Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:57 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,036 times

Advertisements

Mediterranean climates, tropics and the deserts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 12:45 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,370,358 times
I'd say Norilsk, and I think it's hard to beat even with the highest subjectivity.
I ever wonder how a +100,000 people city has propered there.

Average lows and highs:
Jan: -30.7ºC / -23.6ºC
Feb: -31.0ºC / -23.9ºC
Mar: -26.4ºC / -18.4ºC
Apr: -18.5ºC / -10.0ºC
May: -8.4ºC / -1.7ºC
Jun: 3.2ºC / 10.4ºC
Jul: 10.0ºC / 18.2ºC
Aug: 7.6ºC / 15.0ºC
Sep: 1.2ºC / 6.9ºC
Oct: -12.5ºC / -6.7ºC
Nov: -23.9ºC / -16.9ºC
Dec: -28.9ºC / -21.6ºC

This link from a Spanish Weather Forum provides some stunning images from Norilsk: Norilsk, la última ciudad

I don't think any other cold city can match this, not even Jakutsk. Even Oymyakon (not a city) has better summers. I don't think any cool gloomy city can get close. Rejkjavik or Ushuaia are paradises in comparison.
Obviously some will focus on hot cities, and there subjectivity comes. I'd say Makkah has worst weather in this regard, but Norilsk looks muuuuch more uninhabitable to me: 8 months of a frozen hell, with constant risks of frostbite. 3 months of rather miserable weather and just one acceptable month.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:13 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,383,744 times
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia forecasted maximum for tomorrow 41°C, it is still May
Norilsk, Krasnoyarsk krai, Russia forecasted maximum for tomorrow -2°C, it is already May

Old 12-07-2014, 06:18 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times
Singapore, Glasgow, Mecca, Montreal, Hong Kong and Moscow.

Of course there are others that are much worse, but I chose popular cities.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:59 AM

110 posts, read 130,120 times
I always say the arid cities of the Sahel (Niamey, Khartoum), northwest India and Pakistan (Karachi, Jaipur, Delhi, Hyderabad), and the low deserts of the Southwest (Phoenix, Las Vegas, Yuma, Tucson). It can be lethal to live in the summer as wet-bulb temperatures can teach above 30°C (86°F) which means any physical activity can cause hyperthermia. Moteover, having mornings above 30°C (86°F) is just intolerable since one just cannot sleep. Mote than that, the summer humidity in these places – often seen as a “saving grace” for these horrible climates, is often high due to monsoons that do not always bring much rain, but do bring the dangerous wet-bulb temperatures noted above.

The paradox is that, as ecologists like Dustin Rubinstein and Carlos Botero have demonstrated, these dreadful climates, and similar ones in Australia, are critical to the existence of civilisation because they are so good at encouraging cooperative behaviour due probably to the generally very low heterotrophic biomass. In contrast, many of the very most hospitable environments – Europe, temperate South America, New Zealand – are naturally too egalitarian to allow civilisations to develop, as are the protein-rich polar regions.

Last edited by mianfei; 05-20-2015 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 05-20-2015, 06:59 AM

1,011 posts, read 715,250 times
Seriously I think Fuxton has the worst weather right now. 8°C with constant rain and cloud every single day in May. I'd swap with anyone.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:15 AM

110 posts, read 130,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
I don't think any other cold city can match this, not even Jakutsk. Even Oymyakon (not a city) has better summers. I don’t think any cool gloomy city can get close. Rejkjavik or Ushuaia are paradises in comparison.
Obviously some will focus on hot cities, and there subjectivity comes. I'd say Makkah has worst weather in this regard, but Norilsk looks muuuuch more uninhabitable to me: 8 months of a frozen hell, with constant risks of frostbite. 3 months of rather miserable weather and just one acceptable month.
Norilsk is certainly terrible, even though its existence is related exclusively to nickel mining (almost like a giant company town sitting on the richest ores of that metal outside New Caledonia). It not only has brutal winters but the summers are dull and rainy (up to 800 hours duller than interior Siberia due to the Arctic Ocean influence) and are even shorter.

Last edited by mianfei; 05-20-2015 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: Formatting

Old 05-20-2015, 07:52 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,989,140 times
I wrote it again in another thread. Each city or place has extremely cold or hot or too gloomy climate is the worst to me and not livable.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:18 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mianfei View Post
The paradox is that, as ecologists like Dustin Rubinstein and Carlos Botero have demonstrated, these dreadful climates, and similar ones in Australia, are critical to the existence of civilisation because they are so good at encouraging cooperative behaviour due probably to the generally very low heterotrophic biomass. In contrast, many of the very most hospitable environments – Europe, temperate South America, New Zealand – are naturally too egalitarian to allow civilisations to develop, as are the protein-rich polar regions.
Isn't that ignoring the fact that civilizations did develop in Europe?

Temperate South America looks like a harsher climate than higher altitude tropical central/south america, where the civilizations developed.

I don't think Australia could be regarded as having Aboriginal civilizations, just societies. NZ by comparison appeared to have a higher level of cooperative behavior and a more organized society

Old 05-20-2015, 07:18 PM

824 posts, read 688,288 times
Not sure if this is the worst one, but it's pretty bad:
Nagpur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather