U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Rate
A 3 14.29%
B 3 14.29%
C 5 23.81%
D 6 28.57%
E 0 0%
F 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2019, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Greater Houston
37 posts, read 10,933 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
No, Ft.Lauderdale has higher dewpoints than Houston. But it does also have cooler summer temps, along with greater sea breeze presence, being right at the shore.
When I was referring to dew points I was talking about Galveston which is by the coast in Houston's metropolitan area to show that there are areas around Houston that could beat much of South East Florida in terms Of heat and humidity

Last edited by DWC9108; 10-01-2019 at 06:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2019, 02:19 PM
Status: "frustrated" (set 16 days ago)
 
11 posts, read 4,253 times
Reputation: 41
Default Dreadful climate. Why did they build a city here?

We are moving to the pacific Northwest after living in Houston for 15 years. The humidity and heat are simply unbearable. We only have 4 months of decent weather. I often wonder why anyone built a city here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2019, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Katy, Texas
1,020 posts, read 1,812,181 times
Reputation: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
No, Ft.Lauderdale has higher dewpoints than Houston. But it does also have cooler summer temps, along with greater sea breeze presence, being right at the shore.
Galveston easily beats most of Florida in the heat and humidity department. Average July low (1981-2010 normals) is 79.4F and average August low is 79.7F. Only Texas further south along the coast (barrier islands from Matagorda Island to South Padre) and the Florida Keys can contend.

I've been to the Keys, SE FL, and along the Gulf from Tampa to Marco Island in mid and late summer. Houston feels more oppressive , probably because we don't have consistent afternoon thunderstorms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2019, 12:37 AM
 
709 posts, read 221,615 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Galveston easily beats most of Florida in the heat and humidity department. Average July low (1981-2010 normals) is 79.4F and average August low is 79.7F. Only Texas further south along the coast (barrier islands from Matagorda Island to South Padre) and the Florida Keys can contend.
Galveston is uniquely developed for a barrier island in the US - it's a complete small-scale city complete with some industrials, not just the smattering of beach houses and condos that most other US barriers have. That UHI, combined with shallow bathymetry, is the perfect recipe for heat and oppression.

But for the most part, the areas of Florida "easily beaten" by Galveston in summer lows either have their stations inland, or are just not as developed. Miami Beach has quite some development, although not as industrial as Galveston - the summer lows there are quite similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
I've been to the Keys, SE FL, and along the Gulf from Tampa to Marco Island in mid and late summer. Houston feels more oppressive , probably because we don't have consistent afternoon thunderstorms.
The storms would help, but it has more to do with Houston's inland location, and major case of sprawling, industrial UHI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2019, 05:34 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
11,043 posts, read 9,755,202 times
Reputation: 6386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
B

Summers are wonderfully tropical but a bit too hot and a tad dry at times. Otherwise I love all of the rain, the cloudiness and mild winters.
It has a second rainy season in the winter just like New Orleans. That part makes it quite interesting and not monsoonal at all, just a rainy subtropical climate. Driest seasons are spring and fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2019, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Katy, Texas
1,020 posts, read 1,812,181 times
Reputation: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post

But for the most part, the areas of Florida "easily beaten" by Galveston in summer lows either have their stations inland, or are just not as developed. Miami Beach has quite some development, although not as industrial as Galveston - the summer lows there are quite similar.
I actually checked wunderground stations in Sanibel and Miami Beach before posting that, summer lows in Galveston are still slightly higher. Only the Texas barrier islands and the Florida Keys have that perfect set up of being surrounded by very shallow water/lagoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2019, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,407 posts, read 10,562,485 times
Reputation: 5478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
I actually checked wunderground stations in Sanibel and Miami Beach before posting that, summer lows in Galveston are still slightly higher. Only the Texas barrier islands and the Florida Keys have that perfect set up of being surrounded by very shallow water/lagoon.

When you compare Houston and Fort Lauderdale you can clearly see on the graph for dewpoints that Fort Lauderdale is higher. Look at WeatherSpark.

Now if you want to change the argument to move it over to a barrier island sitting right next to the Gulf of Mexico then that is different.

Either way Fort Lauderdale is hotter for a longer period of time than the other way around. Who has higher dewpoints in October? In January? Fort Lauderdale actually averages a number of days in each winter month with dewpoints over 70F, something I doubt Houston can match.

That and huge mango trees, banana plants, Coco palms, etc.

In fact, just planted a nice 7' tall ice cream banana plant in my yard yesterday. The guy from the nursery said expect bananas in 7 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2019, 05:56 PM
 
709 posts, read 221,615 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
I actually checked wunderground stations in Sanibel and Miami Beach before posting that, summer lows in Galveston are still slightly higher. Only the Texas barrier islands and the Florida Keys have that perfect set up of being surrounded by very shallow water/lagoon.
Sanibel is virtually untouched wilderness. And Miami Beach, once again, does not have the industrial build that Galveston does, hence the lesser UHI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2019, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Greater Houston
37 posts, read 10,933 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
When you compare Houston and Fort Lauderdale you can clearly see on the graph for dewpoints that Fort Lauderdale is higher. Look at WeatherSpark.

Now if you want to change the argument to move it over to a barrier island sitting right next to the Gulf of Mexico then that is different.

Either way Fort Lauderdale is hotter for a longer period of time than the other way around. Who has higher dewpoints in October? In January? Fort Lauderdale actually averages a number of days in each winter month with dewpoints over 70F, something I doubt Houston can match.

That and huge mango trees, banana plants, Coco palms, etc.

In fact, just planted a nice 7' tall ice cream banana plant in my yard yesterday. The guy from the nursery said expect bananas in 7 months.
It is true that Fort Lauderdale has higher dewpoints than the Houston weather station though Houston intercontinental airport which is Houston main weather station is around 30 miles from Galveston bay and over 50 miles from the gulf so it's not surprising that it seems lower dew points, and it also has triple digit heat indexes during summer because it has higher temperatures

And I don't disagree with everything else your saying I just disagree with you saying that Houston has nothing on southeast Florida in terms of heat during summer and Galveston shows that coastal areas around Houston do have something on Southeast Florida with summer dewpoints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2019, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Katy, Texas
1,020 posts, read 1,812,181 times
Reputation: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
When you compare Houston and Fort Lauderdale you can clearly see on the graph for dewpoints that Fort Lauderdale is higher. Look at WeatherSpark.

Now if you want to change the argument to move it over to a barrier island sitting right next to the Gulf of Mexico then that is different.

Either way Fort Lauderdale is hotter for a longer period of time than the other way around. Who has higher dewpoints in October? In January? Fort Lauderdale actually averages a number of days in each winter month with dewpoints over 70F, something I doubt Houston can match.

That and huge mango trees, banana plants, Coco palms, etc.

In fact, just planted a nice 7' tall ice cream banana plant in my yard yesterday. The guy from the nursery said expect bananas in 7 months.
You can also clearly see that Galveston (unequivocally part of the metro area) has about the same (if not a hair higher) dew points in July and August. Large and populous sections of the metro area also border Galveston Bay like Kemah (where NASA is), Texas City, League City, Baytown etc also see about the same dew points (if not higher) as Ft. Lauderdale at the height of summer.

Here is August wunderground data for Kemah, TX: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboa...erId=undefined
Baytown, TX: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboa...erId=undefined
Downtown Ft. Lauderdale, FL: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboa...erId=undefined

Not sure why you decided to mention the rest of the year? Of course SE FL is a much warmer climate overall

Last edited by Asagi; 10-02-2019 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top