Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 02:19 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,157,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtbell View Post
I LOVE THE COLD!

Now, that being said, I don't perpetually STAY cold. People who touch me whether by accident or just shaking my hand find I'm always extremely hot to the touch. Hubby says I have a furnace continually burning.
I used to live in Alaska and then Northern NY before this, now I live in Maryland and I'm so waiting anxiously for us to return back to the climate I love.
It's too friggin hot here!

That all being said, my hands are as hot as a stove right now and I've got my tiny desk fan turned on because the office I work in is filled with heat loving individuals.
I wish they (scientists or doctors) could figure out a way of turning off this ability to stay warm easily/stay hot easily.
Here in Maryland its a curse!
I have a similar problem. My face and ears get randomly hot. I either have to go outside or splash cold water to get relief. Kind of odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL
True. While Buenos Aires rarely gets temp less than 40f, there are days in winter with high humidity that are so DAMPY (if that word means exactly what i think) that it feels like its 20f or something.
Today is such a day. Currently in the 30s with drizzle. Love this weather, but it does chill you to the bone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 02:28 PM

97 posts, read 146,745 times
Actually oddly enough that is the one type of cold weather I hate! Wet and cold. Give me 20 degrees and snow any day over 40 degrees and rain.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:22 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,470,574 times
My face and ears get randomly hot sometimes too.. I walked around today in a breeze and it was 9c/49f and I did not require a coat at all, but I had a T-shirt on

Old 11-22-2011, 05:30 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,356,103 times
I see people wearing T-shirts in the cold (like when it's 10°C and colder) in Buxton and think they are mad!!! While I am wearing my coat and hat. I am positive that northerners have different blood from us southerners.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:32 PM

Actually I don't think its a matter of northerners vs southerners. My Dad loves cold while my Mom hates it. I have known people in Northern NY who hated the cold while I've known people who live in the south that hate the heat. Weird.
Is it genetic? Something hard wired into some of us? Dunno. I wish my little cold tolerance bit could be toggled off until I move away from the east coast!

Old 11-22-2011, 05:37 PM

6,909 posts, read 7,635,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I see people wearing T-shirts in the cold (like when it's 10°C and colder) in Buxton and think they are mad!!! While I am wearing my coat and hat. I am positive that northerners have different blood from us southerners.
10 is warm for a tshirt, I go out with one when its 5.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:37 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,356,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtbell View Post
Actually I don't think its a matter of northerners vs southerners. My Dad loves cold while my Mom hates it. I have known people in Northern NY who hated the cold while I've known people who live in the south that hate the heat. Weird.
Is it genetic? Something hard wired into some of us? Dunno. I wish my little cold tolerance bit could be toggled off until I move away from the east coast!
Certainly in this country Northerners are well known for finding anything over 20°C (68°F) hot (especially where I live) and fainting when it reaches 75°F.

And pretty much everybody on the UK weather forums seems to love cold. Yet everyone I see in the public seems to prefer warmth and mildness and summer.

Seems most "weather fans" in the UK forums are only really interested in snow and not much else. I get that impression from the UK forum because many of these members only crawl out of the wood work in the fall/early winter, and model output chat etc... comes alive when cold weather is forecast and it all goes dead when the charts show mild, with everyone complaining and chucking their toys out of the crib.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post
10 is warm for a tshirt, I go out with one when its 5.
Blanket statements don't wash with me because everybody has different preferred temperatures. 5°C in a T-shirt is wrong to me, I wouldn't be down to a T-shirt until it was 28°C. Do you do some kind of intense physical exercise all the time? Or drink several bottles of vodka a day, maybe. I can definitely say that the vast majority of people would not agree that 5°C is comfortable in a T-shirt at all.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:46 PM

I know in Alaska (where I lived previously) we all loved the snow and really asked for it simply for a more common sense reason. Once we got a good snow on the ground the roads would freeze and the snow would have the extra added benefit of reflecting the street lights which would brighten things a bit once we had really lost a lot of our sunlight. Of course those with a snow go loved it too simply because now they could use their fav toy again!
Still though, I knew people in Alaska that HANDS DOWN hated winter and cold and everything to do with it.
I've lived in Tennessee and have known people who loved winter and cold.
I've lived in Kansas where people were mixed. I have noticed however that in the southern climes the percentage of heat lovers is higher while in the northern areas the percentage is higher of cool weather lovers.
Is this just because these people have acclimated? Or is it people tend to gravitate to the areas with temps that are agreeable to them?

Something to chew on.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:49 PM

690 posts, read 1,197,587 times
scraping ice off car
slippery pavements
constantly adding/removing clothing layers
association with short dark days
heating costs
effort to get up on cold mornings.

that said, i do find fresh weather invigorating, like 5-15c fresh, not subzero.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:55 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,157,378 times
I live in a place with moderate, but still distinct seasons. I've experienced hot humid summers and cold snowy winters. I personally don't mind dealing with shoveling, scraping ice off the car, etc. Driving can be dicey and heating costs can be an issue, but I'm willing to put up with it. I'm just too uncomfortable dealing with daily life during the summer. And as a weather fan, winter is much more exciting than summer.

I also live in a town with a ski resort, so admittedly there's an economic interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather