U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-20-2012, 08:57 AM

506 posts, read 519,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I try to drive a car to work as little as possible and attempt to ride my bicycle everywhere.
During temps of 80-120 degrees, I thrive since all I have to do is throw on jeans/shorts and t-shirt, and pedal out the back gate.
In temperatures below 40 degrees, I feel like I'm suiting up for a spacewalk just to go for a bike ride.
Does your workplace have a locker room where you shower after arriving?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 763 times
i love love love love cold weather the perfect temperature for me is below 70 degrees for sure. its easier to get in some comfy long sleeved pj's by the fire with hot chocolate than to walk outside in 100 degree weather without being able to do anything to get cool. I live in Georgia there was barely any cold weather this winter so i am kinda depressed the only thing i like about summer is swimming in the cool water.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:30 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,470,663 times
I think part of the reason why some people dislike the cold weather is because of something psychological. They find all kinds of reasons to justify the opposite which is warm weather. They fail to see the pluses of the cold. I wonder if these kinds of people would enjoy the weather if it was 120F. 120F whether it is dry or humid is terrible. The way that some people justify their hatred of the cold is really comical, almost like a comedy show IMO.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:33 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,583,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstieshae View Post
i love love love love cold weather the perfect temperature for me is below 70 degrees for sure. its easier to get in some comfy long sleeved pj's by the fire with hot chocolate than to walk outside in 100 degree weather without being able to do anything to get cool. I live in Georgia there was barely any cold weather this winter so i am kinda depressed the only thing i like about summer is swimming in the cool water.
I agree with your points. I'd also advise you to not post the same text three times. If you can delete the other posts.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:30 PM

250 posts, read 150,930 times
I get very stiff in cold weather, no matter how much clothes I have on. It's difficult to simply move around.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:41 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,583,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaMom View Post
I get very stiff in cold weather, no matter how much clothes I have on. It's difficult to simply move around.
If you get that way then you have good reason to dislike cold weather. Of course those of us such as myself who don't have such problems should have differing preferences. It goes back to what I always say: weather preference does and should depend on the person.

Oddly enough, I have the exact same problem (stiffness) in hot weather, especially when the nights don't cool off much, such as remaining above 70F all the time while I'm sleeping.

If it got up to 90F during the day but cooled down to 35F at night then that would be a lot easier than typical American summer weather for me. The 90F would still be awful but the big heat would last for a shorter time and wouldn't be present during sleeping hours. Although daytime temperatures are a big factor, it's nighttime lows that comprise the biggest chunk of my summer weather ratings (good, fair, poor, etc.).

Old 09-02-2012, 12:27 AM

1,272 posts, read 431,418 times
I find the discomfort of being cold far easier to tolerate than being hot. It's even enjoyable to a point. I remember walking around in a -25C blizzard for an hour and thinking it was awesome the whole time but I usually give up trying to do anything physical outside when it's over 20C as I start sweating like a horse.

Last edited by Hiromant; 09-02-2012 at 12:48 AM..

Old 09-02-2012, 01:14 AM

16,437 posts, read 11,242,423 times
I don't mind cold weather if it is dry out and above freezing. What I do not like is ice and snow, especially ice. I love fall weather.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:49 AM

7,039 posts, read 3,708,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I think part of the reason why some people dislike the cold weather is because of something psychological. They find all kinds of reasons to justify the opposite which is warm weather. They fail to see the pluses of the cold. I wonder if these kinds of people would enjoy the weather if it was 120F. 120F whether it is dry or humid is terrible. The way that some people justify their hatred of the cold is really comical, almost like a comedy show IMO.
This certainly doesn't apply to me. This is trying to make it really complicated and reading into it too much and it is far simpler to me, it is that I do not like the physical sensation of cold and I don't like that I have to wear a lot of clothing to go outside in cold. I do not like ice and I do not like my nose running. I do not like breathing in cold air. I do not like the feel of the cold going through my body (even when dressed appropriately) or the feel of it on any exposed skin. All perfectly valid reasons with none of this BS "psychological" stuff. So there's no justification of my dislike of cold necessary because it is firmly self evident and that is as simple as that.

I also wouldn't want continuous very extreme heat either for that matter. But I've experienced 122F and found it to be nowhere near as bad as 25F in a blizzard once when I got hypothermia after a few minutes (largely due to the wind though). So I'd actually rather 120F than below freezing although still not very comfortable. My ideal climate is one with a subtropical theme so mild winters of 60-70F and then summers 70-90F, quite comfortable and pleasant.

Something just feels very "ugly" about the cold to me that heat doesn't. Like a deathly "sucking" stinging feeling. In a way that is quite accurate because indeed in the cold your body heat is indeed being sucked out to the elements. Whereas to my perception warmth feels like sleeping in a comfortable warm bed under my blankets and very comfy and protecting.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:09 AM
B87

2,866 posts, read 1,301,626 times
I don't like cold weather because it is painful to walk around outside in it for more than about 10 minutes. I wear gloves if I have to go outside and its below 5-6C, otherwise my hands start to burn.

If it's 35C you can just go in the shade, and it doesn't feel painful in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather