U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 08:11 AM

22,198 posts, read 22,395,358 times

Advertisements

Can't do much of that in the UK, considering every summer for the past 5 years has either been 'the coolest since' or 'the wettest since'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 05:52 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,279,509 times
I'm with the OP on this one! I think cold weather isn't necessarily a bad thing but cold is relative. What may be cold to one person isn't cold for another person. I'd like the ideal cold temperatures for me to be anywhere between 30-50 degrees and that's for the highs minus the wind because I do not like cold winds. But we don't get highs in the 30s or 40s where I am because I'm too far south for that. I'd say its easier to warm up than to get cool.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:26 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,541,199 times
I think a major part of discomfort for me in cold, especially far below freezing, seems to be the discomfort breathing as the air seems to sting as it enters my lungs before it can warm up -- it's worse when I am say, running or doing strenous activity and out of breath and it feels like icy air being sucked and coming in as I breathe heavily.

Anyone else bothered by that or is something wrong with me?

Dressing warmly gets rid of the "not being able to warm up my body, and shivering because of it" part of discomfort but I think that sensation still bothers me.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:13 PM

15,044 posts, read 13,108,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I'm with the OP on this one! I think cold weather isn't necessarily a bad thing but cold is relative. What may be cold to one person isn't cold for another person. I'd like the ideal cold temperatures for me to be anywhere between 30-50 degrees and that's for the highs minus the wind because I do not like cold winds. But we don't get highs in the 30s or 40s where I am because I'm too far south for that. I'd say its easier to warm up than to get cool.
I couldn't agree more, especially with the last line. Even on the coldest days of winter, I'm very comfortable if dressed properly. But when I wear light clothing during the summer, I still feel uncomfortably hot.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:48 PM

186 posts, read 255,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
Thanks for letting me know about NJ.

Toronto Island is the warmest of Toronto, then the city of Toronto, then Pearson International Airport, then the suburb.

I would devide the city of Toronto into half, area South of hwy 401 is below the snow belt, however, some use hwy 7 (which is much further North of hwy 401) as the snow belt. But in any case, the southern part of Toronto is warmer than the northern part and of course the subburb.

Area near lake Ontario accumulates less snow and sometimes see green grass in the winter, no chance for area North of the snow belt (hwy 7).
I live roughly 100 km west of Toronto (Kitchener), and it is sometimes hard to believe how much warmer Toronto (the GTA) is compared to here during the winter.

Apparently, the downtown area (Toronto Island, or the Annex, whichever your point of reference is) is even warmer than the suburbs. January averages 25 degrees in the downtown area, 21 degrees in Pearson airport, and 19 degrees in the northern suburbs, so it is indeed quite a bit colder than Northwestern New Jersey. Some places like Kitchener, London, and Guelph have averages even lower than that if I'm not mistaken, and all these cities are considered part of Southern Ontario as well.

And of course, these places (and some other colder and snowier places such as Montreal and Ottawa) are paradise in the winter compared to most other places in Canada such as Winterpeg, Edmonton, Iqaluit, Yellowknife, etc. So, no thanks for -45

Old 12-19-2011, 12:51 PM

585 posts, read 1,143,172 times
I can tell you that when I was driving North from downtown Toronto, in Dec, I noticed front lawns changed from green to white.

Kitchener and all the way to London Ontario is severely affected by the lake effect snow from lake Huron and Georgian Bay as that vast area (Kitchener/London and North of them) is wide open, hence susceptable to blowing snow, that section of hwy 401 is also affected by lake effect snow.

Toronto is South of the snow belt (hwy 7), but I use hwy 401. So it is milder compared to the suburb.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:14 PM

585 posts, read 1,143,172 times
The reason Toronto escapes most of the lake effect snow is her location. She is too far South from Georgian Bay and lake Simcoe.

Another reason Toronto is warmer, especially the down town area is b/c lake Ontario moderates the cold air.

On the other hand, area South of lakes Ontario and Erie (upper state NY, Buffalo to Erie) has lots of snow compared to Toronto. Reason: Lake effect snow !

Old 01-14-2012, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 998 times
BLEAH!!! Reasons to hate cold weather/ winter:
Nose never stops running
Numb fingers and toes
Stiff, achy joints
Scraping frost and shovelling snow
Frozen water pipes
Cold wind on face makes the sinuses scream with pain
FLU!
Chapped lips and cracked, bleeding knuckles
Putting on enough clothes to keep one from freezing to death is cumbersome and restricts movement
Driving in snow and stupid icy crap, and having to wait in the frozen Hell for AAA to haul you out of a ditch because SOMEBODY can't DRIVE!
Grey, dismal skies

Old 01-14-2012, 12:03 PM

5,901 posts, read 7,954,791 times
heat haters/cold lovers need to improve!! This thread haves almost 60 pages while the "why i hate summer" thread only haves 10!!!

count me among the heat haters, of course!!

Old 01-14-2012, 01:34 PM

5,562 posts, read 6,060,221 times
Well, maybe with enough time it can get to 60 pages. I'm sure there's enough material worth mentioning to fill up that volume. And by the way, the original post had a cold-lover bent to it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or