U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How suitable is the climate for year-round skiing?
A+ 2 18.18%
A 1 9.09%
B 1 9.09%
C 3 27.27%
D 1 9.09%
E 0 0%
F 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 03:02 PM

71 posts, read 6,862 times

Advertisements

How good is the climate for year-round skiing?
I rate it as A+ because it's the best place for year-round skiing. Snowfall is very heavy and temperatures are not severely cold year round. Also, it has 1881 sunshine hours in a year which is good for a snowy place, not much and not too little.
Attached Thumbnails
Rate the fictional climate: Pingerasti Ski Resort-_-16.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 04:38 PM

2,626 posts, read 1,235,662 times
B
Thundersnow is bad for skiing because it provides an extra risk to skiers.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:30 PM

95 posts, read 19,880 times
C

You should specify what altitude the ski resort is at. I imagine it's somewhere around 18,000ft? The highest ski resorts go up to only about 15,000ft. Any higher and there is a serious risk of altitude sickness, which is why I give it a C.

Year-round skiing in the tropics is a really cool idea and I wish it were possible. It'd be so amazing to be baking in tropical heat in the morning and then hitting the slopes in the afternoon. But the very high altitudes would probably make skiiers sick.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:49 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,043,998 times
Insufficient data for my percentage grade (needs record high and low, and precip total; surely it's rained there at least once), but by my estimation, the record high would be about 45 F / 7 C and record low -10 F / -22 C and total precip 150"/year.

As such, I give it an 8.0% / F- for living. For skiing, it would be pretty good if it were at a lower elevation. As Micah said, a tropical ski resort with those temperatures would probably be impractically high in elevation. Our puny human bodies can only take so thin of an atmosphere.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahdebrink View Post
C

You should specify what altitude the ski resort is at. I imagine it's somewhere around 18,000ft? The highest ski resorts go up to only about 15,000ft. Any higher and there is a serious risk of altitude sickness, which is why I give it a C.

Year-round skiing in the tropics is a really cool idea and I wish it were possible. It'd be so amazing to be baking in tropical heat in the morning and then hitting the slopes in the afternoon. But the very high altitudes would probably make skiiers sick.
The altitude of the place is 16,085 ft.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Insufficient data for my percentage grade (needs record high and low, and precip total; surely it's rained there at least once), but by my estimation, the record high would be about 45 F / 7 C and record low -10 F / -22 C and total precip 150"/year.

As such, I give it an 8.0% / F- for living. For skiing, it would be pretty good if it were at a lower elevation. As Micah said, a tropical ski resort with those temperatures would probably be impractically high in elevation. Our puny human bodies can only take so thin of an atmosphere.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post

Since the beginning of records four decades ago, no purely liquid rain fell there. Most precipitation falls as snow, but sometimes during June, July and August it is possible for sleet (rain and snow mixed, not the American meaning of the word) to fall especially in July.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:28 PM

95 posts, read 19,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaheen hassan View Post
Okay, it could be somewhat plausible if the ski resort's main facilities (ski shop, restaurants, hotels) were well below the snow line, say around 9000ft. Then a high speed gondola takes you the snow line (16,000ft) for actual skiing.

The ski lifts could be enclosed gondolas that are oxygenated. The upper base building at 16000ft may be pressurized or oxygenated. This is actually done in some ski towns:

https://www.parkcitymag.com/articles...-altitude-home

I'm assuming the summit would be around 19,000ft, allowing for a 3000ft vertical drop which is typical for a large Colorado ski resort.

A tropical ski resort is possible and would still be really cool in my opinion, it just would be quite uneconomical to build and maintain due to the extremely high altitude. The snow groomers would need to have pressurized cabins. The lack of a summer thaw would also make lift construction difficult.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:37 PM

11,001 posts, read 9,701,317 times
Horrible. I couldn't breathe at that altitude.

Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahdebrink View Post
Okay, it could be somewhat plausible if the ski resort's main facilities (ski shop, restaurants, hotels) were well below the snow line, say around 9000ft. Then a high speed gondola takes you the snow line (16,000ft) for actual skiing.

The ski lifts could be enclosed gondolas that are oxygenated. The upper base building at 16000ft may be pressurized or oxygenated. This is actually done in some ski towns:

https://www.parkcitymag.com/articles...-altitude-home

I'm assuming the summit would be around 19,000ft, allowing for a 3000ft vertical drop which is typical for a large Colorado ski resort.

A tropical ski resort is possible and would still be really cool in my opinion, it just would be quite uneconomical to build and maintain due to the extremely high altitude. The snow groomers would need to have pressurized cabins. The lack of a summer thaw would also make lift construction difficult.
Although snow doesn't melt but in July each year large pieces of snow break and fall to the base of the mountain but they completely melt before reaching the ground and reach the Tropical rainforest at the bottom as a medium flash flood. This what prevents snow from accumulating in huge amounts but small accumulation from year to year happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or