Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place has better weather
Seattle 57 42.22%
New York City 78 57.78%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:27 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by operadivo View Post
Well, summer is summer...it's a season for a reason. There's just something homogenous (not only) about the Pacific Northwest. If you think the humidity is bad in NYC you have a low tolerance, because (I proudly say) there is nothing quite like Gulf Coast humidity.
Hehe it is humid, but i really think the inland south has it worse. If you're actually close to the gulf, you get the advantage of ocean breeze.In my homestate of Arkansas, on the other hand gets intense heat+humidity that goes without regulation because of no ocean. Also Memphis for example, i've found to be much more humid than say Mobile, AL. Just my opinion though, I love the south so i'll take it humidity and all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:27 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
I lived in New York City and now live in Seattle. I'll take Seattle's weather anyday. Not that NY is that bad but its just too hot and humid in the summer and to cold in the winter. Seattle feels far less humid, milder in the winter with living plants and flowers. After living out here and visiting NY on occassion, I absolutely love Seattle weather.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:48 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,961,017 times
i like NYC's weather better because it's colder in the winter and has more distinct 4 seasons, there's only like a 30 degree difference between Winter and Summer in Seattle while in NYC it's 47 degrees.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:50 PM

22 posts, read 79,008 times
Is there a thread poll on this forum than New York doesn't win????!!

I love NY though!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:39 PM

694 posts, read 2,652,056 times
IMHO to really understand a city's weather you need to live there a few years. I have never been to NYC so I would tend to compare it with Chicago.
From what I hear it's slightly less extreme/schizophrenic. Seattle/Portland
I can comment on, the summers are freaking sweet. The winters not so much.
I think the rap against the PNW is more due to the predictability of boring
grey more than the grey itself. The weather up hear tends to moderate at a
deliberate pace. Having said that some area is going to flood during the
Nov/Dec rains, much like some place will burn in the southwest.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:53 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
NYC. I love those four-seasons climates. I even like some humid summer weather. I've spent just about my entire life in various combinations of the Northeast, the South, and Midwest, so I'm used to humid summers. Maybe it's a sub-concious emotional attachment to all the memories of close, sultry summer nights over the years--who knows--but to me it wouldn't seem like summer if I didn't get broiled a little. As for winter, well, NYC is at a latitude where the seasons are fairly well balanced and winter doesn't go on forever. There is something to be said for the relatively mild winter temperatures in Seattle, and maybe I'd have to reconsider if you asked me whether I preferred the weather in Seattle or International Falls, but that's not this thread.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:14 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operadivo View Post
Well, summer is summer...it's a season for a reason.
Summer where I was born and raised is darn near perfect. When I first experienced humid summers as a kid, I thought it was the worst thing ever.

Quote:
If you think the humidity is bad in NYC you have a low tolerance
Because Ive been spoiled by the weather of the California Coast for most of my life. This must be what weather in heaven is like!

Now that Im an adult,
I realize that weather is not the end all when it comes to determining if a place is good or not-obviously that would be dumb.

But this thread is purely weather based-and in that category, Seattle is just way more preferable to NY in my experience.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:14 AM

312 posts, read 1,519,614 times
NY weather hands down

Old 05-01-2008, 09:20 AM

42 posts, read 42,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Summer where I was born and raised is darn near perfect. When I first experienced humid summers as a kid, I thought it was the worst thing ever.

Because Ive been spoiled by the weather of the California Coast for most of my life. This must be what weather in heaven is like!

Now that Im an adult,
I realize that weather is not the end all when it comes to determining if a place is good or not-obviously that would be dumb.

But this thread is purely weather based-and in that category, Seattle is just way more preferable to NY in my experience.
Wow the west coast really is it's own world huh?

Summer is supposed to be hot! NYC is not (relatively) that humid it all actually.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:54 AM

135 posts, read 786,136 times
Seattle and the Pacific NW are waaay too dreary for me. No wonder you guys have the highest suicide rates in the country LOL. New York wins hands down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather