Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 09:49 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,896,840 times

Advertisements

Cool in the mornings but with the sun holding enough warmth that you can sit outside in your jimmy jams barefoot and drink your cawfee and watch the dew twinkle.

Warm enough during the day that you can get around doing anything without being overheated and sweaty. Sunshine with a light cooling breeze is my favorite. Comfy in light clothing and thongs (flip flops) without getting sunburnt. Warm enough you can swim.

I like my evening balmy but not so balmy the mozzies have a feast the minute you walk outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 11:03 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
Default Glad to see my thread is still alive and people are enjoying it. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Cool in the mornings but with the sun holding enough warmth that you can sit outside in your jimmy jams barefoot and drink your cawfee and watch the dew twinkle.

Warm enough during the day that you can get around doing anything without being overheated and sweaty. Sunshine with a light cooling breeze is my favorite. Comfy in light clothing and thongs (flip flops) without getting sunburnt. Warm enough you can swim.

I like my evening balmy but not so balmy the mozzies have a feast the minute you walk outside.
Ah, that's wonderful.
In my mind this first paragraph paints a perfect picture of spring, or an unexpectedly-warm (not in Canada) winter day.

I guess it's all relative. That kind of weather I'm "able" to swim () but swimming in comfort would probably require a wet suit if the breezes are already "cooling" before you get wet. But then again, I'm not satisfied with a "quick dip;" I usually prefer staying in at least an hour.

** Funny you should say that,
because my experience in Canada is that mosquitos attack people more often when it's below 18 C at dusk, and especially below 15 C (here they seem to LOVE 10-15 C) because they can track us down better by comparing our body heat with the air temperature. Also, I've noticed in fairly-hot weather our mosquitos cannot find us. I had a baseball game on a day that had a high of 37 C (99 F) starting at 6 pm. At 6 pm it was still 36 C (97 F) and by the end of the game around 9 pm it was still 35 C. (95 F) The baseball diamond was near some woods that was always bad for mosquitos and I always got at least a half-dozen bites in a game. NOT THIS DAY! Sure enough the mosquitos were still came out, but they could not FIND us! I watched a few in between plays, and they looked like they were flying drunk and all disoriented.

Mosquito feasts in Canada are the worst in places that are typically very cool after sunset in summer.
That being said, how do mosquitos in hot climates even survive?
Do they focus their feeding when it's under (32 C) 90 F, like maybe after sunset?

Old 02-16-2009, 12:18 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,896,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Ah, that's wonderful.
In my mind this first paragraph paints a perfect picture of spring, or an unexpectedly-warm (not in Canada) winter day.
Yeah, well I don't think I've seen dew here in Melbourne for years.
Actually that's not true there was one day last year and I was that excited to see it I could barely contain myself. Thought it was a thing of the past. Same with frost! We had one morning of it here over the winter just gone and I was so excited I was taking pictures.

Quote:
I guess it's all relative. That kind of weather I'm "able" to swim () but swimming in comfort would probably require a wet suit if the breezes are already "cooling" before you get wet. But then again, I'm not satisfied with a "quick dip;" I usually prefer staying in at least an hour.
I don't mind wet suit swimming water either if I'm in the mood for it and we do have a longer wet suit season here in Victoria than other parts of the country, well except for Tassie!

Quote:
** Funny you should say that,
because my experience in Canada is that mosquitos attack people more often when it's below 18 C at dusk, and especially below 15 C (here they seem to LOVE 10-15 C) because they can track us down better by comparing our body heat with the air temperature. Also, I've noticed in fairly-hot weather our mosquitos cannot find us. I had a baseball game on a day that had a high of 37 C (99 F) starting at 6 pm. At 6 pm it was still 36 C (97 F) and by the end of the game around 9 pm it was still 35 C. (95 F) The baseball diamond was near some woods that was always bad for mosquitos and I always got at least a half-dozen bites in a game. NOT THIS DAY! Sure enough the mosquitos were still came out, but they could not FIND us! I watched a few in between plays, and they looked like they were flying drunk and all disoriented.
I am still coming to terms with my mosquito experience in North America. NEVER seen so many of them in my life and couldn't believe I got bitten so much. I was sure I would end up a big blotchy mess for weeks but they barely left an itch on me. Of course once I got myself the "aeroguard" they left me well alone.

Quote:
Mosquito feasts in Canada are the worst in places that are typically very cool after sunset in summer.
That being said, how do mosquitos in hot climates even survive?
Do they focus their feeding when it's under (32 C) 90 F, like maybe after sunset?
You know I don't know. I'm always so surprised when they turn up I've never really paid attention to the conditions when they do other than it is usually a warm night if I'm sitting outside to get bitten.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:38 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,393 times
During the few days of 110-115F last week, there was not a single hint of any insect, no flies, no mosquitos.

Yet when its cooler (75-85F days; 60-70F nights), the flies and mosquitos kill you.

My worst mosquito/insect experience was in Mildura in April 2005. You couldn't go outside. Period.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:45 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
Quote:
Actually that's not true there was one day last year and I was that excited to see it I could barely contain myself. Thought it was a thing of the past. Same with frost! We had one morning of it here over the winter just gone and I was so excited I was taking pictures.

I don't mind wet suit swimming water either if I'm in the mood for it and we do have a longer wet suit season here in Victoria than other parts of the country, well except for Tassie!

I am still coming to terms with my mosquito experience in North America. NEVER seen so many of them in my life and couldn't believe I got bitten so much. I was sure I would end up a big blotchy mess for weeks but they barely left an itch on me. Of course once I got myself the "aeroguard" they left me well alone.

You know I don't know. I'm always so surprised when they turn up I've never really paid attention to the conditions when they do other than it is usually a warm night if I'm sitting outside to get bitten.
You might also like to see southern Florida.
It is quite humid there. You get dew and several hours of bright sun in the same day usually.
It seems that at least half the mornings I was there, there was some dew.
In fact the other winter I was there, there was dew an hour after sunset and it didn't burn off until 9am.

When I think of swimming weather, wet suits aren't supposed to be neccessary. (in theory) I love the water and will suit up, but I KNOW when I do that I'm nuts about watersports, rather than because it's good swimming weather.

How are the mosquitos in Australia?

I've seen them come in clouds after sunset.
You step out with a t-shirt and jeans when it's 14 C in "cottage country" and you get about 20 land on you within 5 seconds, and if you did nothing, you would have about 60 bites within one minute. More typical though is "only" a few bites a minute in the backwoods areas.

Maybe your area is too dry for much mosquito activity.
The city I live in usually doesn't have much activity unless it's been raining a lot.
It also tends to be worse when you go an hour or more north, or east...
Possibly because it tends to be cooler and/or damper out that way.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
hmmmm I'm guessing you live in a Melbourne in an enterely different solar system then. Dew is extrememly common virtually every night during the cooler half of the year. I know coz I use a telescope and dew is a constant problem.

Quote:
Well, the wet suit season lasts 365 days a year on Victoria's ocean beaches, while in Port Phillip Bay the season lasts about 320 days.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:

How are the mosquitos in Australia?
horrible

Old 02-17-2009, 12:11 AM

177 posts, read 425,146 times
Cool with no humidity at nights to make it easy to get a good night's sleep and warm during daytimes. Rain/storms with torrential falls every second day followed by a sunny day and so on.

Speaking of mozzies - have them here but not in huge numbers. Flies on the other hand have been unusually absent since around Nov/Dec last year. Don't miss them one bit as they'll do anything to get into eyes, ears, mouth just for the sake of trying to suck sweat or to do a wee dump!

Lots of huntsmen spiders around, got couple of baby ones in my home office, they don't do any harm. If it was the Sydney Funnel Web spider - totally different story

Old 02-17-2009, 12:16 AM

I've got redbacks around my pool which appear at night. Not many hunstmen though. But for some reason there's a crap load of cockroaches this year.

Oh yes, and those damn flies are out in plague proportions as per freaking usual.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:43 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,033,797 times
Perhaps the best summer weather for my liking..

Mild/balmy still mornings for greeting the day..maybe with a few Alto cumulus Castellanus thrown in, just for something neat to look at..

Hot, Bright crystal blue skies followed by a few building cumulus clouds..perhaps a light breeze while out at the beach or working..sweating is ok,..there are worse things to endure..

Warm/balmy early evenings with scattered thunderstorms around, or passing through..just to temper the late day heat..and put on a sparkling light display to enjoy while sitting outside enjoying an adult beverage at home,or at some place near the beach

warm/balmy later evenings with a few flashy storms left drifting around the horizon..the perfect time for a car ride with the windows down..or just sitting back on a beach and watching the stars...or listening to the summer symphony of nature's dictation form the back deck..even if i share it with a few Huntsman spiders, a Cane Toad, or the neighborhood Raccoon.

...And at no time..on any day of the year..absolutely NO fog..to ruin anything..and no need for wetsuits..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather