Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 01:19 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
CC, yup, what Granite said. They often get slammed with snow. Deadwood is in a ravine or gulch. It was originally called "Deadwood Gulch" and you may have heard of it in old western tv shows or movies. And yes~it's in western So. Dak. and is about 3 and a half hours west of here. The climate is semi-arid out there, but it's mostly just drier in the summertime. A lot of snow falls in the Hills. I guess I also need to clarify that when I say, "Hills" with a capital "H", I'm talking about the Black Hills. If you've heard of Mt. Rushmore, it's in that area just south of Rapid City.

Just recently (maybe this spring???) Spearfish~out in the same area, had a huge snowfall and seems like it was about 6 feet for one snowfall.

Granite, we got slammed not long after I posted. You probably already saw that we had 74 mph wind gusts and our windchill dropped to 5. Right now our winds are 48 gusting to 69, but that's still pretty windy. I was just out shoveling in front of the door and it's not nice at all.

They've now said that instead of 3 to 6 inches, my area will probably only have 1 to 3 inches and we were fortunate cause so much of it melted before the winds hit.

I wanna move.
Interesting...
I don't think I'd like living there;
love to garden and hate seeing snow so Deadwood would be a lose-lose.

I've heard of Spearfish. Didn't they have a U.S. record cold wave, like biggest temp drop in either a few hours or 24 hours?

Poor Jammie,
the Toronto area looks better than where you live.
We're forecasted to get our first highs at freezing in 9-10 days with snow.
Before that some rainy days mixed with dry days at seasonal temps.
And the forecast might change in my favour,
with highs at freezing holding off until late November or even December.

However, your summers seem definitely better than here; warmer/hotter, drier, sunnier.

If I could only live in two places,
I'd pick Mitchell SD from May through September
and Toronto the rest of the year,
(but perhaps intermittent trips back to SD for some sunshine in between
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 05:08 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
CC, you're correct about the wild temp thing that went on in Spearfish. Can't remember the specifics, but it was wild.

Mitchell is nice and you'd like it here, but definitely not in the winter. I remember when we did a comparison through DM and you had better weather on the average then I do.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:12 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times
Quote:
CC, you're correct about the wild temp thing that went on in Spearfish. Can't remember the specifics, but it was wild.

Mitchell is nice and you'd like it here, but definitely not in the winter. I remember when we did a comparison through DM and you had better weather on the average then I do.
Didn't Spearfish go from like 47F to -2F in 15 minutes?? That is insane!!! ....wind probably switched from chinook to a polar high pressure.

I wish you could move down here to FL..... Since most of FL is urbanized.....I say you should move to the Ocala Area....lots of Horse Farms and open space there. Actually, If I were to stay in FL.....that's where I'll move to.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:12 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Can't believe the photos I've seen from the storm, totally looks more like January than early November. I hope this isn't a sign of what winter is going to be like this year!

We lucked out here, lots of rain, some sleet, snow but nothing sticking, overall an overcast icky day but sure could have been alot worse. My sister is in Upper Michigan she may see some snow sticking around more than likely it will be by Lake Superior up by Marquette. She is at the top of Lake Michigan, locals call it the banana belt! I'm 3 hrs. south of her, couldn't go that far north!

Old 11-08-2008, 11:11 PM

Susan, I wish I didn't live this far north either.

DX, I'd love to live in Florida's climate. The problem for me is that right now the economy down there isn't good at all~high unemployment rate, high cost of rent or housing, etc. Up here in the cold, our economy is still very stable and since I'm not old enough (or rich enough) to retire, it wouldn't be a wise move for me.

Ocala and Lake Co. were actually areas that I was interested in at one time. I do like open spaces, but I absolutely love the St. Pete/Clearwater area. Also, Lake Placid is a cute little town. Grove, Ok is also one of the cutest towns we've ever been to. BUT they still get a bit chilly and it's kind of small when you still need to find a job.

I think I'd like the climate in Tx., too and their economy seems fairly stable for the moment. Luckily the center of the country is still doing well.

Just not sure how I got stuck being born in one of the coldest parts of the country when I'm a person who loves hot temps. DH isn't a mover so that's another concern. My state has a lot of beauty and a lot of positives, but our weather just isn't one of the positives.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:16 PM

Yeah-we do have high unemployment here......And high COL compared to other states.

TX was one of the only states that stayed stable during this recession....that would be a good option.

You're the complete opposite of me....you like hot weather but live in a cold state....I love cold weather and am stuck in Florida. Oh well.....only 940 days til graduation.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Yeah-we do have high unemployment here......And high COL compared to other states.

TX was one of the only states that stayed stable during this recession....that would be a good option.

You're the complete opposite of me....you like hot weather but live in a cold state....I love cold weather and am stuck in Florida. Oh well.....only 940 days til graduation.
OMG, you have the days counted out??? That's funny.

Yes, Texas is doing well. Oklahoma is doing quite well, too along with Kansas, Nebraska, So. Dak., No. Dak., Wyo., and Mont.

Fortunately for me, So. Dak. has the lowest unemployment rate in the nation and it's been that way for months already. Not bragging~I'm very thankful for that.

But for warmth~Texas seems like it may be a good option.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
OMG, you have the days counted out??? That's funny.

Yes, Texas is doing well. Oklahoma is doing quite well, too along with Kansas, Nebraska, So. Dak., No. Dak., Wyo., and Mont.

Fortunately for me, So. Dak. has the lowest unemployment rate in the nation and it's been that way for months already. Not bragging~I'm very thankful for that.

But for warmth~Texas seems like it may be a good option.
That was a wild guess.

Yeah, Texas seems like a good option. What part of TX?

How's the economy in MN? That's one of the places I'm looking at....and Wis.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:49 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Just not sure how I got stuck being born in one of the coldest parts of the country when I'm a person who loves hot temps. DH isn't a mover so that's another concern. My state has a lot of beauty and a lot of positives, but our weather just isn't one of the positives.
^^

Likewise I don't know why I'm Canadian, though I love heat, hate cold and occaisionally even get upset about cool weather.
Even being indoors at 72 F, the "slight-coolness" annoys me from time to time; 72 F without sun is NOT warm.
I have zero attachments to Canada, no firm commitments yet it's so hard to find decent work legally in foreign countries.
(for those without university degrees)

Old 11-09-2008, 07:52 AM

CC, guess we both have to wonder why we were born in these locations.

DX, I'm not really sure about what area. I'd like to visit a few places down there and Galveston had been number one on our list. That pretty much changed a few months ago, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather