Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 02:52 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Change that 90 F to 72 F and I would agree with you!

I grew up in TN; my ex grew up in CT; we lived in central VA in a solid brick house with only one window a/c unit. Summers were like an oven in that house. He would get up in the morning, throw all the curtains and windows open to "let in the breeze" then close it all up at night. I would open everything up and night, then shut it tight, including the curtains, during the day to keep the heat out. When we finally got a place with a/c, he hated to run it, and he was always saying I grew up in Tennessee, I should be use to the heat. My response was always "I am use to AIR CONDITIONING! Not heat!" I guess up in CT, they didn't have a/c, so were more use to temperature fluctuation in the summer, whereas us southerners know how to use and abuse air conditioning LOL

I never did convince him that opening the windows and curtains on a hot July day did not cool the house off. Maybe that works when its 82 in CT, but not when its 102 in Virginia.
Pretty funny, especially since I was a boy I'd often be disappointed when it was not 72+ F.

Funny that he'd do that, closing them up at night on a hot day. I think the idea here is/was when it's quite warm, open the windows to increase the breeze... even in hot weather, the house will probably heat up more than outside, though usually it just retains more heat. Sometimes we'll open ours before sunset and close them by 9-10am.

LOL! Unless you want it 102 F inside, but with a breeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 02:56 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,959,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Everyone in Melbourne hates the heat aswell. They reckon it'll kill the environment (lots of people here are greenies/eco-freaks/communisits/NIMBYs etc). I like heat, and Melbourne can get very hot days and nights, and our summers are hotter, sunnier and a hell of a lot drier than Sydney's despite popular belief.

If it reaches 90 on 3 consecutive days, everyone freaks out and you'll hear "abnomal", "global warming" etc etc being blasted. If these people hate the heat so much, maybe they should move to Tasmania.

dude, you winters are like ....... freeeeeezzzing!

@ Cold Canadian: My dad wants to live in Canada coz he reckons its too hot here, but when the forecast says a low of 5ºC he's like "oh **** that!" Maybe you could convince him that he is lucky to live in a place where he dont have to shovel snow before driving off to his 1am night shift while getting consistantly sick from the brutal cold .....
lol, i laughed out loud at this comment. are winters are pretty chilly, but they are nowhere close to freezing, though we do get below 32F like 80 times a year.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Everyone in Melbourne hates the heat aswell. They reckon it'll kill the environment (lots of people here are greenies/eco-freaks/communisits/NIMBYs etc). I like heat, and Melbourne can get very hot days and nights, and our summers are hotter, sunnier and a hell of a lot drier than Sydney's despite popular belief.

If it reaches 90 on 3 consecutive days, everyone freaks out and you'll hear "abnomal", "global warming" etc etc being blasted. If these people hate the heat so much, maybe they should move to Tasmania.

dude, you winters are like ....... freeeeeezzzing!

@ Cold Canadian: My dad wants to live in Canada coz he reckons its too hot here, but when the forecast says a low of 5ºC he's like "oh **** that!" Maybe you could convince him that he is lucky to live in a place where he dont have to shovel snow before driving off to his 1am night shift while getting consistantly sick from the brutal cold .....
I imagine if high heat's usually accompanied by very low humidity that Melbourne residents might assume that. Here we have a 50/50 chance of thunderstorms when it's 30-35 C, so many plants stay green or at least don't go brown too quick.

Funny, I agree! Or how about the South Island of New Zealand?

Yup, they are at times, frost is common in most parts of the South is winter...
But at least Southern winters aren't consistantly annoying, like 10-40 straight days, 24 hours a day with windchills at -10 C or below.

I'm confused, does your dad hate morning lows under 5 C?
There's no place in Canada you won't see lows staying above 5 C from September to June.

What does he find too hot?
Melbourne's warmest average high is only 25 C while Toronto's is 26.5 C.

There are parts of Canada like Newfoundland that almost never see 25 C. Instead summer is maybe 12-21 C normally.
Winter always hits -10 C or colder and they get 7-8 straight months of avg. highs below 10 C.
Parts of the island average 5 metres of snow and annual combined precip is around 1.5 meters.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:54 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
lol, i laughed out loud at this comment. are winters are pretty chilly, but they are nowhere close to freezing, though we do get below 32F like 80 times a year.
I think I underestimated when I said "freezing"

Old 04-23-2008, 03:59 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,959,271 times
Quote:
I think I underestimated when I said "freezing"
, lol, you're funny, this is NOTHING compared to Northern ME, The UP of Michigan, Northern MN, and Alaska, all places i want to live when i grow up!!!!

hahaha.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
What does he find too hot?
Melbourne's warmest average high is only 25 C while Toronto's is 26.5 C.

noooo not quite

The warmest average high is 26.5ºC but often these days it is more like 27-28ºC. February this year was only 25C and all you could hear was exclamations of how cold a february it was.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
noooo not quite

The warmest average high is 26.5ºC but often these days it is more like 27-28ºC. February this year was only 25C and all you could hear was exclamations of how cold a february it was.
I'm still confused. What temperatures are too hot for you father?
(which temperatures are making him consider moving to Canada?)

Our hottest summers can be almost 3 C warmer than average and our coolest easily 3-4 C. So that means our July monthly average high can be anywhere from 29.5 C and 23 C. Anytime we're 24 C most days it seems about normal, though we average 24 C in June, 27 C in July and 26 C in August.

Funny how Melbourne residents freak when it's 30 C, but still consider 25 C cold.
Toronto residents generally don't consider 20 C cold or 31 C freaky hot.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:

I'm confused about which units you use. I thought I read 30 C and instead you put 90, Fahrenheit obviously.

When did Australia switch to metric?
Do they forecast weather in Fahrenheit?
In Canada forecasts are always metric though older folks and Americans often use Fahrenheit.
Me I know both equally well.

SAB, Is there anywhere in Australia (or America, for other members) that the common 'vibe' among local residents is
"...Life is good when it's under 40 C or under 105 F..." ?
Or how about "...Life is good when it's under 37 C or under 98 F..."?

Old 04-24-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
I'm still confused. What temperatures are too hot for you father?
(which temperatures are making him consider moving to Canada?)
he hates anything above 30ºC

Quote:
Our hottest summers can be almost 3 C warmer than average and our coolest easily 3-4 C. So that means our July monthly average high can be anywhere from 29.5 C and 23 C. Anytime we're 24 C most days it seems about normal, though we average 24 C in June, 27 C in July and 26 C in August.
same sort of thing here, our Jan and Feb average highs can be anywhere between 23 and 30ºC. This summer it was Dec=26.8, Jan=27.9, Feb=24.9, Mar=27.1ºC. That's for downtown, I live a bit inland so my averages are a tad higher. My January average was 30.1ºC.

Quote:
I'm confused about which units you use. I thought I read 30 C and instead you put 90, Fahrenheit obviously.

When did Australia switch to metric?
Do they forecast weather in Fahrenheit?
In Canada forecasts are always metric though older folks and Americans often use Fahrenheit.
Me I know both equally well.
Australia is metric in everyway. We use celcius. As far as I know, the USA is the only country in the world using fahrenheit.

Quote:
SAB, Is there anywhere in Australia (or America, for other members) that the common 'vibe' among local residents is
"...Life is good when it's under 40 C or under 105 F..." ?
Or how about "...Life is good when it's under 37 C or under 98 F..."?
Everywhere.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
he hates anything above 30ºC

Australia is metric in everyway. We use celcius. As far as I know, the USA is the only country in the world using fahrenheit.

Everywhere.
So maybe he'd like Vancouver or Victoria BC. They have a climate nearly identical with London England's, plus mountains and rainforests nearby. Newfoundland's even cooler/colder... probably equivalent to northern Scotland.

Jamaicans like using Fahrenheit still. Don't know about forecasts, but the residents I've heard only used Fahrenheit.

What I meant is, is there anywhere people think the weather's good by it simply being under 40 C, including barely under... meaning 39 C is a good day?
(Sounds like Melbournites think 35 C is a terrible day.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather