U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 06:44 PM

20,101 posts, read 34,331,105 times

Advertisements

This is an especially bad pattern to get accumulating snow into New England according to the computer models. "Warm air advection" pulls warm moist air northward and will allow yet another batch of precipitation to fall as either a mixture of sleet/freezing rain in the higher elevations with rain in the lower elevations. Snow will only be possible on the backside of the storm as drier and colder air rushes in from the west. The amazing thing is that this same pattern has repeated several times already this late fall season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 08:28 AM

Well, this is starting to get quite nasty.
Freezing rain is now predicted for my area for late Thursday

Old 12-10-2008, 08:41 AM

11,290 posts, read 11,030,875 times
We've had the same pattern here on the east side of Lake Michigan, and worse on the west side over by Lower Michigan.

Not unusual to get lake snow, we live with it but this much snow this early and always the sleet ahead of the storm is not your average December. We've already passed our snowfall for December and I'm afraid we sent you this latest mess!

I spent the better part of yesterday trying to shovel 12 inches of snow, later in the day a friend came by to do my double driveway and the mess the snowplow left.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
We've had the same pattern here on the east side of Lake Michigan, and worse on the west side over by Lower Michigan.

Not unusual to get lake snow, we live with it but this much snow this early and always the sleet ahead of the storm is not your average December. We've already passed our snowfall for December and I'm afraid we sent you this latest mess!

I spent the better part of yesterday trying to shovel 12 inches of snow, later in the day a friend came by to do my double driveway and the mess the snowplow left.

You sure have gotten a lot of snow in WI lately.

I am very much dreading the freezing rain and sleet scenario. About the only thing worse than freezing rain is a confirmed tornado on the ground

Old 12-10-2008, 04:16 PM

13,495 posts, read 33,347,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well, this is starting to get quite nasty.
Freezing rain is now predicted for my area for late Thursday
Oh no!!!! Freezing rain has to be the worst thing of all.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:08 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,009,515 times
I hate freezing rain. If you want some snow, come take some of ours already would you! Just to the north of me a few miles they are already at 60" for the season so far, 35" just in December already.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I hate freezing rain. If you want some snow, come take some of ours already would you! Just to the north of me a few miles they are already at 60" for the season so far, 35" just in December already.
I would like a shipment I would much prefer it to freezing rain

Old 12-10-2008, 09:05 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,800,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
This is an especially bad pattern to get accumulating snow into New England according to the computer models. "Warm air advection" pulls warm moist air northward and will allow yet another batch of precipitation to fall as either a mixture of sleet/freezing rain in the higher elevations with rain in the lower elevations. Snow will only be possible on the backside of the storm as drier and colder air rushes in from the west. The amazing thing is that this same pattern has repeated several times already this late fall season.
Are you talking about what's been happening over the past 2-4 weeks?

2 hours north and 2.5 hours west of me they are waist deep in snow.
Somewhere in between they'd had a lot of mixed precip days.
They've been getting round-after-round of Lake Effect storms
while we get nearly-nothing.

We're lucky in the Toronto area.
Our heaviest snow this year in the west-end was 2 inches,
and all of it melted the same day.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Are you talking about what's been happening over the past 2-4 weeks?

2 hours north and 2.5 hours west of me they are waist deep in snow.
Somewhere in between they'd had a lot of mixed precip days.
They've been getting round-after-round of Lake Effect storms
while we get nearly-nothing.

We're lucky in the Toronto area.
Our heaviest snow this year in the west-end was 2 inches,
and all of it melted the same day.

I was referring to the repititious warm air advection setup yielding mostly rain for northern New England at the lower elevations with little snowfall. We have seen less than two inches of snow so far which is well below average. The cold air with the precip have not been in tandem so far.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:16 PM

Heavy freezing rain is currently falling. I am just hoping no limbs will start coming down. That thought alone scares me very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or