Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Victoria, BC to have a warm temperate climate?
Yes 7 17.95%
No 32 82.05%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 08:59 AM

575 posts, read 339,237 times

Advertisements

"Relatively cool winters" ? Compared to what exactly ? I'm trying to wrap my head around the oxymoron of "cool", yet "avg.low +4C". I cannot use that in one sentence.

Perhaps cool compared to Cuba's climate ?

Or is that a term used in the theory, perhaps ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 11:14 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
i don't see how a place with a 17/18c average in July would be considered warm temperate.

It looks like the epitome of the temperate climate.
I was in Victoria in early September and while the thermometer showed 15-18 degrees, it felt very nice and pleasant, no jacket was needed in the bright sunshine.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:23 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
This place has cooler summers than Victoria and yet is labeled Subtropical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogot%C3%A1#Climate

Old 10-06-2019, 11:43 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Nope, Victoria has an oceanic type climate, maybe Mediterranean oceanic because of the precipitation pattern. "Warm temperate" to me means a Cfa climate with colder winters (average 0-8 C / 32-46 F).
Oceanic climates are temperate climates.

I think the best description I've seen of temperate climates, is that they are climates that have some influence from both tropical and polar sources -under that definition, warm temperate could mean the top end of the Cfa climates, which would certainly exclude places with regular snow and frost.

Victoria would be mild temperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tij View Post
To me 'warm temperate' could be used to describe a climate like Bilbao or Auckland, where summer is too mild to be tranditionally subtropical but isn't short either, and most of the year could be considered rather mild weather.

I'd view places like Victoria, or London etc as cool-temperate instead, where there is a period of warm weather but most of the year is on the cool side (ie in the 40s and 50s and perhaps low 60s f). Somewhere like Portland or Cognac would be transitional in this scheme.

Otoh, warm temperate could also refer to what I'd view as mesothermal or cool Cfa climates like NYC, DC, Nashville, perhaps like Bologna, Nanjing, or Belgrade for non US examples
Including all this e cities under one banner, doesn't really provide any understanding on what warm temperate would mean.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Is there a huge difference in the amount of plants that a Cfa warm temperate climate and a Cfb oceanic climate can grow with the same winter averages and hardiness zone?
Yes - a place like Brisbane will grow coconuts (for example) with ease, while no Cfb climates can.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDiva123 View Post
No way. I'd consider it mild temperate or cool temperate mediterranean. Winters are chilly and summers are mild. Similar to Seattle, London, Paris, etc.

For me, warm temperate is either:
- an oceanic or mediterranean climate with very mild winters but summers too cool to be called subtropical, e.g. San Francisco, Porto, etc.
or
- a humid subtropical/hot-summer mediterranean climate with hot summers but winters too cold to be thought of as subtropical, e.g. New York, Milan, etc.
This is just another example of providing a label without providing understanding - how can warm temperate provide a good understanding of the climate of both San Francisco and NYC?

Old 10-06-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDiva123 View Post
‘Warm temperate’ is just a simple label for generalising the temperatures throughout the year. I don’t think it would be used to determine actual climate classifications. The climates of SF and NYC are nothing alike. For the actual climate type, the Köppen is fine.

What do you consider ‘warm temperate’?
My climate would be warm temperate by your definition, but I wouldn't say that the temperatures are generally the same as NYC throughout the year.

I consider temperate to mean the regions between the tropics and the polar zones, so warm temperate would mean the very warmest of those climates

Old 10-06-2019, 10:58 PM

1,056 posts, read 726,150 times
I have to disagree with the popular opinion, unfortunately.

For me, warm temperate is anything warmer than hemiboreal but colder than subtropical, so yes. Places with either a Dfa or Cfb climate (or their dry winter/summer equivalents) generally support more plant species than Dfb but fewer than Cfa, although this does of course vary on a case-by-case basis. Thus, I would consider Victoria to be "mild warm temperate" as opposed to Chicago's "harsh warm temperate."

Old 10-07-2019, 08:54 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I was in Victoria in early September and while the thermometer showed 15-18 degrees, it felt very nice and pleasant, no jacket was needed in the bright sunshine.

oh sure, but my point is that this place is neither cold nor warm. It looks very similar to climates in NW France, except for the rainfall distribution. For sure their winters are milder than here, but their summers are relatively cool (but nothing strange for the latitude really).

The weather you describe is great, but this is what we're having right now, one month later.

Maybe "warm temperate" is a way to differentiate that kind of climate Vs. climates with similar summers but actual cold winters ? (like, say, Scandinavians or baltic climates for instance).

Old 10-07-2019, 11:15 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
"Warm temperate"?? such term sounds illogical in my opinion. A similar term in my system is "Warm oceanic", whose main requirement is an annual mean between 15ºC and 20ºC, so Vancouver doesn't qualify as that at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather