U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:22 AM

13,495 posts, read 33,308,938 times

Advertisements

We had a very late spring, but our autumn is very nice. We still have leaves on about 80% of our trees and some of them haven't even started turning color yet. Our flowers are still alive even though they're looking a bit worn out. The red bushes and orange bushes have started changing colors. Some are in beautiful color right now and some haven't changed at all yet. Green bushes are still nice and green.

It's just odd because the past two years we went on vacation in Oct. and when we returned around the 20th, there wasn't a leaf to be found.

AND birds~they're getting to be pretty scarce, but we do still have a few of them left here.

What's it like in your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 06:55 AM

9,595 posts, read 22,751,474 times
The forest near my house has about 1/3rd leaf fall. Past peak is what I'd call the colours, though I don't kwow what the experts would say. Some of the oak trees are still green though.

Two weeks ago we had VIVID fall colours because we either had no frost, or just the lightest frost once and then it warmed up again. Back then we had trees with 1/2 colour change, and the ones that changed were a bright kaleidoscope of colour with pretty close to zero leaf fall. The weather was mostly late-summer-like.

We have been drier than normal (just under 1 inch until Oct 24th instead of our average 1 3/4") and sunnier than normal for October until yesterday. Another thing that helped was we had zero pronounced dry periods this summer so there was no leaf drop due to drought. For the past two weeks we've been pretty cold; frost 2/3'rds of all mornings and highs usually in the 50's F.

Jammie, has your area lost any leaves before fall due to dry conditions?
Do you normally lose some?

Old 10-26-2008, 09:13 AM

29,910 posts, read 8,297,674 times
Believe it or not........there is some leaf coulour here in south FL. I see some mangrove trees turning red and yellow right now......and believe it or not, in January and February we have bare trees here.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Believe it or not........there is some leaf coulour here in south FL. I see some mangrove trees turning red and yellow right now......and believe it or not, in January and February we have bare trees here.
Is that because of drought, or because they too are sensitive to light changes?

I've seen bare bald or pond cypress trees in south Florida in January...
Only part of their leaves remaining and they're all brown.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Is that because of drought, or because they too are sensitive to light changes?

I've seen bare bald or pond cypress trees in south Florida in January...
Only part of their leaves remaining and they're all brown.
It's a way to resist to drought.....since winter here is very, very dry usually. Light changes aren't extreme here....June 21 has 13 hours of daylight, Dec 21....11 hours.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:26 PM

2,441 posts, read 5,898,918 times
Our trees still have their leaves in full green color. Most trees around here do not drop their leaves. The ones that do usually don't lose their leaves until January or February, and remain bare for about 2 to 3 weeks.

We get fall color around Christmas with some trees turning yellow, but the vast majority of trees stay green year round.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:

It's a way to resist to drought.....since winter here is very, very dry usually. Light changes aren't extreme here....June 21 has 13 hours of daylight, Dec 21....11 hours.
How can the trees sense this dry season so early?
Is it already getting dry there?

Old 10-26-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
How can the trees sense this dry season so early?
Is it already getting dry there?
Humidity isn't as high as it was back in July.....and it is cooler at night now than it was in July/August. Yet again, it could also be the heat stressing out the trees.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:

Light changes aren't extreme here....June 21 has 13 hours of daylight, Dec 21....11 hours.
Even though they aren't extreme changes, I'm sure some plants can still sense it.

Plants like Poinsetta, Christmas Cactus and Easter Cactus are all very frost sensitive, yet only flower after the days grow shorter. All the above plants would likely perish north of Orlando Florida or Coastal Southern California so they are from the tropics or (barely) sub-tropical areas.

*FYI, sunset is 2-2.5 hours earlier than I'm accustomed to and we haven't even changed from daylight savings time yet.
(I have no opinion on it either way, but sometimes I'm really confused that it's black out when it's only 7 pm)

Old 10-26-2008, 06:13 PM

7,301 posts, read 22,597,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
We still have leaves on about 80% of our trees and some of them haven't even started turning color yet. Our flowers are still alive even though they're looking a bit worn out.

Yeah, that is strange. I would think that far north, most everything would be history by now. Has not not been that cold up there yet this season?

It varies from year to year. @ this time last year, most all of our trees were still green, but this year we have about 50% change and about 25% leaf drop, but the late changers are still all green.

I was at some relatives last weekend in northwestern South Carolina (about 5 miles east of the Georgia state line) and 95% of the trees there were still 100% green. Only the Sumac and early Maples were changing. There are alot of Live Oaks and pines down there though (Loblolly, Slash, etc). As a guide, here are some photos I took in the neighborhood a week ago today: This is in an area around 750 ft ASL.

But even in the highlands of upstate South Carolina, there was very little change...

But as we got into western North Carolina and extreme east Tennessee into the really higher elevations, some colors popping...

These are about 2500-4500 ft. elevation... (a week ago today)

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 10-26-2008 at 06:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or