U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-09-2011, 09:25 AM

97 posts, read 57,148 times
Actually I've done grocery shopping in -56 with my 3 year old son before. I lived in Fairbanks for 3 years. -10 to -30 is pretty easy. Heck I've hiked in temps like that.
We just dress sensibly to deal with the colder temps. Even my husband, a soldier, has done PT in -30 temps. No problem.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 09:26 AM

785 posts, read 656,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Texas and Arizona can be hot, Florida? Not really, 90F isn't hot. Low of 70 and highs of 90 like in FLA is perfect. It's people who over use the Air Conditioning at the slightest sign of heat who "hate the heat" because they never let their body acclimatize to it, by sitting indoors with AC on all the time. The human body evolved from the tropics and such temperatures are our natural environment, not cold blistery garbage with itchy dry indoor heating and stupid thick layers of clothes adorning our bodies.
I don't have A/C and so I let my body acclimatize to the heat, but all the same I hate it. In fact, one of the things I don't like about A/C is that it encourages you to stay home and I don't really like that. Anyway, that's not the reason why I don't have A/C.

It's true we have evolved from the tropics, but we are complex beings. I know I wouldn't tolerate the cold being naked, but once I'm properly dressed the feeling I get in the cold is so appealing.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:26 AM

7,039 posts, read 3,684,697 times
Part of the hate of that cold to me, is the trouble to have to dress up like that anyway to go out.

At least if it's summer and 80 degrees both inside and outside you can just walk in or out with no preparation. Much easier.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:32 AM

10,420 posts, read 5,481,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Texas and Arizona can be hot, Florida? Not really, 90F isn't hot. Low of 70 and highs of 90 like in FLA is perfect. It's people who over use the Air Conditioning at the slightest sign of heat who "hate the heat" because they never let their body acclimatize to it, by sitting indoors with AC on all the time. The human body evolved from the tropics and such temperatures are our natural environment, not cold blistery garbage with itchy dry indoor heating and stupid thick layers of clothes adorning our bodies.
Depends on the person. I definitely do not overuse A/C. I'll sit in my house for hours sweating my ass off feeling miserable before caving in. When I was younger my parents didn't even install an A/C. Try sleeping when it's 75 F at 3AM and in the 80s indoors. No matter how much I try, I could never get used to sleeping/living in a warm, stuffy house. Not to mention, even if you're heat tolerant, you still need A/C in much of the US due to the humidity, otherwise it gets damp, grimy, and mold could start growing.

I'm willing to put up with the inconveniences of winter. I've driven on dangerous icy roads (up to 1,800 feet). I've cleared snow and ice off my car on bitterly cold mornings. I've dug my car out of two feet of snow. Other than the dangerous driving, it's all worth it to me. I love snow and the fresh air.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:02 AM

Give me this any day!

The picture is from Northern NY where we used to live.
BTW, I lived in Hawaii with no ac, NY no ac, and AK no ac.
Hated the temp in Hawaii. Too hot for me.
Really missed the AC in AK & NY because while it's super easy to heat up a house its super hard to cool a house on a 80 degree day with no AC.
Attached Thumbnails
Cold weather: why do so many people dislike it?-ny.jpg  

Old 12-09-2011, 11:37 AM

563 posts, read 507,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtbell View Post
Actually I am choosing to move up North because I don't like heat. I would never choose to move to anywhere like Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc. WAY too hot!
Give me average 70-75 temps in the summer, first snow in late Oct, full gorgeous winters of lots of snow, mountains, pine trees and temps of -15 to 30 and I'm happy. Heck even at -20 I'm okay. Must admit though, I've been in -56 before and that was a bit too brisk for me.
Wow, please come up here and live in Central Canada, you will get lots of snow in October.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
80 and humid is nothing. -56... well that will result in you being a limb-less quadraplegic if you spend 5 minutes exposed in it
That's right ! Human can survive at 80 but will freeze to death at -56.

We are tropical species, not artic species.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:50 AM

506 posts, read 516,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
That's right ! Human can survive at 80 but will freeze to death at -56.

We are tropical species, not artic species.
That's not a very sensible comparison, though. If you look at a cold climate like Fairbanks, the average low in January is above -20 F. For a hot climate like Houston, the average high in August is about 95 F.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:07 PM

Snowbird,
I so wish I could! Unfortunately I'm stuck where I am until the winter of 2013 at which point I will be so very happily moving back up to Fairbanks Alaska.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
That's not a very sensible comparison, though. If you look at a cold climate like Fairbanks, the average low in January is above -20 F. For a hot climate like Houston, the average high in August is about 95 F.
I was saying our genetic make up, human survive without clothing in tropical zone but will not survive at even 32F, let alone -20F or lower.

Human beings migrated and adopted colder zone because the extra clothing we put on, it doesn't mean our genetic make up allow us to survive for even 5 minutes at -20F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather