Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 07:44 PM

584 posts, read 1,683,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Maybe they are driven crazy because of the unbearable heat and humidity? Or maybe just living in Florida.

Florida is a great place to retire but spare a thought for people who have to live and work there
I was just asking a question, no other intention !

I heard there are lots of drugs deals in Florida, don't know if it is true or not !

I also saw a movie about how drug dealers brought drugs into Florida as it has a long coast line ... Don't know if it's true or not !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 07:50 PM

I have experience living in the tropics, subtropics, continental climates from +35C all the way down to -45C, that's why I think I can share with readers what it's like:

Life in cold climates (-45C, -35C, -15C) is much much harsher than the humid/huricane tropical climate.

You are welcome to try -45C in Winnipeg and learn it for yourself

Old 12-17-2011, 07:58 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,494,577 times
-45C is the record low for Winnipeg.. so I don't think I will be trying that anytime soon!

I wouldn't like -45C, nor would I like 45C.

Wouldn't mind Toronto's climate though, record low is only -32 which is weak compared to Winnipeg.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:05 PM

Toronto is much nicer than Winnipeg (Winterpeg), in fact Toronto is the warmest city East of the Rockies in Canada.

I think Toronto is barely bearable for me if I had no choice (except Vancouver but now it's too expensive for me). But given the choice, 6 months South Florida, 6 months Toronto.

I never experienced +45C, I think it must feel like an oven But I experience +35C for a long time in the tropics, it's hot but bearable, I sweat, but I enjoyed swimming so it's ok for me.

But what did I do at -45C: HELL !

Last edited by Snowbird100; 12-17-2011 at 08:14 PM..

Old 12-17-2011, 08:05 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,629,091 times
Florida's climate isn't the best tropical climate around there are much better options even if you don't have a lot of money..
Many places in Latin America are much cheaper and don't have the same weather risks...
Take for example Natal, Brazil
3000+ hours of sun
temperatures always 25C-35C
no hurricanes
no earthquakes
no tornadoes

Old 12-17-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Florida's climate isn't the best tropical climate around there are much better options even if you don't have a lot of money..
Many places in Latin America are much cheaper and don't have the same weather risks...
Take for example Natal, Brazil
3000+ hours of sun
temperatures always 25C-35C
no hurricanes
no earthquakes
no tornadoes
I know but I have absolutely no information nor experience with Latin America at all !

I don't speak Spanish, what about safety issue ?

I know Mexico (Cancun area) is warmer than South Florida, but ... I don't speak spanish, don't know people living there, no experience, safety issue... I know I know, it is cheaper living in Latin America with guarantee warm winter ...

Old 12-17-2011, 08:12 PM

I have no experience about Latin America at all ! Perhaps when get to know more about her, I might choose to snowbird there but ... hmmm Spanish, I only know a few words .. Si, Non, combien, gracia, denada ...

I wish I spoke Spanish

Old 12-17-2011, 08:13 PM

475 posts, read 811,463 times
Whoever started this thread has never spent a couple of weeks on the Canadian Prairies in the middle of January. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT COLD IS!

I've experienced 115 degrees in Arizona 44.8c and -45C or -49F in the north ..I will choose the plus side any day. Swimming on a 115 F day is fabulous..what can you do when it's -45....except die of exposure.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:15 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,629,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
I know but I have absolutely no information nor experience with Latin America at all !

I don't speak Spanish, what about safety issue ?

I know Mexico (Cancun area) is warmer than South Florida, but ... I don't speak spanish, don't know people living there, no experience, safety issue... I know I know, it is cheaper living in Latin America with guarantee warm winter ...
Actually I've been to nearby Fortaleza in Brazil and while the crime rate would typically be higher than an average Canadian city.. it wasn't ridiculous like Rio for example. You could walk around by yourself during the day time in all but the poorest areas without much fear. At night, you could still go out but would have to take more caution. Natal being an even smaller city probably would have even less of a crime rate.
The language issue isn't really all that pressing... people there are very accommodating and will help you even with sign language and you would probably pick up Portuguese very quickly anyway.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes172 View Post
Whoever started this thread has never spent a couple of weeks on the Canadian Prairies in the middle of January. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT COLD IS!

I've experienced 115 degrees in Arizona 44.8c and -45C or -49F in the north ..I will choose the plus side any day. Swimming on a 115 F day is fabulous..what can you do when it's -45....except die of exposure.
For me:

Experienced +35C, 36C (tropics) for a long time, day after day, months after months, not just ONE DAY !

Experienced -45C plus windchill factor for along time, winter after winter, not just ONE DAY !

I also choose the PLUS side any day ! When it is +35C I went to the beach and swim, it is fabulous !

For those Floridians: Don't think you have the worst climate, you are the lucky ones, climate wise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather