Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 02:17 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,649 times

Advertisements

"fictional" climate data from my Island:

Tym City, New Floridania
Latitude 21.9*N

Valid 1st- 31st August, 2009

Highest Temperature: 38.1°C/100.6°F (6th)
Lowest Temperature: 20.8°C/69.4°F (3rd)
Mean Maximum: 33c/91.4f
Mean Minimum: 23.6c/74.5f
Mean Temperature: 28.3c/82.9f
---------------------
Lowest Maximum: 29.5c/85.1f (23rd)
Highest Minimum: 27.2c/81f (5th)
---------------------
Precipitation: 462mm/18.2"
Days with rain >1mm: 23
Days with rain: 26
Most in one day: 77.2mm/3.04" (10th)
---------------------
Sunshine hours: 234.3
Most in one day: 11.4 (29th)
Sunless days: 4
---------------------
Days with Sleet/Snow: 0
Days with Hail/Ice Pellets: 0
Days with Thunder heard/reported: 17
Days with Fog: 0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 03:49 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
^^ Tym City sounds nice.

I'm getting ideas floating around for my island, "New Jamaica" seams prospective, as does "Nuevo Panama."

Old 09-02-2009, 06:45 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
^^ Tym City sounds nice.

I'm getting ideas floating around for my island, "New Jamaica" seams prospective, as does "Nuevo Panama."
Any ideas on where it'll be located?

Old 09-02-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Any ideas on where it'll be located?
Pretty close to where their name implies,
if they have to actually be based on real weather phenomenon (with a little bit of "embellishment" of wind patterns) and accurate to geographic co-ordinates (latitudes and longitudes) which leaves topography as a key factor in climate modification.
(that's what Saab Island appears to be anyways)

Here's my basis:

Jamaica is pretty sweet,
though I'd rather it be a little warmer with even warmer record lows... maybe warmer record highs too.
I believe Kingston's record low is around 15 C.
Positive for Jamaica are its average of about 8-10 hours of daily sunshine year-round.
Another is it's SST's are probably among the warmest at its latitude;
it must have been 28-29 C when I was there mid-winter!

Panama kicks Jamaica's backside for warm winter temps;

1-2 C warmer in the day, 2-3 C warmer at night
record coldest low in Panama City is an enviable 19 C
and with humidity roughly 80% night AND day, ( )
which probably means January has heat indexes feeling like "seasonally hot" August in coastal South Carolina,
or "seasonal" for Miami in August.

Panama also gets 8+ hours of sun per day in winter, as does Jamaica...
However only 4 months a year are that sunny in Panama.
The remainder of the year averages Melbourne-like sunshine hours: 4-6 hours per day.
I don't think I'd appreciate all that gloom, even it always came with spectacular t-storms.

Both of these seem like good candidates for some offshore geography mods that might make my dream climate,
where "the sun shines every day" and it never falls below 24 C (75 F)

Old 09-02-2009, 09:31 PM

^^

I know I could also pick very warm locales like Acapulco, Mexico or coastal Venuzuela, but if a found a way to cause "heat inversions" and "compressional heating" I'd end up with a desert, as those locations are already quite dry most of the year. (tropical savannahs or semi-arid)

Old 09-02-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Pretty close to where their name implies,
if they have to actually be based on real weather phenomenon (with a little bit of "embellishment" of wind patterns) and accurate to geographic co-ordinates (latitudes and longitudes) which leaves topography as a key factor in climate modification.
(that's what Saab Island appears to be anyways)
Yeah I extrapolate the temps on Saab Island from observations/forecasts in the Kimberely and Pilbara. I also made most of Saab Island a desert (which is accurate considering the Pilbara and Kimberely are arid or semi-arid and hot regions) which helps maximise temps.

Quote:
Here's my basis:

Jamaica is pretty sweet,
though I'd rather it be a little warmer with even warmer record lows... maybe warmer record highs too.
I believe Kingston's record low is around 15 C.
Positive for Jamaica are its average of about 8-10 hours of daily sunshine year-round.
Another is it's SST's are probably among the warmest at its latitude;
it must have been 28-29 C when I was there mid-winter!

Panama kicks Jamaica's backside for warm winter temps;

1-2 C warmer in the day, 2-3 C warmer at night
record coldest low in Panama City is an enviable 19 C
and with humidity roughly 80% night AND day, ( )
which probably means January has heat indexes feeling like "seasonally hot" August in coastal South Carolina,
or "seasonal" for Miami in August.
Had no idea Jamaicca and Panama were that warm! Winter SSTs of 28-29C, impressive. The SSTs in mid winter around Saab Island are around 23-26C, but in summer it's a balmy 32C causing mass humidity.

Quote:
Panama also gets 8+ hours of sun per day in winter, as does Jamaica...
However only 4 months a year are that sunny in Panama.
The remainder of the year averages Melbourne-like sunshine hours: 4-6 hours per day.
I don't think I'd appreciate all that gloom, even it always came with spectacular t-storms.

Both of these seem like good candidates for some offshore geography mods that might make my dream climate,
where "the sun shines every day" and it never falls below 24 C (75 F)
Some of the atolls lying very near the equator (such as Baker Island) in the Pacific Ocean apparently are semi-arid, and being on the equator I'd imagine that temps rarely fall below 20C at all. You should create an island a few hundred K's in size there so you'd get hot semi-arid weather with heat year round.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:58 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
Is Kimberly hotter than Khartoum? It might be a better city to model Sab island after.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Had no idea Jamaicca and Panama were that warm! Winter SSTs of 28-29C, impressive. The SSTs in mid winter around Saab Island are around 23-26C, but in summer it's a balmy 32C causing mass humidity.

Some of the atolls lying very near the equator (such as Baker Island) in the Pacific Ocean apparently are semi-arid, and being on the equator I'd imagine that temps rarely fall below 20C at all. You should create an island a few hundred K's in size there so you'd get hot semi-arid weather with heat year round.
Well as I've said in earlier posts, Jamaica is so far from the mainland (perhaps Cuban mountains help too) that fierce Florida coldsnaps do little but drop coastal temps from 29-31 C down to about 27-28 C and kick up strong winds that make 2 metre wave swells, where there normally are "ankle slapper" waves. I was there for 14 days, and it only dropped to 20 C on three or four nights... Not only that, but we could sense a distinct "chill" in the evening air, (must have been very breezy and 22-23 C at 8 pm) the nights where it was forecast to drop to 20 C. (68/69 F we were told) It probably remained above 24 C at least until 11 pm. By 8 am, it "always" was at least 23 C... more often 24-26 C. By 9 am the sun "always" felt "quite hot" and remained so until about 1/2 hour before sunset.

I cannot tell for sure what SST's were at the time,
but it resembled "indoor public pool temps" or "slightly-bathtub-like".
Usually Jamaica has slightly higher temps than the Eastern Caribbean,
I believe it's because the ocean currents and exposure to the Atlantic that makes it slightly cooler there.

Does this sound different than your experience of Cairns?

Perhaps equitorial, semi-arid islands might work...
As long as it's not like the Galapagos Islands; surprisingly cool for their latitude.

Actually, I was thinking of playing around with making some spectacular mountains to block cold/cool air invasion, leaving a few spots only open towards the equator... Shaping the land like a parabolic dish would help too, as would creating freakish elevations...

Imagine being less than 20 degrees from the equator, favourable ocean currents, parabolic land with the bottom ranging from 200-1000 feet below sea level towards the centre... Good bedrock of course to help prevent flooding.

Is anywhere on Saab Island below sea level?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Is Kimberly hotter than Khartoum? It might be a better city to model Sab island after.
Very similar actually. Temp differences seem to be no more around +/-2ºC year round day and night Even the rainfall profile of the two places is almost identical.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Well as I've said in earlier posts, Jamaica is so far from the mainland (perhaps Cuban mountains help too) that fierce Florida coldsnaps do little but drop coastal temps from 29-31 C down to about 27-28 C and kick up strong winds that make 2 metre wave swells, where there normally are "ankle slapper" waves. I was there for 14 days, and it only dropped to 20 C on three or four nights... Not only that, but we could sense a distinct "chill" in the evening air, (must have been very breezy and 22-23 C at 8 pm) the nights where it was forecast to drop to 20 C. (68/69 F we were told) It probably remained above 24 C at least until 11 pm. By 8 am, it "always" was at least 23 C... more often 24-26 C. By 9 am the sun "always" felt "quite hot" and remained so until about 1/2 hour before sunset.

I cannot tell for sure what SST's were at the time,
but it resembled "indoor public pool temps" or "slightly-bathtub-like".
Usually Jamaica has slightly higher temps than the Eastern Caribbean,
I believe it's because the ocean currents and exposure to the Atlantic that makes it slightly cooler there.

Does this sound different than your experience of Cairns?
That's very similar to what I felt in Cairns in May. Overnight lows were 20-21C, but felt surprisingly cool after sunset, even to the point where I was thinking of putting a jumper on outside. By 9am, the sun was quite high up and it definately felt "hot". SSTs off Cairns were 25C, we went out to this offshore island, where the winds were raging, probably about 50-60kmh, and it felt quite chilly on the exposed pier. On the island's leeward side however, out of the wind, it felt very warm and sweat would start accumulating.

Quote:
Perhaps equitorial, semi-arid islands might work...
As long as it's not like the Galapagos Islands; surprisingly cool for their latitude.
probably due to the cold currents off Chile I'm guessing,

I'm sure the SSTs in the equatorial Pacific say somewhere to the S to SW of Hawaii would be warm.

Quote:
Actually, I was thinking of playing around with making some spectacular mountains to block cold/cool air invasion, leaving a few spots only open towards the equator... Shaping the land like a parabolic dish would help too, as would creating freakish elevations...

Imagine being less than 20 degrees from the equator, favourable ocean currents, parabolic land with the bottom ranging from 200-1000 feet below sea level towards the centre... Good bedrock of course to help prevent flooding.

Is anywhere on Saab Island below sea level?
Saab Island does actually have land below sea level, The Mercury Depression and Deadhorse Trench. The Mercury depression is generally regarded as the hottest place on Saab island, located about 50-100km S of Mackenzie (formerly Georgetown), so the prevailing SW'ly winds have a atleast 300km of hot desert land to cross, plus the low latitude and negative elevation creates some fantastic heat. The Deadhorse Trench is located near the SW coast, and consequently is not as hot as one would believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather