U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:38 PM

9,598 posts, read 14,998,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post

It would have to be hot enough to want to go to the beach or pool, but cool enough that in evenings or night you can do outside activities like walk, bike, play basketball/football, etc.

Our summers are usually either barely warm enough, or barely not warm enough to "want" to be at the beach...

However our mid-summer evenings and nights are fine for any kind of excersize;
even reasonable to host a marathon run without significant "heat stress."

Personally, I'd want to either avoid lighter excersizes, like no excersize lighter than cycling or tennis
or wear long sleeves if I was spending all evening outside; otherwise it's can get annoyingly chilly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 06:08 PM

7,724 posts, read 9,177,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB View Post
Intensely hot during the day, followed by a hot night. About twice a week, humidity would increase and huge thunderstorms would develop during the evening.
That is exactly how I would like Summer to be, luckily it will be close to that here starting Sunday with highs in the low/mid/upper 90's (33-37C) with high humidity and heat indexes in the 100's (40C) lows in the upper 70's (around 25C).

Last edited by Infamous92; 08-07-2009 at 06:16 PM..

Old 08-07-2009, 06:12 PM

^^

I don't mind t-storms as long as the clouds build and dump within 1-2 hours then go away and the skies turn blue again... PREDICTABLY.

Here a normal day with t-storms is filled with mainly-cloudy skies and a "Storm Watch" in effect for 6-14 hours.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:18 PM
AB

5,060 posts, read 2,894,532 times
T-storms should form during the late afternoon, when there is still enough light to see the awesome structure, then mature after dark so you can actually see the lightning.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
^^

I don't mind t-storms as long as the clouds build and dump within 1-2 hours then go away and the skies turn blue again... PREDICTABLY.

Here a normal day with t-storms is filled with mainly-cloudy skies and a "Storm Watch" in effect for 6-14 hours.
We get days like those about 2-5 times a Summer, I like when its like a strong 30-40 minute storm then it gets hot again.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
We get days like those about 2-5 times a Summer,

I like when its like a strong 30-40 minute storm then it gets hot again.
We've had at least 20 of those days this summer.

Days with t-storms usually don't have hot weather here;
they can be warm and muggy, cool and damp or sometimes very warm and muggy....
all under mostly dim/dark, dull sky conditions for the majority of the day.

We might get towering thunderheads,
but you rarely ever see a distinct one because we have so many other dull clouds surrounding it usually.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:13 AM

2,792 posts, read 2,720,076 times
I love it when it is sunny, and then all of a sudden you get thick dark clouds. It gets so dark you would think it is some kind of solar eclipse or maybe you clock is broken is it is sunset already. Then it starts pouring like out of a bucket, with intense thunder and lightning. It goes on for about 30 min and then the skies clear and it is bright again. You can literally see steam coming of the pavement from the sun evaporating off all the moisture. Awesome. So much better than the winter rain which just drizzles on and on. I wish all precipitation would come down in short, intense thunderstorms.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I love it when it is sunny, and then all of a sudden you get thick dark clouds. It gets so dark you would think it is some kind of solar eclipse or maybe you clock is broken is it is sunset already. Then it starts pouring like out of a bucket, with intense thunder and lightning. It goes on for about 30 min and then the skies clear and it is bright again. You can literally see steam coming of the pavement from the sun evaporating off all the moisture. Awesome. So much better than the winter rain which just drizzles on and on. I wish all precipitation would come down in short, intense thunderstorms.
Oh yes me too, I love when it gets so dark with the rumbles of thunder and lightning off in the distance but I only like it right before it rains because once it rains the sky turns white.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:30 AM

7,619 posts, read 6,109,125 times
We haven't had the thunderstorms this summer, I miss them! I really like a loud storm and quite loud here being between the lake and the river.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:46 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,247,043 times
Central PA has miserable weather for much of the year, but is perfect during the summer. Just warm and humid enough to go swimming or enjoy the sun, without being oppressive. Summer nights in PA are great. Warm enough to wear a T-shirt, but not uncomfortably hot. Nothing like drinking a beer out on your porch on a mild summer night, listening to a Pearl Jam CD, or listening to Phillies baseball or preseason Eagles football on sports radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather