U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 04:09 AM

75 posts, read 7,078 times

Advertisements

Is there a scale which combines heat index and wind chill other than the Australian apparent temperature as I feel that it underestimates the heat?

Last edited by Shaheen hassan; Yesterday at 05:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM
Status: "I want to put my climates on Wikipedia again :(" (set 16 days ago)

36 posts, read 6,869 times
In Canada they use humidex and wind chill. You can see this on Canadian climate charts.

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorDark1031 View Post
In Canada they use humidex and wind chill. You can see this on Canadian climate charts.
Humidex uses only temperature and humidity without wind speed.

Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM

408 posts, read 66,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorDark1031 View Post
Humidex does not make any sense. I abide by Heat İndex.

Old Today, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
Humidex does not make any sense. I abide by Heat İndex.
At lower temperature and higher relative humidity, wind gives cooling effect. At higher temperature and very low relative humidity, wind gives heating effect. So is there a scale which incorporates these effects into the heat index?. Example at temperature of 86F and 100% humidity, heat index will be 111.55F, but with 33 mph wind it will be 98.95F.

Old Today, 04:12 AM

408 posts, read 66,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaheen hassan View Post
At lower temperature and higher relative humidity, wind gives cooling effect. At higher temperature and very low relative humidity, wind gives heating effect. So is there a scale which incorporates these effects into the heat index?. Example at temperature of 86F and 100% humidity, heat index will be 111.55F, but with 33 mph wind it will be 98.95F.
30C at 50% humidity is an heat index of 31C.

When I type the same numbers for humidex, the value is 36C. Humidex gives exaggerated values. I was just mentioning it.

Sun's existance take great role on how we feel as well. A dry 40C without sun does not feel really hot either.

At temperatures above 40C, wind feels odd. You take more notice about the temp with the wind. Sun and Humidity are the worst things when it is hot, though.

Last edited by The Grandeur; Today at 04:25 AM..

Old Today, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
30C at 50% humidity is an heat index of 31C.

When I type the same numbers for humidex, the value is 36C. Humidex gives exaggerated values. I was just mentioning it.

Sun's existance take great role on how we feel as well. A dry 40C without sun does not feel really hot either.

At temperatures above 40C, wind feels odd. You take more notice about the temp with the wind. Sun and Humidity are the worst things when it is hot, though.
I want a scale which combines wind, heat and humidity in numbers not just hot and cold.
Note: At lower temperature and higher relative humidity, wind gives cooling effect. At higher temperature and very low relative humidity, wind gives heating effects. So I want a scale which combines heat, humidity and the cooling or heating effects of wind in numbers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather