U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 02:22 PM

394 posts, read 64,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
The most famous place that has a cold summer is Göle, Turkey with temps near or below freezing even in August.
Göle has an elevation of 2030 metres, which is already a higher elevated place than the capital of Ardahan Province and I guess that surronding higher elevated hills or mountains take place in temperature inversion between Göle and its surronding higher elevated hills or mountains, which makes Göle even colder than its elevation.

What I know is, I've been to Göle 2 winters and seriously there is so ****ing absurd cold in Göle and there is no such cold like that in the capital of Ardahan Province. Once you go to the capital of Ardahan Province, the weather is seriously warmer.

I put 7 layers of clothes on my top body in Göle. And even with gloves on, I was like my hands were burning on fire seriously when I was out.

Last edited by The Grandeur; 09-28-2019 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Seattle, closely followed by Gole, then followed by Ardahan.
There are 6 district municipalities in Ardahan Province including the provincial capital and it is a small populated province.

Large populated provinces have countless amount of district municipalities.

And in Anatolia, when you go to one district municipality to other, elevation changes.

For example provincial capital of Erzincan has quite a mild winter with an elevation of 1185 metres in Eastern Turkey. But a district municipality called Otlukbeli in Erzincan Province has a winter smilar to the provincial capital of Erzurum with an elevation of 1740 metres.

Elevation changes from one place to other in Anatolia and surronding hills, mountains can also play role in climate differences. Even with small elevation differences, climate can change more than expected.

If you go to Northern Erzurum Province, it is a lot milder, winters are smilar to the provincial capital Erzincan.

If you go to Northern Muş Province, it is colder than the provincial capital of Muş and the elevation is also higher.

If you go to Northern Van Province, the climate is nothing like the provincial capital of Van. A hell lot more colder.

And Göle is the coldest district municipality ( town) in Turkey. I mention about it because it is the coldest one but I know about a lot of district municipalities in Eastern Anatolia. Not only provincial capitals like the foreign members here.

Ardahan is a very small Province and it has 6 districts municipalities with that small population, one of which is Göle. Think about large populated provinces? How many district municipalities do they have? A lot more.

And met office keeps it to provincial capitals when it comes to publishing long term averages. But daily lows and highs are available for every ****ing official weather stations.

Last edited by The Grandeur; 09-28-2019 at 04:23 PM..

Old 09-28-2019, 03:32 PM

5,503 posts, read 2,670,178 times
Gole is colder than Ardahan. Ardahan is warmer than Gole. Gole is the coldest place in the Ardahan province, it is colder than Ardahan. Gole is the coldest town in Turkey.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:48 PM

3,765 posts, read 3,647,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Gole is colder than Ardahan. Ardahan is warmer than Gole. Gole is the coldest place in the Ardahan province, it is colder than Ardahan. Gole is the coldest town in Turkey.
These are all true statements. I have proved this. Gole gole gole gole gole

Old 09-28-2019, 09:54 PM

4,114 posts, read 2,355,164 times
According to the Turkish Wikipedia page.
https://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Göle

"It has a continental climate that is long, very hard and cold in winter, and warm and rainy in summers. In winter, the coldness drops to -30 or 35 degrees Celsius. The thickness of the snow that falls during the very harsh winter months reaches at least one meter. The lake plain, because of its pit, sometimes has foggy days during the winter. In summer, the temperature rises to 25-30 degrees Celsius."

"Kışları uzun, çok sert ve soğuk, yazları ise ılık ve yağışlı geçen karasal iklime sahiptir. Kış aylarında soğukluk -30 ya da 35 dereceye kadar düşer. Çok sert geçen kış aylarında yağan karın kalınlığı en az bir metreye ulaşır. Göle ovası, çukurluğu nedeniyle kış boyunca kimi zaman sisli günler geçirir. Yaz aylarında ise sıcaklık 25-30 dereceye kadar yükselir."

I don't know about you but 25-30C (77-86F) seems pretty warm to me. Winters, yes are very cold, but summers are still pretty warm, which this thread is about.

Old Yesterday, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post

"It has a continental climate that is long, very hard and cold in winter, and warm and rainy in summers. In winter, the coldness drops to -30 or 35 degrees Celsius. The thickness of the snow that falls during the very harsh winter months reaches at least one meter. The lake plain, because of its pit, sometimes has foggy days during the winter. In summer, the temperature rises to 25-30 degrees Celsius."

"Kışları uzun, çok sert ve soğuk, yazları ise ılık ve yağışlı geçen karasal iklime sahiptir. Kış aylarında soğukluk -30 ya da 35 dereceye kadar düşer. Çok sert geçen kış aylarında yağan karın kalınlığı en az bir metreye ulaşır. Göle ovası, çukurluğu nedeniyle kış boyunca kimi zaman sisli günler geçirir. Yaz aylarında ise sıcaklık 25-30 dereceye kadar yükselir."

I don't know about you but 25-30C (77-86F) seems pretty warm to me. Winters, yes are very cold, but summers are still pretty warm, which this thread is about.
During days, Göle has warm temps in summer but diurnal temperature range is so high.

30°C is well above average day in Göle and on such days, diurnal temperature range can be very extreme.

On 14th August, when the low was 3.2°C, the high was 30.6°C. Diurnal temperature range was 27.4°C that day, which was when Göle's official weather station recorded its highest diurnal temperature range in the year of 2019.

However, this conversation was brought up here by members to make fun of me.

Last edited by The Grandeur; Yesterday at 02:43 AM..

Old Yesterday, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post

The lake plain, because of its pit, sometimes has foggy days during the winter.

This seems to be the key word why it is so ****ing cold in winter.

I've been there 2 times in winter. The cold is like hell burning. There is so absurd cold in Göle. You actually feel burning because of too much cold. Too much cold burns you.

Surronding places have milder weathers in winter including the provincial capital of Ardahan.

Last edited by The Grandeur; Yesterday at 03:09 AM..

Old Today, 05:23 PM

143 posts, read 27,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
Göle has an elevation of 2030 metres, which is already a higher elevated place than the capital of Ardahan Province and I guess that surronding higher elevated hills or mountains take place in temperature inversion between Göle and its surronding higher elevated hills or mountains, which makes Göle even colder than its elevation.

What I know is, I've been to Göle 2 winters and seriously there is so ****ing absurd cold in Göle and there is no such cold like that in the capital of Ardahan Province. Once you go to the capital of Ardahan Province, the weather is seriously warmer.

I put 7 layers of clothes on my top body in Göle. And even with gloves on, I was like my hands were burning on fire seriously when I was out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
There are 6 district municipalities in Ardahan Province including the provincial capital and it is a small populated province.

Large populated provinces have countless amount of district municipalities.

And in Anatolia, when you go to one district municipality to other, elevation changes.

For example provincial capital of Erzincan has quite a mild winter with an elevation of 1185 metres in Eastern Turkey. But a district municipality called Otlukbeli in Erzincan Province has a winter smilar to the provincial capital of Erzurum with an elevation of 1740 metres.

Elevation changes from one place to other in Anatolia and surronding hills, mountains can also play role in climate differences. Even with small elevation differences, climate can change more than expected.

If you go to Northern Erzurum Province, it is a lot milder, winters are smilar to the provincial capital Erzincan.

If you go to Northern Muş Province, it is colder than the provincial capital of Muş and the elevation is also higher.

If you go to Northern Van Province, the climate is nothing like the provincial capital of Van. A hell lot more colder.

And Göle is the coldest district municipality ( town) in Turkey. I mention about it because it is the coldest one but I know about a lot of district municipalities in Eastern Anatolia. Not only provincial capitals like the foreign members here.

Ardahan is a very small Province and it has 6 districts municipalities with that small population, one of which is Göle. Think about large populated provinces? How many district municipalities do they have? A lot more.

And met office keeps it to provincial capitals when it comes to publishing long term averages. But daily lows and highs are available for every ****ing official weather stations.
Yes, I can confirm these statements are true.

Gœl has also lots of metal cans which makes it even cooler in the city centre (well, if we can call that a centre, or if we can call that place a city itself) but yes Gøle is colder than Ardahan, provincial capital Ardahan is not colder than Gõle is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather