U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 05:12 PM

9,595 posts, read 21,579,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 你B View Post
Trust me, I was depressed, angry and felt like staying in the motel all day, everyday. First day, it was blowing horizontal rain, then the next afternoon we went out fishing on the peir and had to be all rugged up because it was so freaking cold with biting windchill

Here, the members on the aussie weather forums LOVE every bit of cold we get, regardless of the time of year and the vast majority HATE summer heat and go into a meltdown whenever it hits 30C for more than 2 days in a row....e.g "oh heatwave global warming we're all gonna diieeeeeee" etc
What kind of weather were you expecting?

Not surprised.
I met a bloke from Brissie in late winter who moved here because he met a Canadian.
When I asked him about what he thought of our weather,
all he said was back home Christmas can be 39 C, accompanied by a facial expression of disgust.
the impression I got off him is that OUR CLIMATE is "no big deal." (body language) :consfused:

*Then again, I can't see any reason that I would be upset at 39 C for Christmas,
and most days below 13 C and some days below 24 C upset me,
while I have only neutral-to-postive feelings about temps like 34-38 C.
So if I was in his shoes, I would have stayed in Australia, or "broke the off engagement."

** If many do die from 2-3 days of 31 C, that could mean more job openings for blokes like me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
15F is just a touch of Norway, mate
It is the cold at -15F that really catches up to you out on the slopes
I am always prepared with my heavy duty gear whenever I am out in the back country. I usually hike with someone, but tend not to get lost as I am a geographer.
Yes, but I feel part-reptilian; 85 F with 55% humidity still isn't warm enough to sweat.
(I often confuse people when my skin is still dry on days like that )

I'm not saying for everyone they should feel this way,
but for possibly thin-blooded people who take heat well,
15 F with a constant breeze is pretty tough.

*I'd be afraid to visit Norway outside of Jun-Aug,
or even Denmark before mid-May and after mid-September.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:47 PM

5,054 posts, read 5,101,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
What kind of weather were you expecting?
Not winter.

Quote:
Not surprised.
Quote:
I met a bloke from Brissie in late winter who moved here because he met a Canadian.
When I asked him about what he thought of our weather,
all he said was back home Christmas can be 39 C, accompanied by a facial expression of disgust.
the impression I got off him is that OUR CLIMATE is "no big deal." (body language) :consfused:
Go on the australian weather forums and you'll find 99.99% of the people there are a mirror image of this guy. Heat disgusts them for some reason, and they are allergic to the sun. They are not happy unless it's chucking down rain for weeks on end, with freezing temps and 1000kmh winds They go hysterical in their hatred for summer, but don't seem to show any aversion to the possibility of their houses being washed away in floods.

Quote:
*Then again, I can't see any reason that I would be upset at 39 C for Christmas,
and most days below 13 C and some days below 24 C upset me,
while I have only neutral-to-postive feelings about temps like 34-38 C.
So if I was in his shoes, I would have stayed in Australia, or "broke the off engagement."

** If many do die from 2-3 days of 31 C, that could mean more job openings for blokes like me!
lol, these people need to move to Eureka California if they desire rubbish cold and depression all year

Old 05-06-2009, 10:51 PM

298 posts, read 599,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Why do people have such an aversion to cold weather? I love, love, love cold weather. My feeling is, you can always put more clothes on to stay warm, sleep with flannel sheets and cuddle by the fire with your significant other...or your puppy.

Hot weather to me (anything above 85, depending on humidity) is absolutely awful. Only so many clothes to take off. My wife knows when I've had enough of summer when I begin closing the curtains, crank up the a/c, pull out a blanket and watch Christmas movies.

So what is it about cold weather that bothers people?

PS: yes, I live in Minnesota...the coldest weather I've been in while living here is -40 with the windchill, which was tooooo cold for me. I can handle/enjoy up to -25 and then it's time to stay inside!
You can put on more clothes, but parts will almost always be exposed (face, eyes, unless you want to look like a potential bank robber.) The parts that are exposed still feel the cold. Also, it's not as comfortable to breath. Also, we are made to avoid danger. Getting too cold is a danger to our bodies. Therefore a natural, rational response to being too cold or too hot is to be uncomfortable / want to be in a milder temperature. I probably am not rational in that I enjoy hot weather sometimes.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Not winter.

Go on the australian weather forums and you'll find 99.99% of the people there are a mirror image of this guy. Heat disgusts them for some reason, and they are allergic to the sun. They are not happy unless it's chucking down rain for weeks on end, with freezing temps and 1000kmh winds They go hysterical in their hatred for summer, but don't seem to show any aversion to the possibility of their houses being washed away in floods.

lol, these people need to move to Eureka California if they desire rubbish cold and depression all year
lol... 17 C still isn't really winter to me, though it is gross.

Ex: Here we are, almost mid-May, almost mid-Spring
and we have a HIGH forecast at 10 degrees-C, with a 25 km/h windspeed.
(exactly 42 days from the longest day of the year )

They should enroll in temporary Canadian work permits and get sent to Fort McMurray to work in the Tar Sands for a year;

annual average is 6 C day, -5 C night
average July is 23/13 C
average January is -15/-26 C
hottest high might be 32 C
warmest low might be 21 C
coldest high might be -39 C
coldest low might be -48 C
windchill could reach -60 C most years
Only about 100 days a year reasonably "frost-free"
Canadian-style winter starts there sometime before late October, and lasts until mid April
Snow is "possible" all months of the year
Zero highs at 20+ C from early September through to the next year's May

Automotive block heaters are MANDATORY 4-5 months a year,
and extension cords "regularly" get stolen because of this
(unless you learn to park on top of it, as most locals do)

You'd rather see heat-hating Aussies leave with no one to fill their place?
I'd love to get the opportunity to join someone for a backyard party when it's in the high 30's or low 40's C.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:47 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,421,282 times
It's been quite cold and dry here with prevailing southerly winds, loving it heaps. No humidity and no feeling tired and no walking around being drenched with sweat . I feel more happier and fitter, a lot of people feel the same Sleeping very, very well those nights.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
They should enroll in temporary Canadian work permits and get sent to Fort McMurray to work in the Tar Sands for a year;
reading the aussie weather forums, I just came across some stunning examples of anti-warm and anti-sun propaganda:

These are actual quotes:
Quote:
I agree coldsnap2, we need a anti-high pressure system weapon. hehe

Quote:
Yeah it's a pretty mean set up at the moment, the only saving grace is that we're getting cool winds off this high

Quote:
Just did some research and interesting enough we only got 2 days above 20c last year in May on the 14th and 15th Pete and that to me is even more impressive than 1995 considering 95 the average Max was lower. Every other day last year in May was below 20.0c.........It would be great if we could get that record but at the moment I would give that away in a second if we could just total at least an average month's rain!

Quote:
That's what happens when you get massive highs standing still in the Bight for weeks on end. Just luck really that it has established itself west of us rather than east otherwise we would be breaking records for most days above 20C.
I think these clowns would love Fort McMurray

Old 05-08-2009, 03:19 AM

Quote:
reading the aussie weather forums, I just came across some stunning examples of anti-warm and anti-sun propaganda:

These are actual quotes:
[font=Verdana, Arial]

[font=Verdana, Arial]

I think these clowns would love Fort McMurray

Quite justified. Goes to show how much Victoria's climate has changed for the worse in the past 10 - 15 years.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Quite justified. Goes to show how much Victoria's climate has changed for the worse in the past 10 - 15 years.
Justified my butt. Can't these people see how bloody cold and cloudy it is lately???? Are they forgetting the cold and wet November and December we just had? Not to mention the exceptional cold, cloudy and wet winters of recent years???

Old 05-08-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Justified my butt. Can't these people see how bloody cold and cloudy it is lately???? Are they forgetting the cold and wet November and December we just had? Not to mention the exceptional cold, cloudy and wet winters of recent years???
If you look in the database, you'll find those months are well deserved after a extremely hot January (especially) and February (during the first week). In fact you need to go back to 1996 (spring) to see the start of several consecutive months (or years) having much drier, sunnier and warmer weather than usual. Very rare nowadays for Victoria to get a cold month (below average) as well as wet and cloudy. You can bleat negatively as much as you like but you don't fool me. I have official BOM data which tells me a different story to what you've been claiming all along!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather