Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 11:32 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Montevideo, Uruguay (AHN) - Fifty-two cows on a ranch in northern Uruguay died after they were struck by the same bolt of lightning.

Lightning Kills 52 Cows In One Zap | AHN | October 31, 2008 (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7012786931 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 12:17 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Oh, that is SO sad!!!! Every time I read something like this, I feel so blessed because I'm a lightning strike survivor.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:41 AM

633 posts, read 2,540,836 times
How is that possible? 52 all at once?

Old 10-31-2008, 07:10 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,820 times
ground might've been rainsoaked so the charge spread across a large area?

Old 10-31-2008, 07:22 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Oh, that is SO sad!!!! Every time I read something like this, I feel so blessed because I'm a lightning strike survivor.
That is so sad, the poor little things. Wow Jammie, I'd like to hear your story. I'm deathly (no pun intended) afraid of lightning.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:10 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times
WOW- how is this possible? Maybe Sab's theory is right......

How sad though

Old 10-31-2008, 09:09 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawksweetie View Post
How is that possible? 52 all at once?
Multiple kills have occurred when cow have lined up down a fence that carried the charge. With wet ground that could cover a large area. Just a guess based on past history.

I went and read the article. They were pressed against the fence....

Old 10-31-2008, 11:01 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
That is so sad, the poor little things. Wow Jammie, I'd like to hear your story. I'm deathly (no pun intended) afraid of lightning.
There are actually a couple more people here who are lightning strike survivors, but I can't remember who they are. We'd posted it in another thread a long time ago, but it's just easier to tell you about it then to find the previous thread.

I was about 20 years old and my parents, some friends of ours, my husband, and I were out camping. It was in the morning~it looked cloudy and stormy so we started packing up. I was leaning against our folded up tent camper and lightning struck my wrist and went out through my opposite ankle. My dog had been sitting on top of the camper and jumped down just before the lightning struck and I just kept walking around in circles worrying about my furry little boy. I was kind of out of it~my lips turned big and purple and were salty~the whites of my eyes turned red. I was quite a sight. No one came near me~just stood there and stared at me as I was going around in circles and I remember seeing them with each turn. They said later they'd been terrified cause they could see the strike. I had a little can of tomato juice on the tent camper and DH had a can of beer sitting on it. (Yea, I know~it was only morning, but we were camping, ya know.) Anyway, the lightning struck both cans~the beer just shot out instant foam and flew up into the air and fell to the ground. It's kind of a funny incident, but I really do feel blessed to have survived it.

I have a co-worker who's Dad was struck by lightning two or three times so it can strike you more then once. During one of the incidents, his Dad was out in the field with a team of horses. It killed one of them and left the other one blind.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:39 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
There are actually a couple more people here who are lightning strike survivors, but I can't remember who they are. We'd posted it in another thread a long time ago, but it's just easier to tell you about it then to find the previous thread.

I was about 20 years old and my parents, some friends of ours, my husband, and I were out camping. It was in the morning~it looked cloudy and stormy so we started packing up. I was leaning against our folded up tent camper and lightning struck my wrist and went out through my opposite ankle. My dog had been sitting on top of the camper and jumped down just before the lightning struck and I just kept walking around in circles worrying about my furry little boy. I was kind of out of it~my lips turned big and purple and were salty~the whites of my eyes turned red. I was quite a sight. No one came near me~just stood there and stared at me as I was going around in circles and I remember seeing them with each turn. They said later they'd been terrified cause they could see the strike. I had a little can of tomato juice on the tent camper and DH had a can of beer sitting on it. (Yea, I know~it was only morning, but we were camping, ya know.) Anyway, the lightning struck both cans~the beer just shot out instant foam and flew up into the air and fell to the ground. It's kind of a funny incident, but I really do feel blessed to have survived it.

I have a co-worker who's Dad was struck by lightning two or three times so it can strike you more then once. During one of the incidents, his Dad was out in the field with a team of horses. It killed one of them and left the other one blind.
Talk about scary........yikes!! I used to feel safe inside of my house, but not anymore with so many stories I've heard. Geez, it can burn one's house down and even strike a person while in the house.

I'd be worried about my furry friend too. I hope you gave your family a good chewing out for "just staring at you."

Old 11-01-2008, 09:01 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Multiple kills have occurred when cow have lined up down a fence that carried the charge. With wet ground that could cover a large area. Just a guess based on past history.

I went and read the article. They were pressed against the fence....
Hmmm, I was beginning to think I was the only one here who had read the linked article!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather