Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 05:45 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here, or anyone you know grow a beard when it's cold?

I tried it last winter and was shocked how much warmer it made my head.
It did almost nothing to keep my ears from stinging,
but I was amazed that it practically stopped my nose from stinging.
Unless it was extremely windy, I could only feel a frosty nip in the air
from my cheek-bones and up,
even though my beard only went half-way up my cheeks,
but down to the start of my neck.

The thing that surprised me most is that the main thing my beard did
was act like a pre-heater to my respitory passages.
Even when it was say 15 F outside, the air at the back of my throat was still at least 70 F when I wasn't breathing in too quick.

I was also impressed that for me,
going from smooth-skined to a beard with whiskers at 1 inch long
makes more extra warmth than growing out the hair on my head 2+ inches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 07:05 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
I don't.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:06 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times
LOL.....When I get old enough to grow one, I will . For now......all I got is a moustache and hair growing from the Adam's apple area up to just left of both of my ears....shouldn't be long before I grow one fully

Old 10-17-2008, 08:36 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,452,494 times
Well when I was in South Lake Tahoe in December I didn't shave for a few weeks because I had a shoddy razor, so instead I let it grow and it did make my head a bit warmer.

I kept it (obviously small enough to not look ragged) for this winter in NZ and I felt quite a bit warmer.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I don't.
You should get a costume beard...
How about you try one for Halloween?

Since we're at nearly the same latitude,
I suspect your Halloween evening will be cold, (under 50 F)
and perhaps quite cold (under 40 F) just like here...

In other words, Halloween will likely have good beard-appreciating weather.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:13 AM

I'm not a fan of Halloween. I did think about getting one of those t-shirts that says, "This is my costume", but decided not to.

It's hard to say what my temps will be. It's been an unsual year. Spring first came in mid-June. Then it seemed that autumn visited us the day after Labor Day and it seemed to linger for several days. The past month our lows have actually been above average. We've often had snow on the ground for Halloween, but this year it doesn't look like that's going to happen which is fine with me.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I'm not a fan of Halloween. I did think about getting one of those t-shirts that says, "This is my costume", but decided not to.

It's hard to say what my temps will be. It's been an unsual year. Spring first came in mid-June. Then it seemed that autumn visited us the day after Labor Day and it seemed to linger for several days. The past month our lows have actually been above average. We've often had snow on the ground for Halloween, but this year it doesn't look like that's going to happen which is fine with me.
Awe... Still if you change your mind it'd be a great excuse to try one.

I forgot how much affect we get from the Great Lakes to block or weaken warm fronts and diminish arctic blasts.
I don't think it's ever been 70 F on Halloween in my lifetime, but we've always had a high of at least 35 F.

Today it looks like parts of SD are above 68 F while a short drive to the Canadian border the highs are only in the 40's or lower, and no place in Canada is even in the 60's F today.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:33 PM

Yes, actually our temps were in the 70s today. Haven't checked for the exact official number yet though. This was an exceptionally beautiful day for us because our avg. high for the day is 61.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:26 AM

641 posts, read 2,370,037 times
Sometimes, especially when no-shave november comes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather