Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 06:26 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I'd like to feel comfortable in shorts and t-shirt: neither sweating nor feeling chilly. Basically, just slightly warmer than your typical "indoor" temperature.
That's my ideal summer weather in the evening, say after sunset to midnight.

*When the daytime highs are like that, it doesn't take long before it starts to cool enough that my fingers and toes get discomfort.
If it's like that at midnight, I can be blissfully-ignorant of the weather pretty much all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 06:43 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,997 times
my ideal summer weather:

shirts and shorts 24/7 for 3-5 months of the year with thunderstorms atleast 1-2 times per week.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:01 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
That's my ideal summer weather in the evening, say after sunset to midnight.

*When the daytime highs are like that, it doesn't take long before it starts to cool enough that my fingers and toes get discomfort.
If it's like that at midnight, I can be blissfully-ignorant of the weather pretty much all day.
My hands and feet are fine but my upper arms start to feel uncomfortable in cool breeze when wearing short sleeves.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
My hands and feet are fine but my upper arms start to feel uncomfortable in cool breeze when wearing short sleeves.
On rare occaisions that might happen to me,
but 99% of the time, my fingertips and toes are the first to go,
while the rest of me might follow suit shortly afterwards.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
my ideal summer weather:

shirts and shorts 24/7 for 3-5 months of the year with thunderstorms atleast 1-2 times per week.
Yeah, regarding temps, I totally agree with you;
long sleeves should be left to fashion, rather than function...24/7 and all summer long.

How many hours with a risk of t-storms though?
I wouldn't mind 1-2 days with t-storms and a risk of maybe 4 hours per t-storm day would be pleasant.

Reality in southern Ontario,
risk of t-storms usually last more than 12 hours per "stormy day;" quite irritating usually.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:21 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Yeah, regarding temps, I totally agree with you;
long sleeves should be left to fashion, rather than function...24/7 and all summer long.

How many hours with a risk of t-storms though?
I wouldn't mind 1-2 days with t-storms and a risk of maybe 4 hours per t-storm day would be pleasant.
the more hours of storms per day, the merrier.

Here's an appropriate analogy.....When compared to the omnipresent stratocrapulus Melbourne is so famous for, being in a storm is like being a kid in a candy store, as opposed to going to school

Quote:
Reality in southern Ontario,
risk of t-storms usually last more than 12 hours per "stormy day;" quite irritating usually.
does that mean that nice juicy cumulus towers and thunderheads are taking up residence 12 hours per day?

Old 07-04-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
the more hours of storms per day, the merrier.

Here's an appropriate analogy.....When compared to the omnipresent stratocrapulus Melbourne is so famous for, being in a storm is like being a kid in a candy store, as opposed to going to school

does that mean that nice juicy cumulus towers and thunderheads are taking up residence 12 hours per day?
Oookkaayyy...
Suit yourself, but this is why I occaisionally drool over "semi-arid" climates.

Being in a storm, versus in a storm watch?
about 2-20% of the time the storm watch is on you might actually see a storm.
(10-16 storm hour watch, storms totalling 5-80 minutes?)

It's hard to see what the whole sky looks like; you can't see the horizon in the city.
Plus I'm in a "hollow" so the sky kind of has a "fishbowl" shape to it in my neighbourhood.
(it'd probably be a lot more interesting on a farm )

Probably not...
A typical t-storm day has clouds just like the ugly, dark, dry overcast days at least half the hours of a "storm watch,"
but they tend to thicken from time to time.

I'd guess that 25% of the time, (storm watch) they look quite ominous,
5% of the time they look quite frightening
and 0.5% of the time they might look "apocalyptic"

Old 07-04-2009, 06:56 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Ideal Summer Weather for me once again:

Highs in the 70s with moderate humidity.
Lows in the 50s with moderate humidity.
Sky conditions: Broken Clouds.
Rainfall: Two times a week.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:28 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Ideal Summer Weather for me once again:

Highs in the 70s with moderate humidity.
Lows in the 50s with moderate humidity.
Sky conditions: Broken Clouds.
Rainfall: Two times a week.
without using degrees?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:34 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,164 times
Warm and humid but not super hot. Maybe one heat wave for a week or 2. You should be able to wear shorts and t-shirts comfortably in the early morning and the evening. I do not like having to wear long sleeves in the summer. An occasional cloudy day or thunderstorm to prevent things from getting too hot. Nights should be warm with just a touch of sticky-ness. Perfect weather for fireworks, peanuts, and Phillies baseball.

PA has good summer weather in my opinion... warm enough to feel like summer but not Texas-like by any means. Philly is a bit hotter while Pittsburgh is a bit cooler but both are pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather