Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:13 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,894,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Renmark and Mildura sound dreamy.

I'm surprised it's the only part of Victoria where palms have naturalised.
Pretty much anywhere in North America mild enough to not kill palms is warm enough for them to thrive during the growing season. (further evidence that Melbourne is a "British climate, Down Under"? )
Palms can grow anywhere in Vic, but usually they are planted.
Only in Mildura I've seen them scattered around in seemingly random locations, especially near water. Presumably the wind blows seeds off the original trees and they just start growing when it settles in a prticular location?

Victoria only has one native species growing in the forests near the eastern coastline of the state.

That being said, Renmark can get ridiculously cold at night, I remember Jan 2006, the temp there got to -6C, with another 5 nights in the -3 to -5 range! That month alone had 14 nights under 0C, and the average was 0.9C! This year, Mildura on the other hand rarely goes more than a couple of degrees below freezing, even though its only 90 minute drive away with essentially the same terrain and environment.

This year, they had 9 nights below 0C, with an extreme low of -4.3C , Whereas Mildura had 5 with an extreme low of -1.8C. Recording stations for both towns are at their airports which are around 10km from the town centre.

Last edited by §AB; 01-08-2010 at 10:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 10:14 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,791,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Cool nights are the best, never having to use the A/C is ideal or as SAB would say cold subarctic temps, sounds perfect to me!
I don't "prefer" using A/C at night, but I don't want it particularly-cool inside my house either.

You remind me of my neighbour:

*Whenever it's warm enough at night that some fresh air would feel nice, we hear the loud,
constant hum of their air-conditioner partially drowning out the delightful sound of the forest's chorusing-crickets.

*Whenever we think it's too chilly to leave the windows open in the evening is the only time their A/C is not humming...
and then they might open their windows. Usually this is chilly enough the crickets don't feel like chirping much.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:26 PM

571 posts, read 1,049,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
I just went to a place where there is my ideal summer weather.

mild-warm mornings, not too hot, not too cold, just comfortable enough to enjoy the sunrise in shirt and shorts, hot afternoons, and warm evenings where one can partake outdoor activities without dying, unlike here in icy cold subarctic Melbourne.
This perfectly describes my ideal summer weather! Care to share the name of the place you visited?

Old 01-09-2010, 04:56 PM

Renmark

Old 01-09-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Palms can grow anywhere in Vic, but usually they are planted.
Only in Mildura I've seen them scattered around in seemingly random locations, especially near water. Presumably the wind blows seeds off the original trees and they just start growing when it settles in a prticular location?
Yeah, but the fact that they can only naturalize there is probably indicative of weather I find more favourable.

Quote:
Victoria only has one native species growing in the forests near the eastern coastline of the state.
Really? How does the climate differ from Melbourne in that part of VIC?

Quote:
That being said, Renmark can get ridiculously cold at night, I remember Jan 2006, the temp there got to -6C, with another 5 nights in the -3 to -5 range! That month alone had 14 nights under 0C, and the average was 0.9C! This year, Mildura on the other hand rarely goes more than a couple of degrees below freezing, even though its only 90 minute drive away with essentially the same terrain and environment.

This year, they had 9 nights below 0C, with an extreme low of -4.3C , Whereas Mildura had 5 with an extreme low of -1.8C. Recording stations for both towns are at their airports which are around 10km from the town centre.
While I wouldn't enjoy being outside for that, if I was staying at a hotel I could just stay asleep until it warmed...
assuming the cold summer lows are accompanied by a high diurnal temp difference.
Say it's forecast for 0 C in the morning and 30 C in the afternoon;
time your alarm clock to go off when expect it to pass 10 C or 15 C.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but the fact that they can only naturalize there is probably indicative of weather I find more favourable.

Really? How does the climate differ from Melbourne in that part of VIC?
it's really quite similar actually, but overnight lows might be a degree or two lower, but winter days are actually slightly warmer. That area recieves more rainfall and tends to be slightly more humid, so that might be the kicker.

Quote:
While I wouldn't enjoy being outside for that, if I was staying at a hotel I could just stay asleep until it warmed...
assuming the cold summer lows are accompanied by a high diurnal temp difference.
cold summer lows? I was talking about winter.

Quote:
Say it's forecast for 0 C in the morning and 30 C in the afternoon;
time your alarm clock to go off when expect it to pass 10 C or 15 C.
don't think I've ever seen an 0C night followed by a 30C afternoon anywhere in Oz...

Currently 44C in Mildura - hottest in the entire country!

Old 01-09-2010, 09:40 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,086,988 times
Warm enough to wear t-shirt and shorts. I do not want to feel like I am sitting in an oven. Getting sweaty while I sit around is too hot!

Old 01-09-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
cold summer lows? I was talking about winter.

don't think I've ever seen an 0C night followed by a 30C afternoon anywhere in Oz...

Currently 44C in Mildura - hottest in the entire country!
Didn't you say Renmark hit -6 C in Jan 2006?

That's good to hear!
I think in an Atlas I read that 0C (32 F) night and 38 C (100 F) day is possible in Death Valley, California.
I'd assumed it was almost that harsh somewhere like the Nullabor.

Mmmm... toasty.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
ah crap , I was meant to say June It is certainly not possible for it to get that cold in January!!!!

Quote:
That's good to hear!
I think in an Atlas I read that 0C (32 F) night and 38 C (100 F) day is possible in Death Valley, California.

Mmmm... toasty.
that would be quite interesting!

The highest temp range I'm aware of in Aus occured at Eyre on the coast of the Nullabour a couple of years ago... the low was 7C and the high 44C.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:36 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,169 times
Quote:

That's good to hear!

Mmmm... toasty.
I think that is a mistake from SAB, January 2006 should be July 2006.
Nowhere gets these kind of temperatures in January, anywhere in Oz,
even Canberra which frequently gets as low as -6 in winter.
As you know, January here is equivalent to your July and vice versa.
High diurnal ranges are most likely seen in late autumn or spring, nothing this marked in summer even on the Nullabor.
See also the thread on Extreme Low Humidities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather