U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:35 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,048,054 times

Advertisements

I always remember that come September/October when it gets into the 60's I always have to wear a jacket and I live in Minnesota! But come late March in the 60's, shorts and t-shirt are sufficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 10:24 PM

186 posts, read 144,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
^^ Wow!

I usually want pants below 65 F,
long sleeves below 60 F,
gloves (or good pockets) below 50 F
jacket or coat below 45 F
a warm winter hat below 40 F
gloves mandatory below 40 F

*Zero risk of hypothermia after all I wear to keep my skin from stinging.

ha ha, I'm actually not that much more cold resistant than that. It's just that, I spend the majority (about 21 - 22 hours a day) of my time indoor that I don't usually find the need to dress up that warm. Thank God for central heating If I was living in England, I would probably ironically need to wear more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring
I always remember that come September/October when it gets into the 60's I always have to wear a jacket and I live in Minnesota! But come late March in the 60's, shorts and t-shirt are sufficient.
Does Minnesota usually get that warm late March?

Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,048,054 times
Does Minnesota usually get that warm late March?[/quote]

Sometimes, it really varies from year to year. Sometimes in late March we will hit our first 60 and spring will "spring" others it wont be until late April and March will be frigid. March in Minn. is really a wild card weatherwise. We have some of the most un-predictable weather in the country, so thats supposed to be kind of exciting I guess

Last March we saw our first 60 on March 16th when it was 67 F.
http://www.weather.gov/climate/getcl...1+11%3A11%3A11

Old 02-23-2010, 06:15 PM

8,928 posts, read 7,257,567 times
Quote:
^^ Wow!

I usually want pants below 65 F,
long sleeves below 60 F,
gloves (or good pockets) below 50 F
jacket or coat below 45 F
a warm winter hat below 40 F
gloves mandatory below 40 F

*Zero risk of hypothermia after all I wear to keep my skin from stinging.
Ironically, your clothing levels per temperatures are similar to mine, even though we have dissimilar taste in weather. One difference though, is I never wear shorts even when it's hot. I just don't like them; they feel weird to me. Also, the thin jacket I wear to work is an unusual one. I'm not sure why or how, but I can comfortably wear that jacket when it's near 60, and be just as comfortable in the same jacket biking to work when it's 20 degrees, with no additional layers on my upper body/torso. And the best part is, it was free!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:47 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,601,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Ironically, your clothing levels per temperatures are similar to mine, even though we have dissimilar taste in weather. One difference though, is I never wear shorts even when it's hot. I just don't like them; they feel weird to me. Also, the thin jacket I wear to work is an unusual one. I'm not sure why or how, but I can comfortably wear that jacket when it's near 60, and be just as comfortable in the same jacket biking to work when it's 20 degrees, with no additional layers on my upper body/torso. And the best part is, it was free!
Maybe you enjoy the feeling of layers?

I usually hate wearing clothing for warmth, feels restrictive to motion
I also LOVE an excuse to not wear longpants, or socks. (sandals )
I prefer pants of abrasion-protection or style, but not for warmth.
Surprisingly pants with sandals are also very-comfortable to me though.
I also love an excuse to favour very-breathable, lightweight fabrics,
though I suppose you're happy being able to choose the opposite.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 02-23-2010 at 10:03 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 05:52 AM

8,928 posts, read 7,257,567 times
Quote:
Maybe you enjoy the feeling of layers?

I usually hate wearing clothing for warmth, feels restrictive to motion
I also LOVE an excuse to not wear longpants, or socks. (sandals )
I prefer pants of abrasion-protection or style, but not for warmth.
Surprisingly pants with sandals are also very-comfortable to me though.
I also love an excuse to favour very-breathable, lightweight fabrics,
though I suppose you're happy being able to choose the opposite.
I think that has a lot to do with it for me. I love winter clothing: tweed, heavy wool, long sleeves, etc. Not to mention, I have trouble finding warm weather clothing that looks good on me. Plus, it's so warm here in the Summer that I have to wear crappy old Tshirts and ratty old jeans, because any nicer clothing would be ruined from all the sweat. But during winter I can wear pretty much all the things I like and think look best.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:58 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,601,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I think that has a lot to do with it for me. I love winter clothing: tweed, heavy wool, long sleeves, etc. Not to mention, I have trouble finding warm weather clothing that looks good on me. Plus, it's so warm here in the Summer that I have to wear crappy old Tshirts and ratty old jeans, because any nicer clothing would be ruined from all the sweat. But during winter I can wear pretty much all the things I like and think look best.
Interesting, I never thought of it as far as clothing fit/appeance.

Winter clothing is not only very-cumbersome, but I often look like I'm drowning in it.
Especially because a lot of mens' shirts are as big in the waist as in the chest.
Probably the baggy lower sleeves also drag against lower half of the shirt.

Even if winter clothing fit,
I generally hate winter and cold-weather fashion,
because what's stylish as a winter outfit is not very functional;
not providing coverage for your nose and sometimes, ears.
"CUTE" (for women ) = wearing a thin scarf around your neck and leaving you face exposed.
My neck is almost-never uncomfortable in cold, yet my face is almost-always uncomfortable.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 02-24-2010 at 04:12 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 04:41 PM

73 posts, read 60,333 times
A long sleeve shirt is sufficient for me when its in the 60s. I don't think I'd be comfortable in a coat! lol

I live across from San Francisco and it's in the 60s most of the year here. We're usually complaining that it's hot when highs are around 75 and that it's cold when highs are around 45.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:03 PM

4,022 posts, read 2,767,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I think they are pansies when it comes to dealing with weather that is not scorching hot. Alot of people in Southern California and Florida for example cover themselves with way too much clothing when they experience a daytime high of 60 degrees for example. They would never in a million years survive a real winter if they can't even handle mild daytime highs in the 60s. And don't even get me started on how they react to daytime highs in the 50s and 40s, most people in the Florida section of this forum acted like it was the end of the world when this season there were some cities in that state that had experienced a few days where the daytime highs was in the early 50s/late 40s.
I agree with other posters. It depends on what you are used to....depends on humidity level added in, too...

Also, some people have circulation problems, such as with diabetes....
Low blood pressure will also make you feel cold....

Old 02-24-2010, 06:07 PM

4,022 posts, read 2,767,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Yeah you are a pansy. In my room it is less than 65 degrees and that's indoors. People cold at 60 degrees, my my, how very LOL . Living where 62 degrees is the average summer max temperature I have learned to tolerate cold temperatures however. First time I came to Buxton I got hypothermia and it was scary. I can handle any temperature now. I prefer hot weather and I am moving to somewhere hot in a few years, or at least with hot summers. My ideal maximum daytime temperature would be around 40C / 104F every day, with a bit of humidity thrown in.
I was chilled to the bone the first time I stayed in London.....in May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather