U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-01-2012, 08:03 AM

13 posts, read 8,852 times
Default didn't know there was any other cold lovers!!

I have the same question too believe me! I don't know how anyone can LIKE it COLD!!!!!!!
The ONLY explanation I can conceive of is that we all have different tolerences. For example, if I am actually hot (for some strange reason, or if I'm exercising heavily?) I can take a lower temp. But if I'm sweating, I cool off within 15 mins and am freezing!!!!!!!

So to those of you who like it cold: (sorry - don't mean to sabotage your thread! )
Is it that you are just not cold even when it's a very low temp, or do you actually enjoy BEING cold?!

For me, I don't really feel hot unless it's, well, HOT!!!
Like if I'm mowing in the beating midday summer sun in 90+ degrees, I'll sweat, thus cooling me off. I never feel "hot" for long.
But when I do, I actually LIKE it!!!

Like the feeling of a space heater blowing right on your bare skin - you know how that "burns"? I like that! ?! [/quote]

OMG, to answer your question YES we (I) LOVE the cold!! I am like you be exactly the opposite! If it's over 65 I start to get nervous...I get a pain in my gut in Feb as I know the days will start to get longer and the miserable heat will be upon us! I grew up in Houston and lived in Austin for 35 yrs. I ALWAYS hated heat & sunshine equally. I didn't put two & two together when I was growing up my mood would surge at the first cold snap (when Texas actually had one!). In my 30's I started visiting supposedly cold places & was always dissappointed cuz it was always sunny. I've been to Ireland twice in 85 degree heat waves for 10 days...my pictures from my trip to scotland look like I'm in Greece...and now, I live in Portland OR where it is too freakin' warm and waaaay too many days of sunshine for this mole. It is WINTER right now & It's in the 50's....that totally sux! I was told there would be no summer, but this past summer was horrid with the endless days of sun and no clouds in the sky whatsoever. I am a 5th generation Texas whose parents put on a sweater if it drops under 75F. I worked in the Antarctic for 7 austral summers where temps would get to -50F, then get to nearly 40above in January...so I think my chemistry was permanently re-wired for cold....I am going to have to move again as the PNW is not cold or cloudy enough....Juneau maybe...any ideas cold lovers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-01-2012, 09:35 AM

88 posts, read 49,346 times
Sendintheclouds,
You and I are both the same it seems. I cannot stand heat.
Now that all being said, yes, I do like saunas and steam rooms, yes I like lounging at a pool or beach on a warm day but to live in, every day, I love temps that range in the 50's to 70's during the summer. And I LOVE my winters!! Give me snowy, 15 degrees and blustery any day!!!
Oh and by the way, when it's 15 degrees, or even -30, I'm not actually cold!!! I stay warm almost all the time. My coworkers used to tease me because my hands are always hot like I've been holding them over a furnace!

Unread 02-01-2012, 09:59 AM

22,853 posts, read 9,918,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtbell View Post
My coworkers used to tease me because my hands are always hot like I've been holding them over a furnace!
I have the opposite problem. Some people think that I must have been nervous.

Unread 02-01-2012, 11:31 AM

4,749 posts, read 2,070,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendintheclouds View Post
OMG, to answer your question YES we (I) LOVE the cold!! I am like you be exactly the opposite! If it's over 65 I start to get nervous...I get a pain in my gut in Feb as I know the days will start to get longer and the miserable heat will be upon us! I grew up in Houston and lived in Austin for 35 yrs. I ALWAYS hated heat & sunshine equally. I didn't put two & two together when I was growing up my mood would surge at the first cold snap (when Texas actually had one!). In my 30's I started visiting supposedly cold places & was always dissappointed cuz it was always sunny. I've been to Ireland twice in 85 degree heat waves for 10 days...my pictures from my trip to scotland look like I'm in Greece...and now, I live in Portland OR where it is too freakin' warm and waaaay too many days of sunshine for this mole. It is WINTER right now & It's in the 50's....that totally sux! I was told there would be no summer, but this past summer was horrid with the endless days of sun and no clouds in the sky whatsoever. I am a 5th generation Texas whose parents put on a sweater if it drops under 75F. I worked in the Antarctic for 7 austral summers where temps would get to -50F, then get to nearly 40above in January...so I think my chemistry was permanently re-wired for cold....I am going to have to move again as the PNW is not cold or cloudy enough....Juneau maybe...any ideas cold lovers?
Quote:
Sendintheclouds,
You and I are both the same it seems. I cannot stand heat.
Now that all being said, yes, I do like saunas and steam rooms, yes I like lounging at a pool or beach on a warm day but to live in, every day, I love temps that range in the 50's to 70's during the summer. And I LOVE my winters!! Give me snowy, 15 degrees and blustery any day!!!
Oh and by the way, when it's 15 degrees, or even -30, I'm not actually cold!!! I stay warm almost all the time. My coworkers used to tease me because my hands are always hot like I've been holding them over a furnace!
I am in 100 percent agreement with the entirety of these two posts. Aside from the very hot hands and the experiences, I am exactly the same way. I appreciate and really like all of these pieces written by winter weather lovers.

About ideas, I would suggest Anchorage if you're looking for a major city. If you're fine in a smaller town, the southern coast of Labrador is nice, as is parts of the northern Alaska Panhandle, such as Skagway and adjacent Canadian regions such as Carcross, Yukon. Valdez may also be a good choice.

Unread 02-01-2012, 11:35 AM

7,039 posts, read 3,104,313 times
Why don't I like cold? Um, because I don't like feeling of the cold? Uh yeah, that's it.

Unread 02-01-2012, 12:36 PM

154 posts, read 97,449 times
There are some of us that for medical reasons the cold is painful.

I wear gloves in the car with the heat on and when I get in the office my hands are still cold and painful. My knees and hips are sore when it gets cold and damp. The cold makes it hard for me to go down stairs, and its painful to walk more than a few blocks.

Moving to Fla later this year to help it.

Unread 03-04-2012, 04:11 PM

88 posts, read 49,346 times
Anchorage is a lovely city! I had my son there! Hubby and I both loved Alaska!
See for me, when I'm walking in 30 degree temps I simply do not feel it. You can feel my hands, my skin and I'm actually warm to the touch. It takes a lot for me to get cold. I do have moments when I get cold and want a sweater on but most who know me know that usually means I'm getting sick.

Unread 03-04-2012, 06:21 PM

4,749 posts, read 2,070,500 times
Quote:
See for me, when I'm walking in 30 degree temps I simply do not feel it. You can feel my hands, my skin and I'm actually warm to the touch. It takes a lot for me to get cold.
Yes, exactly. That's the difference between "cold weather" and feeling "too cold". Being warm-blooded means being able to generate one's own body heat, so one can be comfortable in cold conditions. That's why a lot of us feel so comfortable in 60, 70, or 80 F degree weather, as opposed to 98F weather (mean body temperature); because humans are mammals, and thus warm-blooded. I'm not alleging anyone is cold-blooded or reptilian here; it's just that some humans generate more body heat than others, which I'm sure no one will dispute that has been in a room where they were wearing a sweater or coat, but their partner wearing a short-suit, and both were fine.

I also agree with the entirety of the content of your post, and I am pretty much the same way myself. In fact, once acclimated I wheel out the household garbage can in 15F weather (with light or no winds) wearing what one would ordinarily wear on a golf course (short sleeves, shorts, and sandals, plus sunglasses if it's sunny) and I'm just fine and warm, with little to no discomfort.

It's a unique and lovely feeling to have such a cloud of condensation from my own breath dispersing in front of me when I'm so lightly clothed. I imagine it's how Alaskan bears must feel .

Even when I'm not acclimated and in "summer mode", 30 or 40F is no problem. Of course this is for periods lasting 5-10 minutes. For longer periods in either case I wear a vest or a light jacket. I wear a coat (which is usually my trusty parka) under any circumstance if it's below about 10F, and I always wear a parka when temperatures are 0F or below. Still I'm quite toasty in a parka even down to -5 or -10F. Also for certain in any temperature above 0F, for me a significant lightening-up is required when exposed to sunshine. 10F or 20F with strong sun and off the coat goes .

Strangely enough my legs run hotter than my torso, so even when I have a parka on often I will have shorts with it, and I'm just fine in shorts even for long periods down to the singles Fahrenheit. Of course if I'm in snow it's a different sensation than just cold, so I wear ski pants.

Unread 03-04-2012, 06:46 PM

24,694 posts, read 15,396,441 times
The original question to me suggests that the OP thinks most people are natural eskimos are somethiing.

Unread 03-04-2012, 06:57 PM

13,001 posts, read 6,138,041 times
Quote:
Anchorage is a lovely city! I had my son there! Hubby and I both loved Alaska!
See for me, when I'm walking in 30 degree temps I simply do not feel it. You can feel my hands, my skin and I'm actually warm to the touch. It takes a lot for me to get cold. I do have moments when I get cold and want a sweater on but most who know me know that usually means I'm getting sick.
It's funny, when other people touch my hands they often say they're cold, but I honestly don't feel it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather