U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 08:53 PM

21,424 posts, read 29,567,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
No, cause ILNC and I are switching places.
You know I love ya Jammie, but if I get an offer to trade places with some in NC, well you know.......... Hey you can still come on down Texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 09:46 PM

1,793 posts, read 2,597,750 times
Here's my guess: Most people are comfortable at a room temperature of 65-70 degrees.

In the summer in TX, avg temp, between the lows and the highs, is roughly 85 degrees, which is 15-20 degrees away from people's most desired temperature.

In the winter in MN, avg temp, including the lows and highs, I believe is around 10 degrees, which is 55-60 degrees away from people's most desired temperature.

So its conceivable that for many people, cold weather is at least 3 times tougher on the human body than heat and humidity. You could also try to factor in wind chill in the winter and humidity in the summer, or I guess you could assume that they cancel out.

I don't have any scientific studies on this or anything, so take it for what its worth.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:49 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,362,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Here's my guess: Most people are comfortable at a room temperature of 65-70 degrees.

In the summer in TX, avg temp, between the lows and the highs, is roughly 85 degrees, which is 15-20 degrees away from people's most desired temperature.

In the winter in MN, avg temp, including the lows and highs, I believe is around 10 degrees, which is 55-60 degrees away from people's most desired temperature.

So its conceivable that for many people, cold weather is at least 3 times tougher on the human body than heat and humidity. You could also try to factor in wind chill in the winter and humidity in the summer, or I guess you could assume that they cancel out.

I don't have any scientific studies on this or anything, so take it for what its worth.
That makes no sense.....so according to you a temp of 140F is about as easy to handle as 0F......gimme a break dude.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:04 PM

5,054 posts, read 5,505,020 times
140F would kill even the most diehard heatlovers, and as far as i know, such a temp has never been recorded on the planet, and probably never will be despite Al "douchebag" Gore's global warming.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:07 PM

20,193 posts, read 34,545,034 times
Ya, it is back to the freezer again. The low tommorrow night should be around -5F.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:01 AM

11,361 posts, read 11,104,517 times
We're cold here, too this a.m. but not like the last blast! Doesn't seem to be as windy right now but that could change!

I live across from a medical facility with 7 flagpoles, I check out those flags all the time!

Old 01-24-2009, 10:46 AM

9,595 posts, read 22,936,772 times
Quote:

65-70 F is chilly and I'm a Canadian.
I want to see 75-84 F.

85 F average temp between high and low is at the most, 5 F above my prefered temperature range.

That does make sense,
if most people do not even want to be warm (they like 65-70 F) no wonder they feel "too hot" easily.
*Or they are able to feel warm at 65-70 F, when I surely cannot.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
That makes no sense.....so according to you a temp of 140F is about as easy to handle as 0F......gimme a break dude.
In a sauna, without extra heat from sunlight...
140 F is easier to handle than 0 F for me.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:37 PM

13,495 posts, read 33,461,951 times
Quote:

I can understand what you're saying. For one thing, when it's zero outside, people are bundled up with layers of clothes and huge, heavy jackets, snowboots, etc. With extremely high temps, shorts, tank tops, and sandals work.

But for just the actual human body~no aid of a lot of heavy, warm clothes~we would be more capable of surviving in extreme heat then in extreme cold. Around here, a temp of zero will often give you a windchill of about 20 below. (sub-zero dewpoints along with wind) Without clothes, we'd be popsicles in no time.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I can understand what you're saying. For one thing, when it's zero outside, people are bundled up with layers of clothes and huge, heavy jackets, snowboots, etc. With extremely high temps, shorts, tank tops, and sandals work.

But for just the actual human body~no aid of a lot of heavy, warm clothes~we would be more capable of surviving in extreme heat then in extreme cold. Around here, a temp of zero will often give you a windchill of about 20 below. (sub-zero dewpoints along with wind) Without clothes, we'd be popsicles in no time.
^^

That's only because people call heat "extreme" when it's just hot enough to make most people stay sweaty and get thirsty fast.
(ie. heat index of 105 F could count as "extreme" here, lol)

Extreme cold is more than mere inconvienience,
in fact, it often means more than a few extra precautions for most people
when you plan to be out in it for over an hour.

Why I call "extreme heat" funny,
is because by definition, most people would be fine in it for 2-3 hours
if they had a supply of drinks and light-weight, light-coloured clothing,
even if they had no shelter from the sun.

Give people winter clothing and some hot chocolate in "extreme cold" (ie. windchill -20 F)
send them outside for 2-3 hours with no shelter,
you'll have a lot of angry people; most people will still get too cold.

*For "extreme heat," I can go out in it for 45 minutes, staying in the sun and I might get very thirsty and oily... "OH NOO!!! Not thirsty AND oily!"

** Meanwhile you could get just as moderately-uncomfortable in moderate cold, say high 30's or low 40's wearing a proper fall jacket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or