Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:23 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,080 times

Advertisements

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

This is my favorite quote:

"The study was based on sea-surface temperatures of currents that move heat around the world, and vary from decade to decade. This regional cooling effect may temporarily neutralize the long- term warming phenomenon caused by heat-trapping greenhouse gases building up around the earth, said Richard Wood, a research scientist at the Met Office Hadley Centre, a U.K. provider of environmental and weather-related services.

"``Those natural climate variations could be stronger than the global-warming trend over the next 10-year period,'' Wood said in an interview. ``Without knowing that, you might erroneously think there's no global warming going on.''"

If that doesn't qualify as faith then I don't know what does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 11:40 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Amen... brother!

I will never understand how we, as a people, can be so pompous to think we can predict climate change from our collective 1 second snapshot of our world's history...

When in doubt... follow the money

Old 05-10-2008, 10:30 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Amen... brother!

I will never understand how we, as a people, can be so pompous to think we can predict climate change from our collective 1 second snapshot of our world's history...

When in doubt... follow the money
Yup, I have to agree with you. I don't personally believe in global warming or global cooling. For me, there's a Supreme Being who is controlling it all and he's not in if for the money like the alarmists are.

I hesitate because I just posted this in another thread, BUT TWC has just said that April was the coolest April for the U.S. for the past 114 years. Now actually, I'm not sure if that means that records were only kept for that long, OR if it was cooler 114 years ago. Maybe someone can enlighten me on that.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:26 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,959,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Yup, I have to agree with you. I don't personally believe in global warming or global cooling. For me, there's a Supreme Being who is controlling it all and he's not in if for the money like the alarmists are.

I hesitate because I just posted this in another thread, BUT TWC has just said that April was the coolest April for the U.S. for the past 114 years. Now actually, I'm not sure if that means that records were only kept for that long, OR if it was cooler 114 years ago. Maybe someone can enlighten me on that.
it WAS cooler 114 years ago; however it's all part of a natural balance. For example, from 1550-1850 there was a "Little Ice Age" in a lot of the world, for goodness sake the Thames River in London froze!!! BUT, before that from 1200-1500 there was a "Medieval Warm Period" where the tempereatures ware much warmer than from 1550-1850 and very similar to the temperatures now. Like I said before, it's all a natural balance; it isn't "global warming". we are probably still recovering from that "Little Ice Age", and in about 10 years will probably be in another cool period.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:35 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
OMG DX, Thank you for refreshing my memory. I've read that before and I totally believe it. I guess I was thinking of record-keeping in my own area since we were "settled" much later then a lot of the U.S. was. Thanks again.

Wonder who they blamed for the mini ice age.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:53 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,959,271 times
Quote:
OMG DX, Thank you for refreshing my memory. I've read that before and I totally believe it. I guess I was thinking of record-keeping in my own area since we were "settled" much later then a lot of the U.S. was. Thanks again.

Wonder who they blamed for the mini ice age.
no problem, anything to help out.

yeah, me too i wonder who they blame the "mini ice age" on also.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:44 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,352 times
Quote:

It was the 29th coolest.

I still think 114 years isn't anywhere near enough to indicate a trend though.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:51 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:

Totally agree, Jammie... and the rest of you!

Old 05-12-2008, 05:52 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
no problem, anything to help out.

yeah, me too i wonder who they blame the "mini ice age" on also.

I have heard two theories on the Little Ice Age and its cause.

1- The earth wobbled on it axis. Which would cause a change in currents both air and water and result in a climatic change? This happens on documented intervals, and has always resulted in changed weather patterns. I also find it interesting that this “Ice Age” was the cause of the first wave of German immigrates coming to the Americas.

2- Volcanoes put sufficient dust and SO4 in the atmosphere which in turn reflected heat/energy from the sun back out into space and allowed a cooling period.

I think the general theory is it was some of both that resulted in the little ice Age.

That said, I do think we are headed into a period of Global Warming. How severe is still a guess, but recognizing the warming process is as plain as the nose on your face.

The issue of how long the time period or measuring period covers is millions of years, not 114 years mentioned in a different post.

Ice cores are being pulled, and gas levels checked in at intervals which show CO2 levels as well as other Greenhouse gasses and weather conditions for that period of time. We have now past those tested levels for green house gasses.

The issue now is not if we have Global Warming, but how we prepare for the results of that warming. Researchers I know have fears of global ocean currents changing. This will result in massive weather changes world wide. Others have discussed a shift in ocean pH as rains strip CO2 and return weak Carbonic acid. A shift in ph by just a fraction of a pH unit could cause a break in the food chain which would reach all living things on this planet.

I don’t think I need to review the potential of high water of lost of salinity in the oceans and its effect on marine life.

We have danced to the piper for a long time and I fear the price will be a hard one to pay.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:06 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Smile Global warming is probably a good thing for me

I'm a Canadian and I'd like to live in a sub-tropical to tropical climate.

It'd be much easier if the tropics came to me.

I'd like to see Toronto's annual average high of 52 F go to at least 75 F.
I'd like to see Toronto's average January high of 27 F go to at least 57 F.
I'd like also to see Toronto's average July high of 80 F get bumped up somewhere between 85-90 F.

No more very cold winters, cold springs, warmish summers and cold autums.
I'd like cool winters, warm springs, hot summers and warm autumns... Or just plain summer year-round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather