U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Victoria, BC to have a warm temperate climate?
Yes 4 14.29%
No 24 85.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 03:09 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,729,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Temperate climates are pretty much all climates except tropical and polar climates, so it shouldn't be hard to place all individual temperate locations into cold, cool/mild, or warm temperate categories.

Bologna would be cool/mild temperate, same as Victoria and my climate.

then we can put Stockholm in the group as well !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 11:04 AM

17,470 posts, read 14,155,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
I think that’s the problem with the temperate category, it sort of covers absolutely everything except the extremes (polar or tropical).

I like “oceanic with Mediterranean influences” to describe the PNW. It’s the most accurately descriptive imo.
Warm temperate isn't a specific climate as such, rather just a general grouping of temperate climates based on warmth, and the most obvious manifestation of warmth -the ability to sustain higher levels of ecological activity.

Rainfall obviously impacts on levels of ecological activity, but other than that, the warmer a temperate climate is, the greater the level of plant/animal activity will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
then we can put Stockholm in the group as well !
There's about 6C between Stockholm's average temperature (7.6C) and that of Bologna(13.6C) - temperate climates have a range of annual temperatures from approximately -9C/30C, so on a global scale, Stockholm and Bologna aren't that different.

Last edited by Joe90; 10-08-2019 at 11:27 AM..

Old 10-10-2019, 09:20 AM

431 posts, read 139,052 times
It seems at the very most to be mild temperate to me. I wouldn't describe those summers as even being warm to be honest. The winters are a bit cool, while the rest of the year is pretty mild.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunepenguins View Post
It seems at the very most to be mild temperate to me. I wouldn't describe those summers as even being warm to be honest. The winters are a bit cool, while the rest of the year is pretty mild.
Do you think you would actually feel cold most of the time during summer in Victoria?

Old 10-10-2019, 01:26 PM

7,086 posts, read 4,416,441 times
Quote:
Do you think you would actually feel cold most of the time during summer in Victoria?
If I'm reading the chart correctly, the highest average maximum temperature for summer in Victoria is 20C, or, converting for my American brain, 68F. That means that the majority of the time, it's under 20C, or in the mid-60s or lower. Where I live, that's not warm, certainly not swimming or sunbathing weather. Lots of people would throw on a light sweater. I'm sure people can acclimate and come to consider it warm, but if you come from a place where the average summer highs are 27C or more, it's definitely on the cool side.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:46 PM
tij

378 posts, read 84,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If I'm reading the chart correctly, the highest average maximum temperature for summer in Victoria is 20C, or, converting for my American brain, 68F. That means that the majority of the time, it's under 20C, or in the mid-60s or lower. Where I live, that's not warm, certainly not swimming or sunbathing weather. Lots of people would throw on a light sweater. I'm sure people can acclimate and come to consider it warm, but if you come from a place where the average summer highs are 27C or more, it's definitely on the cool side.
Exactly this, and most of the US, and even much of the rest of Canada (not to speak of much of Asia & Africa and of Southern and Central Europe) has summer temps around 27c or more. For me it would still be t-shirt weather, but disappointing for the peak of summer, more like mild than really warm weather (which for me would start at more 25c+).

Old 10-10-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Does cool mean the absence of warmth? - I understand the notion of relative coolness, but do you mean that it would literally feel not warm?

Summer temperatures where I live are no warmer than Victoria, but the numerous overseas visitors and workers don't complain about being cold during typical daytime condition - much more the opposite.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:47 PM

7,086 posts, read 4,416,441 times
Quote:
Does cool mean the absence of warmth? - I understand the notion of relative coolness, but do you mean that it would literally feel not warm?
Well, it can't be cool and warm at the same time, that doesn't make sense. To me, 20C is a comfortable but cool temperature. Not cold, but not warm either.

People vary a lot in their preferences, though.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:07 PM

392 posts, read 107,300 times
It's not a preference, it is an environmental factor, totally dependant on climate you grew up in, hence out of your control for major part of your life.

In summer, my original country has up to 37 'C , yet in U.S. I have an option to use AC ,so I cool it down to 17 'C
That's full 20 degrees less than the climate I grew up in.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Well, it can't be cool and warm at the same time, that doesn't make sense. To me, 20C is a comfortable but cool temperature. Not cold, but not warm either.

People vary a lot in their preferences, though.
To me, coolness is on the cold spectrum, so cold but comfortable really just means that you aren't warm, therefore feeling a chilling sensation.

Coming from a place with summer averages similar to Victoria, I wouldn't say that a cooling chilling sensation, is typical of summer days.

Last edited by Joe90; 10-10-2019 at 11:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or