U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 10:25 PM

519 posts, read 195,001 times

Advertisements

I only wear a coat when it hits sub 40f lows(3-4 weeks a year.) Love sleeve shirts, slacks, and nice socks is what I use for the majority of winter. It can get depressingly gloomy but it doesn't last long(a week here or there). Drought winters are very sunny, but I prefer the gloomy winters cause I like seeing everything green. I'm in Fresno CA

There's even more sun the further south you go(Bakersfield, Riverside, etc). Tucson isn't a bad spot either. Look out west if you want milder winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 10:35 PM

5,528 posts, read 2,686,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
I only wear a coat when it hits sub 40f lows(3-4 weeks a year.) Love sleeve shirts, slacks, and nice socks is what I use for the majority of winter. It can get depressingly gloomy but it doesn't last long(a week here or there). Drought winters are very sunny, but I prefer the gloomy winters cause I like seeing everything green. I'm in Fresno CA

There's even more sun the further south you go(Bakersfield, Riverside, etc). Tucson isn't a bad spot either. Look out west if you want milder winters.
Yeah, we have pretty mild winters and usually only see accumulating snow once every year or two

A typical mid-winter forecast would look something like this: 56/42 (rain), 54/29 (sunny), 61/33 (sunny), 65/38 (sunny), 73/45 (partly cloudy), 67/47 (partly cloudy), 64/40 (partly cloudy), 49/36 (rain), 59/32 (sunny) 66/40 (sunny)

Old 10-07-2019, 11:09 PM
Status: "Closed minds and open mouths are the worst combination." (set 2 days ago)

256 posts, read 55,473 times
Quote:
Look out west if you want milder winters.
Yes. It'd be a dry cold if it was even cold during the day at all, and I could grow tree-form (California/Mexican Fan) palms instead of just shrubby ones.

I doubt I will, but I'm still open to moving to Phoenix, Vegas or even Yuma, depending on how well I adjust to the coming winter(s) and what happens politically. Plus, they don't even have cold days nor nightly air frosts on average.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:51 AM

11,740 posts, read 13,904,853 times
In... Tennessee?!?! You don't know winter depression at all. I'd trade my winter for yours.
And what do you mean"whatever happens politically?"
You'd base a move... on politics?

Old 10-08-2019, 07:46 AM

1,252 posts, read 494,190 times
Having lived MUCH further north, here are a few tips on how we survive winter:
1. Embrace it. Buy a coat/jacket/heavy sweater/raincoat that makes you happy (a bright color, a great print). Same goes for hats/gloves. Get outside. Focus on finding something even a little pleasant--Does the air smell like burning leaves? Did the ice/snow cover plants, fences, etc? If it's cold outside, have some hot cider or tea or cocoa.

2. It it's too cold/rainy/icy to go out, curl up with a good book & a blanket.

3. Expect it to be awful out. Then, when you have a jewel of a day, you will really enjoy it. If it's nasty out, you won't be disappointed.

4. Try something new, like feeding birds. Watching overwintering birds can really be fun. Song birds are easy to attract, and they can be really entertaining.

5. Like others have suggested, take Vit D3 on the regular. If you aren't getting outside even in the sunny months, you may still need to take it. Virtually no one gets enough naturally where I live, but as a fair-skinned redhead, I'm pretty much shielding myself from the sun all year.

Dreary, cold, rainy weather is no fun. But you can't change it, so just go all in. Get some houseplants to satisfy the need for green. Put some mums in pots on the doorstep to add a little color. Paint your room a color that pleases you--my turquoise dining room never fails to make me happy. Even just a shade warmer than white--a nice ivory or alabaster--can brighten you mood.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:46 AM

4,264 posts, read 2,835,983 times
I agree with the above suggestion. Add some houseplants to your room. Lowe's often has them on clearance for a few dollars.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:04 AM

7,279 posts, read 6,642,831 times
Exposure therapy. Acceptance of what is. Psychological techniques to help you acclimate to things that are uncomfortable and not be so picky about everything. Its hard at first but really beings a sense of peace later when youre not resisting everything anymore. Works for me. I used to purposely eat things I didn't like and the only foods I dont still like is mostly pickled stuff.

Otherwise, move! I live in eastern south Dakota in the coteau des prairies. Snow will fall in November and not melt until march. Combined with double the average annual precip the last 14 months its been another acceptance exercise. Haha. Either accept what is, or change your life situation until it meets what you desire. I may move in the next couple years.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:57 AM

1,406 posts, read 774,634 times
Quote:
Look out west if you want milder winters.
Yeah but if you suffer from SAD don't look at the PNW.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:58 AM

17,474 posts, read 14,169,066 times
Go skiing, then you look forward to winter.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:23 PM

19 posts, read 3,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Either that, or at least a place with equal sunlight and more winter greenery. Too bad most people here would rather plant Crepemyrtle, Japanese Maple, Bald Cypress and Japanese Banana than Needle Palm, American Holly, Great Rhododendron and yew.

I plan to pursue being a businessman as a career. I plan to make some heat-tolerant conifers, hardy broad-leaved evergreens and subtropical winter annuals more widely available to fight climate change (evergreens absorb more carbon than deciduous trees of the same size), help others with SAD and solve the problem of not many nurseries selling certain likely-to-be-popular plants (finding Eastern White Pine and especially Needle Palm were very difficult to do).
You say California and Arizona are places too expensive to live when youíre older but how about the Gulf Coast. Iíd imagine it wouldnít be as expensive as California or Arizona and Iím pretty sure thereís a lot of evergreen trees and palms there. The southern live oaks grow there and the winters are warmer with more sun I think as well. I donít know if your family would do this but how about going on a short vacation in Florida or somewhere to break up the winter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or