Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 08:18 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,368,164 times

Advertisements

^^^Exactly.

Oh yeah, how lovely winter is, Oh I really can't wait, in fact I can't stop gushing over how much I'm looking forward to de-icing the car in the dark and then sliding about on black ice on the country's most dangerous road tonight just to get the dinner on the table. Like heck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 08:21 AM

584 posts, read 1,683,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
^^^Exactly.

Oh yeah, how lovely winter is, Oh I really can't wait, in fact I can't stop gushing over how much I'm looking forward to de-icing the car in the dark and then sliding about on black ice on the country's most dangerous road tonight just to get the dinner on the table. Like heck!
You must have posted yours a few seconds after my post. Please see my list ...

I also look "forward" to de icing my car in the winter

Why do so many people work their entire life just to dream to retire in Florida, mostly around Disney and South/central Florida ? The reason is plain simple: Most people hate the cold weather, so if they could afford it, they would move to the tropical/subtropical zones to retire.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
You must have posted yours a few seconds after my post. Please see my list ...

I also look "forward" to de icing my car in the winter

Why do so many people work their entire life just to dream to retire in Florida, mostly around Disney and South/central Florida ? The reason is plain simple: Most people hate the cold weather, so if they could afford it, they would move to the tropical/subtropical zones to retire.

I was agreeing with you really, I was just being sarcastic (to those people who actually do like winter and cold so much). I totally agree with your list, and I wish I could relocate to Australia or southern Spain any day of the year.

Every time I go outside, and its bitter zero degree wind chill and stinging cold, snow, ice etc... I know I would take 104°F any day of the year over that crap.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:45 AM

584 posts, read 1,683,701 times
I lived in central Canada before and I hated it. It was -30C, -40, -50C windchill in the winter and I had to bundle up everytime I went outside, especially when I was waiting for the bus to school even inside the bus shelter.

Then I moved to southern Ontario, it's warmer compared to central Canada. But now I love South Florida for the winter weather, central Florida for Disney/Universal & other activities. And of course the cruises the Florida has to offer... It's so beautiful in South & Central Florida in the winter, especially South Florida.

People move North because of a lot of other reasons, not because they "hate" warm weather. Just like people like myself who stays in Canada because I had no choice. But now given the choice, I don't even think twice to spend as much time as possible in South/Central Florida for the winter. Of course it a balancing act as I have to take family & children into account ...

Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 AM

97 posts, read 146,928 times
Actually I am choosing to move up North because I don't like heat. I would never choose to move to anywhere like Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc. WAY too hot!
Give me average 70-75 temps in the summer, first snow in late Oct, full gorgeous winters of lots of snow, mountains, pine trees and temps of -15 to 30 and I'm happy. Heck even at -20 I'm okay. Must admit though, I've been in -56 before and that was a bit too brisk for me.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:08 AM

841 posts, read 3,052,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneoskay View Post
I agree with you, even though I now live in California I am from North Dakota and have been in 42 below weather. Try changing a flat tire in that weather Ha Ha
But I hate hot weather too and hot weather makes people stupid and lazy. Look at all the countries in the northern hemisphere all the famous, smart and important people that come from there
Look at MOST of the countries in the southern hemisphere, still living in grass huts and eating ants.
I know this post is very old, but I couldn't resist replying to it.

So, ioneoskay, you seem to think that the equator is located in the South Pole and that it's scorching hot over there all the time.

BTW, a very prejudiced statement, unless it's meant to be just humorous or ironic and not informative.

As to the topic of the thread, I like the cold and hate the heat. The cold brightens me up and I feel happier. The heat brings me down a bit, and makes me anxious. When it's cold I feel so relaxed, whereas when it's hot I feel like overwhelmed, heavy, numb.

I don't mind having to put on more clothes, it's really no big deal. In fact, it's sometimes good because I can carry more things with me since I have more pockets where to put them.

But then I must admit that I should spend more than a year living in a place where winters are really cold. I think I should stand the cold very well in places with a monthly average in the coldest month of 0°C / 32°F (like NYC). (Where I live it's more like 10°C r 11 °C / 50°F or 52°F). I think I would also enjoy winter like that of Chicago (-4°C), but then winters like Moscow or Minneapolis, I don't know, I should try.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtbell View Post
Actually I am choosing to move up North because I don't like heat. I would never choose to move to anywhere like Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc. WAY too hot!
Give me average 70-75 temps in the summer, first snow in late Oct, full gorgeous winters of lots of snow, mountains, pine trees and temps of -15 to 30 and I'm happy. Heck even at -20 I'm okay. Must admit though, I've been in -56 before and that was a bit too brisk for me.
Texas and Arizona can be hot, Florida? Not really, 90°F isn't hot. Low of 70 and highs of 90 like in FLA is perfect. It's people who over use the Air Conditioning at the slightest sign of heat who "hate the heat" because they never let their body acclimatize to it, by sitting indoors with AC on all the time. The human body evolved from the tropics and such temperatures are our natural environment, not cold blistery garbage with itchy dry indoor heating and stupid thick layers of clothes adorning our bodies.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:17 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,946,912 times
there is one retard near my place that blasts his AC without fail as soon as it hits 25C. And even on our regular cold summer evenings when it gets below 20C by sunset, he his still slamming his AC at full power. God, why don't these penguins move to Campbell freaking Island.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:17 AM

97 posts, read 146,928 times
Florida to me is extremely HOT and humid! I am miserable there unless I can find a pool and a cold drink.
I only will go to Florida now a days during the winter because at least the temperatures are not so extreme.
Still though, that's why I'm moving BACK to Alaska.
I can deal with -56 no problem. Can't deal with 80 and humid.
Summertime I just get depressed and frustrated in heat. Wintertime I get moving, play in the snow, enjoy shoveling, etc.
Different strokes for different folks.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:19 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,946,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtbell View Post
Florida to me is extremely HOT and humid! I am miserable there unless I can find a pool and a cold drink.
I only will go to Florida now a days during the winter because at least the temperatures are not so extreme.
Still though, that's why I'm moving BACK to Alaska.
I can deal with -56 no problem. Can't deal with 80 and humid.
Summertime I just get depressed and frustrated in heat. Wintertime I get moving, play in the snow, enjoy shoveling, etc.
Different strokes for different folks.

80 and humid is nothing. -56... well that will result in you being a limb-less quadraplegic if you spend 5 minutes exposed in it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather