Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 03:27 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
yes, in fact Blairsville is a mountain town, near the NC border.

We have bugs here but it's only limited to late spring and summer, in winter there absolutely NO bugs here, during a cold spell in Janaury you can expect temperatures in the lower 10's or upper 0's, so there are virtually no bugs between November and March.

he are some photos pictures of Blairsville from Google Images:

blairsville, ga - Google Image Search
Wow!!! What a cute place. It's like mayberry or something. I wonder if we could find work there? I love that there are no bugs in winter. A bug free season would be nice. Not to mention snow would take away some allergies. (except mold, but nobody in Phx has a mold allergy, LOL) Thanks for the pic's. Housing prices seem really reasonable too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
twiggy I'm sorry about your dad. Moving to the mountains in North Carolina is a great idea, one the reasons we want to move from Texas to there is for better weather. We hate the heat here and the fall foliage there is beautiful.
I hear ya. The only fall foliage I see is the tumble weed. lol It would be so neat to feel like fall was really happening. Winter too! I really need to see what it's like to have 4 seasons. In Phoenix you only see them in magazines and on T.V. lol I've been looking around the Carolina's too.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:08 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,300,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I hear ya. The only fall foliage I see is the tumble weed. lol It would be so neat to feel like fall was really happening. Winter too! I really need to see what it's like to have 4 seasons. In Phoenix you only see them in magazines and on T.V. lol I've been looking around the Carolina's too.
Why sure, we have four seasons-- mild, warm, hot, and super HOT!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:17 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Blairsville, Georgia (GA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Twiggy, it looks like a very small town, but there must be some type of industry there. If you check the site above, it appears that population increases because people come there to work. The unemployment rate that City Data has is below 1%. Sometimes it's just a bit behind, but I double checked and it appears to be 1.8%. It really does look like it has beautiful scenery, doesn't it? AND you can't find a much better crime rate then they have.

Last edited by Jammie; 05-08-2008 at 10:26 AM..

Old 05-08-2008, 03:05 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
the fall foliage there is FANTASTIC!!! i went there in Late October last year and it was beautiful!! you can exepect peak fall colors there from Mid-October til about Late October or Early November.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:19 PM

I hate that you have to work. I think we would all prefer a small town if we could just work from out computers. Why are the seasons such a draw for me? I just love them all. Thanks everbody.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:33 AM

20 posts, read 62,264 times
I've lived in California, Massachusetts and Texas. Pretty good variety. But honestly, the change of seasons can be the hardest part of all. For example, in Austin I tend to get upset about the loss of cool mornings and fresh breezes. We're getting into summer soon and I hate the transition. Yet, after it becomes summer, life just changes and I like it again.

Does that make sense? It seems that my resistance to the change is the real problem.

One more thing --- climate determines lifestyle, architecture, landscapes, gardening, etc. I hate Phoenix because it's too sunny and there aren't enough trees. Austin's humidity can be hard to take, but it's part of why we have a lot of trees here. This is a heavily forested city, and we get a lot more cloudy days than Phoenix. So it depends on what you like. Some people think that endless sunny days are wonderful. The sun drives me nuts! Well, I'm not moving to Seattle, but the intensity of relentless blistering sun in Phoenix would drive me nuts. I spent 3 days there with friends and the temperatures were "only" in the 80s and 90s, but it felt MUCH hotter to me because there was no shade, no escape from the extreme sunshine.

So I guess I prefer some humidity, some shade (TREES!!!) and some clouds.

I don't know if this post answers anything about your original post. Sorry if I went off on a tangent.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:54 AM

another recommendation in Boone, NC, they average around 40 inches of snow a year; and if you decide you like cold and snow, you can move further north!!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:38 AM

20 posts, read 62,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
another recommendation in Boone, NC
I've heard many good things about Boone, and if you know anything about that region of the country then you know how idyllic it is. Boone would be in my top 20 list of places I'd like to live. Great university, gorgeous mountains, year-round outdoor activities (from skiing to fishing to hiking and camping), and you get all of this within a short drive to cities that have all the amenities of urban living.

What's not to like?

Old 05-20-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-DT View Post
I've heard many good things about Boone, and if you know anything about that region of the country then you know how idyllic it is. Boone would be in my top 20 list of places I'd like to live. Great university, gorgeous mountains, year-round outdoor activities (from skiing to fishing to hiking and camping), and you get all of this within a short drive to cities that have all the amenities of urban living.

What's not to like?
yea seriously, Boone is an awesome town with lots of oppurtunities and I love that town in Winter!!!!!

i think any town in Western NC is cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather