Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 06:12 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,175,036 times

Advertisements

I just have a few questions in regards to precipitation and humidity levels so I will be as straightforward as I can be about this topic:

1. Do precipitation patterns in a given season or a given year influence the overall humidity levels in the region in question?

2. If a specified region is wetter than the average conditions, would this imply that the overall humidity levels would also be elevated(i.e. more humid than it would otherwise be in the location discussed)?

3. Do drought conditions tend to be associated with lower than average levels of humidity in a given location?

All insightful information and knowledge on this topic is greatly valued and appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 04:08 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,530,148 times
Well yes. Wet summer climates have horrendous humidity in summer, and mediterranean type climates generally have way less humid summers.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:09 AM

13,436 posts, read 8,972,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Well yes. Wet summer climates have horrendous humidity in summer, and mediterranean type climates generally have way less humid summers.
In general that is true, although Malta is an exception to that rule. Summers are bone dry but humidity is very high due to being a small Island with no very high ground & being surrounded by warm water...

Old 08-09-2017, 10:21 AM

3,990 posts, read 3,383,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I just have a few questions in regards to precipitation and humidity levels so I will be as straightforward as I can be about this topic:

1. Do precipitation patterns in a given season or a given year influence the overall humidity levels in the region in question?
Yes, compare for example the very wet July 2014 and the very dry August 2012.

Quote:
2. If a specified region is wetter than the average conditions, would this imply that the overall humidity levels would also be elevated(i.e. more humid than it would otherwise be in the location discussed)?
Yes, look at the example above.

Quote:
3. Do drought conditions tend to be associated with lower than average levels of humidity in a given location?
Yes, look at August 2012 above.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,173,332 times
A stagnant high pressure system with hot seawater underneath can lead to high dewpoints but low precipitation. Mediterranean Sea climates is a classic example, but a stuck Bermuda High over the Atlantic can result in something similar. One of the hottest month (and definitely most humid) long spells in recent decades here, but not much rainfall until the end when the airmass started to weaken. Here's 2013, you can see the dews were stuck at around 70°F with little variation:

more typical year [that spike in early September is an obvious error] has lower dewpoint averages and more variability:

July 2016 was even drier than 2013; also fairly hot, but dewpoints more normal [though still a bit above average] so low relative humidity. More typical drought conditions. Very wet summer weather here can often be with cooler than usual weather; more fronts and colder air influx. So a bit lower dews than usual, higher relative humidity.

So, depends on season & climate. I think overall it's correct, especially outside summer that wetter = more humid [but probably correlates a bit more with relative humidity than dewpoint].

source for plots

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plo...i=100&_fmt=png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather