Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 03:00 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,174,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
He can say the same to you, you live in Wisconsin? You don't know what real summers are like. Come spend a summer in the South and see how much you like it.

And also just because he currently lives in NC, doesn't mean he hasn't lived somewhere else. For all you know he could have lived in Siberia for a while.

And the reason they don't allow fatties in the military has nothing to do with sustaining heat, and everything to do with conditioning. It's a well-known fact that fit people are better conditioned (duh). Being able to sustain heat would be useless if you go to war with Russia for example.
I'm from south Texas. Pretty sure I know what real summers are like.

I also was stationed in the middle east. Our military is geared toward performing in desert climate these days. This includes the soldiers. There are plenty of bigger guys that can march with a hounded pounds of gear on, but can they typically can't do it in the desert heat. It's well known that being over weight puts one a greater risk for heat related illness, which is ONE of the reasons they don't let overweight people serve on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 10:29 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,196,344 times
I don't mind cool weather... I always loved snows in eastern Wisconsin when there would be a foot and the next day it was in the mid 30's outside and one could make snowmen and enjoy the weather. The last few years it's been much colder in Wisconsin and where I live now in eastern South Dakota it's just too cold for me.. once it gets under 20 degrees above zero I just don't want to be outside... and that is the majority of the winter here... cold spells that have it getting down to 10-20 below.. forget it.

A big problem is that snow does not melt off sidewalks/roads at these temps so it's just a mess to try and do anything. I don't mind cold snaps but prefer a climate where snow can melt after it falls before more arrives.

Rapid City SD fits this descriptions. Nice breaks of warmth that make the winter tolerable. Also when it's been below zero it makes 50 degrees feel that much better. The black hills create mountain effect snow so there's always some around if somebody wants it bad enough. Nice climate there.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:16 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,538,158 times
I absolutely love cold weather...its May now and I am already ready for snow. I think living in Georgia with all the humidity really drained me. I move to Michigan and have never looked back. I have all the snow I want. I like the fact that even with 5 inches nothing closes and the roads are kept cleared. I had to learn how to maneuver and sometimes driving can be challenging. But thats what makes it fun. I Love love love cold weather and snow.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:53 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,958,895 times
I like cold in the winter. Snow is beautiful, and the cold slows plant growth and keeps bugs to a minimum. I've gone for walks with temperatures in the 10s (F) before, and it's not actually that bad. Sure, it's cold, and having a hat, gloves, wool socks, and three or four layers is necessary for long periods of time outside, but that's just part of the fun of it being cold. This past winter we had the coldest late February on record, and I was frequently outside enjoying the cold and snow.

Also, temperatures in the 40s are not bad at all for me for outdoor activities, so long as it's not raining and I keep moving.

That being said, I would get sick persistent subfreezing temperatures if they lasted more than a few months. But that is never an issue in North Carolina.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:27 PM

824 posts, read 685,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
I like cold in the winter. Snow is beautiful, and the cold slows plant growth and keeps bugs to a minimum. I've gone for walks with temperatures in the 10s (F) before, and it's not actually that bad. Sure, it's cold, and having a hat, gloves, wool socks, and three or four layers is necessary for long periods of time outside, but that's just part of the fun of it being cold. This past winter we had the coldest late February on record, and I was frequently outside enjoying the cold and snow.

Also, temperatures in the 40s are not bad at all for me for outdoor activities, so long as it's not raining and I keep moving.

That being said, I would get sick persistent subfreezing temperatures if they lasted more than a few months. But that is never an issue in North Carolina.
Ditto. I'm in Greenville, SC, which is nearby, and I loved the cold Feburary, it had a good bit of snow too. I do need a warmer season to be happy, but not nearly as warm as it is for me and you.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:41 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,640,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I can survive in shorts and a t-shirt down to about 45f if its sunny.

So her going to get a jacket at 16c is just laughable.
Its all relative.Like 20 or 30 percent of my classmates (not me!) wear a light sweater even on a humid, sunny 30-32C day, outside!

Old 11-14-2015, 05:43 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,810,307 times
We retired to Tennessee in Sept of 2014.....the last winter we spent in Michigan was brutal, as it was for most of the north.We didn't get as much snow as Boston but I think we topped out at 95 inches for the winter......As someone pointed out, it snows then it may be sunny and 38*..then below zero at night so it all freezes and stays that way...And snows again.... Ruts in subdivisions...people park on the street so sometimes it is like Dodge Em cars....getting from point A to B was a mess....those below zero cold snaps went on for days.... We will never spend another winter there....It's fine when you don't have to go anywhere and stay warm inside but schlepping around in traffic, having to be somewhere is a pain....

At least here it snows and melts pretty quickly...although last winter..our first winter here was not like that as we were stuck on our mountain road for a few days because it was snow covered STEEP icy and slippery...go figure!!!! We bonded and lived off our fat for a few days....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather