Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 07:11 PM

584 posts, read 1,683,701 times

Advertisements

You see, #1 (Vancouver or Toronto) according to the Mercer Report (forgot which years, Toronto was long time ago) includes a lot of things:

Just to list a few:
- Air quality
- Political stability
- Gender equality
- Human rights
- Health care system (universal health care)
- Education system
- Libraries
- Public service
- Social safety net (welfare, social assistance)
- Crime rates
- Public transit
- Economy
- I forgot the list as I read it long time ago ...

But I don't need most of the goodies anymore !

In fact, I only need the weather (20C-30C), health care (universal health care in Canada extends to cover Ontario for 7 months outside Ontario), cruises to the Caribbean, Panama canal, South America, royal palms trees, beaches, outlet malls (really cheap in Florida compared to Toronto), Theme parks (Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, Gatorland, Busch Gardens ...)

That's why I prefer Florida as I don't need most of the Quality of LIVING (not LIFE) as outlined in the Mercer Report anymore !

Of course I wouldn't choose the UK or Europe either !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 07:18 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,494,577 times
Okay, move to Florida, enjoy your life in a tacky cultureless cesspit and please stop ramming your preferences down everyone's throats.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Canada doesn't have a monopoly on winter weather. I deal with everything you've mentioned each year. I still enjoy winter despite some of the inconveniences it brings.

Keep in mind, Florida isn't all paradise. The state's economy is struggling, public education is subpar for the most part, it's hot for more than six month a year, goodness knows what kind of creatures you'll have to deal with, and to top it off, there's always the risk of getting your house flattened by a hurricane. I'll take some snow and ice over that.
I know exactly what you said (please see the post before as I posted it before I saw your post).

First of all, winter is your place New Jersey is not as harsh as Canada, your streetscape should look a bit better as it's a bit warmer in Jan (warmer than Toronto), so there's a good chance the snow will melt. That's why you are "comfortable"

I lived in central Canada before, it was like HELL ! -45C winter after winter and I was so fed up with it ! My face was all "frozen", my legs were all "frozen" as I had to wait for the bus to go to school in the winter ...

I had to plug in the block heater and car warmer at night or my car would not start and freeze my butts up in the car for 20 minutes.

I know Florida is not all paradise, I know that !

The state's economy has nothing to do with me I am a foreigner spending some time in Florida, that's it !

Hurricane: All you need is a condo, NOT a house ! A condo will have hurricane resist windows, and you buy insurance, pay condo fee ...

Then you enjoy the paradise: Cruises, royal palms, beaches, outlet malls (cheap cheap cheap), theme parks (Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, Gatorland, Everglades ...)

Old 12-17-2011, 07:25 PM

The other disadvantage of Florida is the crime rate which will affect those who live there.

I don't know why the crime rate is so high ? No jobs ?

Old 12-17-2011, 07:33 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,170,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
I know exactly what you said (please see the post before as I posted it before I saw your post).

First of all, winter is your place New Jersey is not as harsh as Canada, your streetscape should look a bit better as it's a bit warmer in Jan (warmer than Toronto), so there's a good chance the snow will melt. That's why you are "comfortable"

I lived in central Canada before, it was like HELL ! -45C winter after winter and I was so fed up with it ! My face was all "frozen", my legs were all "frozen" as I had to wait for the bus to go to school in the winter ...

I had to plug in the block heater and car warmer at night or my car would not start and freeze my butts up in the car for 20 minutes.

I know Florida is not all paradise, I know that !

The state's economy has nothing to do with me I am a foreigner spending some time in Florida, that's it !

Hurricane: All you need is a condo, NOT a house ! A condo will have hurricane resist windows, and you buy insurance, pay condo fee ...

Then you enjoy the paradise: Cruises, royal palms, beaches, outlet malls (cheap cheap cheap), theme parks (Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, Gatorland, Everglades ...)
Of course it's colder in Canada. I'm not disputing that. Though Toronto's January average is about the same as here. In fact the average low is colder where I live. The all time record low is lower in my town. Snowfall is about the same. How would you know what the streets look like if you've never been here? Sure, the snow does melt sometimes, but often times the snow banks don't melt until spring.

If you want to live in Florida, the economy will have an effect on you, i.e. home prices, rent, job opportunities, etc. Hurricanes can still have a major effect on your life if half your town is wiped off the map. Although my grandparents were spared from the worse of Hurricane Andrew in 1992, they still suffered damage to their property and were without power for a couple weeks. No power in Florida in the middle of summer can be miserable.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:35 PM

Topic: Cold weather, why do so many people dislike it ?

I remember another thing living in -10 -30C, -45C: De-icer ! If you don't carry it with you, there's a good chance you won't be able to open your car door

Old 12-17-2011, 07:39 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,444,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Why do people have such an aversion to cold weather? I love, love, love cold weather. My feeling is, you can always put more clothes on to stay warm, sleep with flannel sheets and cuddle by the fire with your significant other...or your puppy.

Hot weather to me (anything above 85, depending on humidity) is absolutely awful. Only so many clothes to take off. My wife knows when I've had enough of summer when I begin closing the curtains, crank up the a/c, pull out a blanket and watch Christmas movies.

So what is it about cold weather that bothers people?

PS: yes, I live in Minnesota...the coldest weather I've been in while living here is -40 with the windchill, which was tooooo cold for me. I can handle/enjoy up to -25 and then it's time to stay inside!
so what do you do for a living.......LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Of course it's colder in Canada. I'm not disputing that. Though Toronto's January average is about the same as here. In fact the average low is colder where I live. The all time record low is lower in my town. Snowfall is about the same. How would you know what the streets look like if you've never been here? Sure, the snow does melt sometimes, but often times the snow banks don't melt until spring.

If you want to live in Florida, the economy will have an effect on you, i.e. home prices, rent, job opportunities, etc. Hurricanes can still have a major effect on your life if half your town is wiped off the map. Although my grandparents were spared from the worse of Hurricane Andrew in 1992, they still suffered damage to their property and were without power for a couple weeks. No power in Florida in the middle of summer can be miserable.
Sorry, I was using NYC to compare Toronto, and I know NYC is warmer than Toronto. I didn't check NJ as I don't know which city you live in.

So it looks like NJ is comparable to Toronto then. I suppose.

I am Canadian, so jobs in Florida don't affect me, I suppose !?

Do you know if detached properties were damaged instead of condos ?

22,118 posts, read 29,494,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
The other disadvantage of Florida is the crime rate which will affect those who live there.

I don't know why the crime rate is so high ? No jobs ?
Maybe they are driven crazy because of the unbearable heat and humidity? Or maybe just living in Florida.

Florida is a great place to retire but spare a thought for people who have to live and work there

Old 12-17-2011, 07:42 PM

Frankly I am still exploring Florida as a "tourist", in the tourist destinations. But so far so good.

Well close to 1 million Canadians (mostly from Ontario and Quebec) flood to Florida in the winter, I suppose Florida is not as scary as people think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather