the equinox, you will be sorely disappointed.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:12 PM
DKM

3,278 posts, read 1,141,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
You are aware that deciduous trees are still alive after they drop their leaves right? And I'm sure there are plenty of deciduous trees in southern California anyway.
Fall is when my velvet ash turns yellow and the orange tree shakes off its fruit. Nothing else in my yard loses leaves or changes color (thankfully!).

Interestingly, a local tree called the Western Sycamore already begins losing its leaves by now. The leaves are large and numerous so there is no escaping the fall experience where we live. The local oaks (the ones that aren't evergreen) drop them in December through February. Winter never comes though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or