Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 09:33 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Seattle on top of the list? How so?
Sure Seattle doesn't have much risk of weather-related disasters (tornadoes, hurricanes, etc.) But it also doesn't have uncomfortable/unpleasant weather. Its summers are arguably the best in the entire country with sun, low humidity, and upper 70's being the norm. And winter is more mild than any of the rest of the northern half of the country.
I agree that it is not actively uncomfortable, but a lot of people like moderate heat, and they are unhappy with a climate that doesn't have a hot summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 09:33 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,288,333 times
Lol @ Seattle being unpleasant. I mean sure, they get rained on a lot during the winter, but then at this point I'd candidate my own city for having too many foggy days with heavy particle pollution during otherwise rather manageable winters.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:34 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,737,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Lol @ Seattle being unpleasant. I mean sure, they get rained on a lot during the winter, but then at this point I'd candidate my own city for having too many foggy days with heavy particle pollution during otherwise rather manageable winters.
Washington state apparently has a location that ranks as 8th foggiest in the world
Quote:
8. Cape Disappointment - Washington
Located at the southwest corner of the state of Washington, Cape Disappointment is one of the foggiest regions in the United States. The cape experiences over 2,552 hours of fog annually which is approximately 106 foggy days.
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...-on-earth.html

Old 10-08-2019, 02:16 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,592,951 times
Lerwick, Tromsø, Reykjavik etc.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:58 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
No weather disasters: no hurricanes, no tornadoes, no blizzards, no fires.

Seattle is going to top this list for me. So is Fresno.

Please don't say Buffalo. People keep saying Buffalo has hardly any natural disasters. Yeah, like a blizzard is not a natural disaster.
A blizzard is certainly not a natural disaster. In a big city it can be extremely inconvenient if airport/highways are shut down but what long term damage is done to your property?

Ketchikan, Alaska doesn't suffer any disasters while also not subject to blizzards. Annual rainfall 155 inches and cool most of the year, so perhaps that could be considered uncomfortable/unpleasant.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:51 PM

1,056 posts, read 725,174 times
Definitely Turpan unless droughts count as natural disasters. Thankfully summer humidity is low, and at least winters are sunny, but those winters are too long and way too cold!

Also, there's literally not even two-thirds of an inch of rain annually. Any crops have to be irrigated. At least there's an ancient irrigation system that supports some of the sweetest temperate fruit you'll ever eat!

Old 10-10-2019, 09:08 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
I'd say somewhere like the Northwest coast of France. Always mild but too overcast and not enough sun. Summer doesn't feel like it most days and winter is stormy. It's not extreme in any way but just too maritime for my liking. The Western Coast of BC is similar. Mild but too much rain.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:42 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Seattle on top of the list? How so?
Sure Seattle doesn't have much risk of weather-related disasters (tornadoes, hurricanes, etc.) But it also doesn't have uncomfortable/unpleasant weather. Its summers are arguably the best in the entire country with sun, low humidity, and upper 70's being the norm. And winter is more mild than any of the rest of the northern half of the country.
The winters are mild, hardly any snow, sure. But the fact that its winters are even gloomier than places like Chicago is a deal breaker.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:43 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
My area of FL. Most boring weather there is and hot and super high dew points most of the year.
Don't you get hurricanes and flooding?

Old 10-11-2019, 09:04 AM

575 posts, read 338,985 times
How on Earth does a blizzard count as a natural disaster ?

I'm experiencing one, right this moment, in ND, so would appreciate some explanation as to what I am missing here.

All you need to do is to make sure you can comfortably survive in car for up to 36 hours at -20 C, once you run out of gas.

Surely, that's not a rocket science?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather